Travelwide 4x5

Iogdka

Local time
6:03 PM
Not exactly a Rangefinder, but close enough! This is an affordable, compact and light point 'n shoot 4x5" camera.

Please support their Kickstarter so these cameras can be made!

Sheet film on the road is not pain. Probably one of the Speed Graphic press cameras or Bush Pressman is what you need.

Enter water at your own risk, no guards on duty, seriously.

Compact?? Lightweight?? Not if you have to carry a bunch of 4x5 film holders, box of film, box for exposed film, and a changing bag!

Compact?? Lightweight?? Not if you have to carry a bunch of 4x5 film holders, box of film, box for exposed film, and a changing bag!
Quite. the whole concept of 'lightweight, simple' 4x5 cameras has been done several times before. Never successfully, yet.

Cheers,

R.

IMO large format optics need to be stopped-down, to get a decent depth-of-focus. And film speed that is not sufficient for the conditions at hand is also an issue.

These look great! They look a lot more travel friendly than the speed graphic. I have walked about with a heavy bag too many times and this looks like it will more than half the load.
I would love to walk about with one of these, shooting 5x4 handheld is good fun too...

Quite. the whole concept of 'lightweight, simple' 4x5 cameras has been done several times before.

Not at anywhere near the price. If you already have a 90 that will fit, at $99 it's cheap enough to be a fun accessory for occasional entertainment. If you don't, it's not a bad value even as just a pinhole camera.

It's not a substitute for a view camera. It's a fun specialty item.

I don't know, this and a few grafamatics? Would be very interesting.
Have you tried it? I have. Rigid-bodied 'lightweight' 4x5 cameras seldom save much weight and sacrifice a LOT of versatility.

Grafmatics can be overrated too. I have half a dozen.

For me, it's a question of being in love with idea versus being in love with the pictures. See http://www.rogerandfrances.com/sgallery/g sepia 2.html

Cheers,

R.

Now if the impossible project will make me some 4x5 films...

They can't, the machines no longer exist.

I bought the 90 when it was still available for $69. Mad I waiting a few seconds because I could have gotten it for the $49 option.

Here's the nice thing about Kickstarter, whenever you see one that you might be interested in even a little. Buy in. You can always cancel later on. But you can't get that cheaper option down the road.

They can't, the machines no longer exist.

I bought the 90 when it was still available for $69. Mad I waiting a few seconds because I could have gotten it for the $49 option.

Here's the nice thing about Kickstarter, whenever you see one that you might be interested in even a little. Buy in. You can always cancel later on. But you can't get that cheaper option down the road.

No way! they have 8x10. All they need to do is cut their 8x10 stock in quarters. No?

ps. I am not doing that on my own

No way! they have 8x10. All they need to do is cut their 8x10 stock in quarters. No?

ps. I am not doing that on my own

No, the machines they use do just about everything at once. From packing the pods with chemicals, to assembly and final packaging.

They did do some 20x24 images but those were hand assembled and certainly not suitable for mass production.

Hi guys,

I'm the creator of the Travelwide, along with my friend Justin. TRUST ME when I say this camera is lighter and easier in the field than a Graphic. I took a Super Graphic all over Bali a year and a half ago. In October I went to Brazil with the Travelwide, and there is no comparison. 5+ pounds versus less than one pound? It makes a huge difference. HUGE.

Honestly I'm a little surprised to see this camera pooh-poohed by users on this forum. I'm a longtime RFF fan, and I basically made this camera for you. It's lighter than a Zeiss Ikon, which is lighter than an M3. And it's 4x5!

To get a better sense of what's possible, take a look at the sample images on our Flickr:
http://flickr.com/photos/wanderlustcamera

These are not "demo" images. They're real snapshots I took while traveling or hanging out. Most of them are wide open (ƒ/6.8). The Angulon is not a clinical modern lens, so you won't see the detail at 4000 DPI that you would with a Zeiss. But then again, you don't need it. A slightly out-of-focus shot on 4x5 will beat the pants off the best Leica lenses and an M7.

Anyway, this camera is what it is: a tough, $99 hardbody scale focus camera that weighs basically nothing and lets you pack a 4x5 in addition to your normal camera setup. When I was designing it, the RFF community really was foremost in my mind. So I hope you guys like it and spread the word.

Thanks!

It looks promising, reminds me of the globuscope 4x5. I like the integrated helical. It is a shame it doesn't shift though.
I wonder if your copy of the 90mm Angulon flares more than mine does, I haven't had that issue with it.

Well, I've got $ in already. Picked up a 90 angulon a while back w/ no real use for it, so... at the price it's pretty hard to turn down.

Might have to put in for the 65 body too though. hmm...

-Brian

It looks promising, reminds me of the globuscope 4x5. I like the integrated helical. It is a shame it doesn't shift though.
I wonder if your copy of the 90mm Angulon flares more than mine does, I haven't had that issue with it.
Thank you! The Globuscope is cool.

The Angulon I used is from the 50s and thus probably a little more flare-prone. Also, our 3D printing material is essentially white translucent. The outside is dyed black, but it still lets tons of light through. We've taped up the cameras inside, but I think we need to tape them outside as well. I'm 99% sure the final production version won't flare nearly as bad.

I like the concept. Just checked keh and they seem to be fresh out of 90 mm angulons. Does this design work with other 90s like the Sinaron or Graflex Optar?

Back