Trichromy - RGB color separation

Spectacularly good results, dourbalistar - those colors look so pure and clean!

Thank you, Pál_K, much appreciated!

I'll see how I get on with GIMP. I suspect my lack of technological knowhow will be the main issue!

I had no prior experience with GIMP (or Photoshop for that matter) but the instructions I followed are very good. I'm no expert, but happy to share my process if you have questions.

I think this is my best result so far. :)

Nikon FM2n, AI Nikkor 50mm f/1.8S, Ultrafine Xtreme 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes. Three individual black and white frames shot through Tiffen #25 Red, #58 Green, and #47 Blue filters, respectively, then combined using GIMP to create a trichrome color image.

2020.05.09 Roll #244-04727-positive-trichrome.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

Nikon FM2n, AI Nikkor 50mm f/1.8S, Ultrafine eXtreme 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes. Three individual black and white frames shot through Tiffen #25 Red, #58 Green, and #47 Blue filters, respectively, then combined using GIMP to create a trichrome color image.

I haven't dropped into this thread for a little while, @dourbalistar... I see that you've been getting more really excellent results. Great stuff - keep at it! :)

I haven't dropped into this thread for a little while, @dourbalistar... I see that you've been getting more really excellent results. Great stuff - keep at it! :)

Thank you! Ran out of steam for a bit, but looking to get back to making a few more attempts.

Some roses from our front yard.

Nikon FM2n, AI Nikkor 50mm f/1.8S, Kentmere Pan 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes. Three individual black and white frames shot through Tiffen 25 Red, 58 Green, and 47 Blue filters, respectively, then combined using GIMP to create a trichrome color image.

2020.05.09 Roll #244-04738-positive-trichrome.jpg by dourbalistar, on Flickr

Very nice, @dourbalistar! You've mastered this technique. I doubt anyone could tell that this wasn't taken as a colour photograph.:)

Edit: The only clue that it offers is that (IMO) the colour density is slightly better than a colour photograph.

As a student I worked for a couple of days with a pack shot photographer just off the Earls Court Road.

He was doing in camera separations using a 5 x 4 studio camera, filters etc. At the time it was cheaper than having a repro house do separations and b/w film and processing was of course much cheaper too. I remember it being important that the image on the negs was the correct size for print.

Very nice, @dourbalistar! You've mastered this technique. I doubt anyone could tell that this wasn't taken as a colour photograph.:)

Edit: The only clue that it offers is that (IMO) the colour density is slightly better than a colour photograph.

tbhv55, thank you, that's much too kind of you. These are among my first attempts, so I can hardly say that I've mastered the technique. :) I have noticed that some colors can come out very punchy, even with no additional vibrance or saturation added in post processing.

A total eclipse of the filters... ;)

1st Generation Mitsubishi Eclipse / Eagle Talon / Plymouth Laser (1990-1994).

Nikon FM2n, AI Nikkor 50mm f/1.8S, Ultrafine eXtreme 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes. Three individual black and white frames shot through Tiffen #25 Red, #58 Green, and #47 Blue filters, respectively, then combined using GIMP to create a trichrome color image.

2020.05.14 Roll #245-04793-positive-trichrome.jpg

1966 Chevrolet Caprice.

2020.05.14 Roll #245-04799-positive-trichrome.jpg

When I see these pics, I can’t help but wonder if this effect could be replicated purely through software. I’d never want to shoot color film again! But I don’t know anything about software.

When I see these pics, I can’t help but wonder if this effect could be replicated purely through software.

Yes, it can be done in very easily in Photoshop, using the merge channels function.

My guess is that it's also possible using Gimp. That program has a reputation for being a powerful tool, but I know very little about using it.

Yes, it can be done in very easily in Photoshop, using the merge channels function.

My guess is that it's also possible using Gimp. That program has a reputation for being a powerful tool, but I know very little about using it.

But is that without using three images shot through three colored filters? That was what I was really wondering about. Specifically, could software replicate the three-color filter effects using a single b&w negative?

Back