Tri-X, OUCH!!!

Timmyjoe

Mentor
Local time
8:02 AM
My film shooting decreased greatly during the pandemic, and I also had quite a few rolls of Tri-X in the freezer. Went to restock this morning and OUCH!!! What happened?

Tri-X is double what I paid for it three years ago. Do folks think this is a temporary spike, and hopefully it will come back down, or do we think this is permanent and will only go up from here?

Best,
-Tim

From reading the forums here on RFF, it seems all film is more expensive, and many think film won't go down soon, if at all. Besides the pandemic with its supply problems, I have been reading and seeing on TV that there is a resurgence of interest in film and the cameras needed to use it. I sure hope the interest continues by the prices go down.

There are plenty of cheaper alternatives to Tri-X.

Exactly. Used to shoot Tri-x for years, now I found a workflow for the HP5 and I like it even more. If I need more contrast (ie winter time) I use Pan400. Even if Tri-x goes down to half its price I doubt I will switch to it. TMax 400 is a different story thought.

Here is no film use resurgence in real world, just a hype on the web. Those are not using film as main source of the image anymore, but to make digital noise about it. Not so much film is needed.
Kids are buying film cameras, but only to show off how cool they are.

To keep profit with less sales, price rising is the only solution.

My film shooting decreased greatly during the pandemic, and I also had quite a few rolls of Tri-X in the freezer. Went to restock this morning and OUCH!!! What happened?

Tri-X is double what I paid for it three years ago. Do folks think this is a temporary spike, and hopefully it will come back down, or do we think this is permanent and will only go up from here?

Best,
-Tim

I am no economist, but I do believe that the "balloon/feather" principle applies here. I will paraphrase (assuming that some real economists will correct any errors): Prices go up like a balloon, but go down like a feather. Even if the unthinkable happened, such as major motion picture studios returning to both panchromatic and color films for feature-length projects, we will wait for a long time for the price of ANYTHING to drop to its "pre-<you fill in the event here>" level.

Naturally, we can spin many hypotheses why, but it likely boils down to greed, pure and simple.

Exactly. Used to shoot Tri-x for years, now I found a workflow for the HP5 and I like it even more. If I need more contrast (ie winter time) I use Pan400. Even if Tri-x goes down to half its price I doubt I will switch to it. TMax 400 is a different story thought.

Exactly. Used to shoot Tri-x for years, now I found a workflow for the HP5 and I like it even more. If I need more contrast (ie winter time) I use Pan400. Even if Tri-x goes down to half its price I doubt I will switch to it. TMax 400 is a different story thought. [/QUOTE]

Years ago when I got back in to photography I used Tri-X because lots of people talked about it, and it was all I could get. Then I decided to try HP5 and got some from one of the mail order houses. I loved it. I also tried HP4 and like it better that the Kodak 125 ASA film. I not only liked the Ilford 'look' better, those two films dried without any water spots even without using fingers or whatever else to dry or spread out water drops. Even if there was a water drop, you could just watch absorb into the surrounding film without leaving any residue. I don't know if Ilford has changed anything or if it is still that way. What is your experience?

If you shoot b&w alot, you almost have to roll your own. It's a big money saver. And unlike c41 films, most popular b&w films come in 100 feet.

B&H 35mm Tri-X, $12.99. HP5 $8.99.

Sounds like Tri-x is cheaper in US than Europe and HP5 more expensive (Not surprising due to shipping costs). Speedgraphic currently sells 10 rolls Hp5s for £68 and 10 Tri-x for £105. I bought 10 rolls of hp5 in Sept with a discount code I found online for about £60.

If you like the look of the older Tri-X, check out Kentmere 400. Nicer price, too.

I have tried a few rolls of the Kentmere 400 (and 100) film(s)). A thread in this forum posts lots of images made with Kentmere 400, processed in HC-110 (or LegacyPro 110), dilution "B" (1 + 31) for about 5.5 minutes @ 20 degrees C. While does a nice job of rendering some tones (such as lighter skin), I don't find that it has the details in the shadows nor do I see a pronounced "shoulder" (roll-off) in the highlights--these are features I associated with TriX. But, I'm processing it in Clayton F76+, 1+9, for about 6:20 at 22-23 degrees C, following the recommended agitation schedule. Moreover, I am not certain of this, but it also appears that the Kentmere rolls (all 36 exposure) have more "surface" defects than HP5 or TriX. Perhaps others who have more experience with this particular film can shed some light?

Even if there was a water drop, you could just watch absorb into the surrounding film without leaving any residue. I don't know if Ilford has changed anything or if it is still that way. What is your experience?

Water in the town I live is quite hard and it does leave stains but I never had any issues with gently wiping them. They seem to be quite resistant to scratches

I'm a huge fan of XP2. Not real b&w but is really easy to deal with, predictable, scans well, and consistent. Not too $$$ in 100 foot rolls. I miss BW400CN or whatever Kodaks last one was, though.

It might be wise to shop for film now according to a news story I read today. The Silver Institute, a US-based agency monitoring the metal is warning of a major supply shortage of silver expected towards the end of this year. The largest consumers driving this development is car electronics, 5G technologies and solar panels. Film is probably far down on the list, behind jewellery and houseware. So far this year the price of silver has dropped by 10%, but the demand is expected to increase by 16% over last year.

It appears to be a 'whatever the fool pays' kind of market. Little to do with supply and perfectly explained by greed. There is a lot of price gouging going on with price variations for the same film of up to 50%.

On a beside, if there was a true film revival, Costco would sell it. Cheers, OtL

I was able to pick up 14 rolls of 35mm (36 exposure) Tri-x off the auction site last week. Slightly expired 2016/2017 but for less than $6.50/roll including shipping and taxes I'm good with that...
I can also roll my own film so when I find 100' rolls at a decent price I try to buy those too...

If you shoot b&w alot, you almost have to roll your own. It's a big money saver. And unlike c41 films, most popular b&w films come in 100 feet.

I do roll my own. Right before Covid hit, I bought three 100 ft rolls of Tri-X at $73.95 per roll, now it's $149.95 per roll. So it's practically doubled in price as well.

Best,
-Tim

Reactions: das
I'm a huge fan of XP2. Not real b&w but is really easy to deal with, predictable, scans well, and consistent. Not too $$$ in 100 foot rolls. I miss BW400CN or whatever Kodaks last one was, though.

Wow, I had forgotten all about XP2. But isn't it more expensive to develop being a C41 process?

Wow, I had forgotten all about XP2. But isn't it more expensive to develop being a C41 process?

I just get it developed by a local lab and scan at home. If you can do c41 at home, it would obviously be much cheaper. I read somewhere that XP2 could be developed in some kind of b&w process, but I've never tried it.

Back