Traveling to Hawaii with 1 lens...what to pick?

Touché! I might need to do this. ;)

The thing came way faster than expected...and it's TINY!
5143fccb67c5f63817b89e5d6e5fda3f.jpg

This conversation will never end. Your setup is gorgeous. Take the 35 and the 50. Go. Have fun. Show us your pictures when you get home.

Recently stumbled across 28 & 35 viewfinders made by Keks Camera in Taiwan (they make a hot shoe meter too). Have no experience with it but it appears compact with a resin shell, so it shouldn't be heavy.

I think your 35 and 50 will work very well, and I might add, the 28mm f2.8 Canon LTM is tinier than your 35mm f1.8, and as bright and sunny as Hawaii seems to be, the f2.8 should not be an issue at all. And man would it be sweet to get some wide angle shots of the mountains with the ocean, etc., etc.

Best,
-Tim

Eric, referencing another thread here on the forum, have you thought about how you are going to get your film out to Hawaii and back again via the airlines? As I mentioned in the other thread, on a recent trip I had rolls of color film & slides shipped from B&H (or whomever you buy your film from) directly to the first hotel we were staying at, and brought stamps and mailers and sent the exposed film directly to Dwaynes in Kansas for processing, from the hotel on the road. That way none of it ever had to go thru an airport with me and risk getting scanned. Just a thought.

Best,
-Tim

Traveling to Hawaii with 1 lens...what to pick?

Eric, referencing another thread here on the forum, have you thought about how you are going to get your film out to Hawaii and back again via the airlines? As I mentioned in the other thread, on a recent trip I had rolls of color film & slides shipped from B&H (or whomever you buy your film from) directly to the first hotel we were staying at, and brought stamps and mailers and sent the exposed film directly to Dwaynes in Kansas for processing, from the hotel on the road. That way none of it ever had to go thru an airport with me and risk getting scanned. Just a thought.

Best,
-Tim

I JUST realized this last night. I will have to ask for a manual security check it seems :/

Otherwise I could pre look up photo shops around the area (one was already mentioned) and stop there. Maybe bring some empty DarkRoom envelopes and send them off before flying back?

I think your 35 and 50 will work very well, and I might add, the 28mm f2.8 Canon LTM is tinier than your 35mm f1.8, and as bright and sunny as Hawaii seems to be, the f2.8 should not be an issue at all. And man would it be sweet to get some wide angle shots of the mountains with the ocean, etc., etc.

Best,
-Tim

All this talk about a 28 and viewfinder has me excited- but I really love the simplicity of having the package in the P (frame lines and focusing in one viewfinder).

I also utilize a hot-shoe meter sometimes but I'm really trying to practice Sunny16 when I can. Just there for checking when I'm unsure or during the dark times when I'm shooting wide open.

Treehouse Shop is a gem, highly recommended. They should have most of your film needs covered if you're worried about carrying film en route, and might even have an in-house photo lab now.

You could pick up a new (used) camera or lens there:

Or get some developing chemistry to develop on-site:

p.s. All photos taken with the Canon 50mm f/1.4 LTM. ;)

It would be a shame to visit Treehouse and not park the car and wander through the neighborhood, because it's become quite the outdoor art gallery, and there's always something new to see and it's always changing. Don't overlook alleys either:

med_U71056I1619729843.SEQ.0.jpg

med_U71056I1619729750.SEQ.2.jpg

med_U71056I1619729750.SEQ.1.jpg

Last. time I visited Hawaii I only had a 50mm lens. Camera M4-2. 100% black and white film. Plus my trusty iPhone.

I took my wife to Pearl Harbor which is pretty quiet now. There is the Arizona monument as well as the Missouri which is where Japan signed the papers to end, the pacific theater, World War II.

I enjoyed visiting the other islands many which have few people. I like that.

My next trip with my wife will be south of the equator.

Treehouse Shop is a gem, highly recommended. They should have most of your film needs covered if you're worried about carrying film en route, and might even have an in-house photo lab now.
p.s. All photos taken with the Canon 50mm f/1.4 LTM. ;)

I've been on a Tri-x kick so I see I'll be happy there :)

Great suggestions from everybody! Looking forward to this...

I can't get over how small the 35 1.8 LTM is... it makes the already pretty small 50 1.4 LTM feel like that fat pig in the parking lot!

This might be the daily carry once I get a lens cap...

Touché! I might need to do this. ;)

The thing came way faster than expected...and it's TINY!
5143fccb67c5f63817b89e5d6e5fda3f.jpg

I have a Canon P and the 50/1.4 and 35/2.8. I am favouring using 35mm lenses lately, and if using 35mm with the P I'd use an external finder for the reasons mentioned in this thread. My 50 1.4 is sharper but heavier and the focus is slightly heavier too, which can be an issue for street photography (occasionally I accidentally unscrew the lens thread mount while focusing).

Potentially opening another can of worms, but out of interest why did you attach your wrist strap for the right hand?

I have a Canon P and the 50/1.4 and 35/2.8. I am favouring using 35mm lenses lately, and if using 35mm with the P I'd use an external finder for the reasons mentioned in this thread. My 50 1.4 is sharper but heavier and the focus is slightly heavier too, which can be an issue for street photography (occasionally I accidentally unscrew the lens thread mount while focusing).

Potentially opening another can of worms, but out of interest why did you attach your wrist strap for the right hand?

The focus on my 35 gets a little heavy at the closer distances but it's much quicker than the slow/long focus of the 50.

Regarding the strap, I'm not sure? I typically hold it with my right hand but I think I will try it on my left. Honestly I usually am using a sling strap like this: http://www.artisan-n-artist.com/product_detail.php?id=189

Typically it hangs on my right side so I think I'm just accustomed to having my camera on my right.

I never really gave it much thought.

The focus on my 35 gets a little heavy at the closer distances but it's much quicker than the slow/long focus of the 50.

Regarding the strap, I'm not sure? I typically hold it with my right hand but I think I will try it on my left. Honestly I usually am using a sling strap like this: http://www.artisan-n-artist.com/product_detail.php?id=189

Typically it hangs on my right side so I think I'm just accustomed to having my camera on my right.

I never really gave it much thought.

Now I've remembered something on this: FujiFilm, I had it with a thumb grip which works on the right hand. This is why I'm used to carrying my camera with my right hand.

I think I prefer my strap on the left hand, so I can cradle the lens when carrying the camera around, and also being right-handed I can use my right hand more readily for other things (mostly paying for coffees!). I have an old leather Bolex wrist strap that connects to the tripod mount, so with certain cameras it will be in different positions. It's the right hand side on my M2. I was just never sure whether one side was "recommended".

which lens.."definitive" answer

which lens.."definitive" answer

I have a P and both the 50 1.4 and 35 2.0 for it. I prefer shooting with the 50. I prefer travelling with the 35. So, for a trip where you are taking one lens, the 35. It is a fantastic lens in its own right.

Back