Traveling

Why wouldn’t we be able to take the batteries in our cameras? What am I missing? This seems pretty counter-productive to tourism and the current world. My guess is this has nothing to do with the average Joe here in RFF right?

Why wouldn’t we be able to take the batteries in our cameras? What am I missing? This seems pretty counter-productive to tourism and the current world. My guess is this has nothing to do with the average Joe here in RFF right?

You can take batteries in your cameras. The problem is with those extra batteries you’ll need whether it be vacation or assignment. Carry those loose in a gadget bag or equipment case onto a plan, you will get stopped at the security check, or, at least, I have been stopped. Put the same batteries in a little box with their terminals taped - no problem. I have found individual security personnel wildly different in the strictness of their approach; so, a pleasant smile and a few thoughtful words are well advised. And, obviously, if you do a fair amount of travel, TSA precheck does even more than a pleasant smile. And remember, you are probably going to need Real ID by the end of this year to board domestic flights, gear or no gear. So check with your DMV.

Very helpful article. Yes TSA precheck has saved me a lot of hassle. Just checked my driver's license. It has the REAL ID star on it, so I'm good to go.

You couldn't get me on a plane for a while still. Of course I've never enjoyed flying in the overcrowded tin cans they call modern commercial airlines.

My understanding is that checked baggage is subject to much greater temperature swings and thus batteries are not a good idea.

Gibberish article. Tape, press card, ID. Is he OK?

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco...e batteries are,can remain in checked baggage.
Lithium Ion Cell Battery Packs - with a rating of less than 100 Wh each
The following are permitted in carry-on baggage only*:

Personal electronic devices containing accepted lithium ion cells or battery packs with a rating of less than 100 Wh each
Spare lithium ion cells or battery packs with a rating of less than 100 Wh each
If the cells are removed from the device and carried on board, the device can remain in checked baggage.

https://www.klm.com/travel/ca_en/pr... maximum of 20 spare,160 Wh are never allowed.

Lithium batteries
Devices equipped with a lithium battery up to 100 Wh may be kept in either your hand baggage or check-in baggage. When carrying them in your check-in baggage, these devices must be completely switched off and must be protected from damage. You may bring a maximum of 15 electronic devices up to 100 Wh per passenger without requesting permission.
Separate spare lithium batteries and power banks (for devices such as laptops, mobile phones, and medical equipment) may only be carried in your hand baggage. A maximum of 20 spare batteries up to 100 Wh per passenger is allowed without requesting permission.

Flying post 911 with photo gear became a major PITA. I've had all kinds of problems when traveling with a lot of gear. When leaving a NASA event, with full NASA, FBI security crap hanging from my neck, TSA at John Wayne detained me, opening every lens cover, front and rear, etc. I was told, they were looking for plastic explosives.

Burk Uzzle pretty much quit flying. He drove to his distant assignments, with his clients agreeing to his methods. I doubt, many of us could have pulled that off.

I no longer have to fly, it's my choice when doing it now.

Fortunately I don't HAVE to so I don't. Travel by air that is. We RV about the country rather than travel about the world these days. No limit on weight or type of gear.

My advice, if riding on an airplane, don’t pack any batteries into checked luggage. Just take them all as carry ons. Or pre-ship them to your destination using a carrier like UPS or Fed X. Fire would be the kiss of death on an airplane. All that fast moving oxygen to fan it. If a fire got started in the luggage compartment, it’s underneath you, how would someone get to it pronto quickly to try to extinguish it? It probably would take too much time to get to it. At least, as a carry on, you'd have a chance.

I was a fire fire fighter in the Navy and it can happen really quickly. Panic can take hold. The ship next to us, while operating in the DMZ (Vietnam) they didn’t get to the big gun on time. The gun mount blew up killing four people.

Be safe.

Fortunately I don't HAVE to so I don't. Travel by air that is. We RV about the country rather than travel about the world these days. No limit on weight or type of gear.

If you can pull it off, that's a great way to the USA. I did in the '60's in a VW camper bus. A bit more primitive, but the sights are the same. Bravo!

I'm probably in the final five years or so of being able to haul the trailer around, I intend to make the most that I can of it.

I had to give up the 5th wheel trailer a few years ago. But it was great while it lasted.
Gettin' old is a pain. Literally.

My spare LR44 and CR123 more of a swallowing hazard than explosive risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were discussing the USA not Canada

I see. It was us in OP as US.
But why you are concerned. You are with M-A now.
I was flying with M4-2 all over the States for work in 2018-2019.
No battery, but new scanners.
And my senior colleague was loaded with computers and power banks. But he used, how is it called. Nexus?

KLM is not Canada, btw. It is more like United.

In SE Asia, most carriers do not allow lithium-ion batteries in checked baggage. You can bring one battery inside a camera into the cabin and each passenger can carry a maximum of two spare lithium batteries of 100-160Wh into the cabin.

Back