Trying to explain to someone what film is..

Huss

Mentor
Local time
4:36 PM
The dood who came into my gallery wasn't that young. Maybe 30. But when we were talking about the images, he had no idea what film was. When I tried to explain that it was a physical medium that reacted to light and was developed with chemicals, it was like I was talking witchcraft.
In the end I gave up, and said any cool pic you saw before 2000 was shot on film...

I almost feel like I was getting punked..
:)

I used to do a little 2 hour talk for our University photography society about film, film cameras and the like. Part of this was throwing a camera around at the start for everyone to take pics of each other, then during the talk we would develop the film (to show how quick and easy B&W can be), at the end of the talk we would show the pictures (The uni had these projectors for displaying book pages on the projection screen, you could put a light table on there and they had a negative mode :))

One year I had a girl who just could not get the concept of film and was very confused at why you couldn't erase your film like a memory card to take more pictures on it. I must have tried to explain this for 10-15 mins before i just gave up.

Most people only have a superficial understanding of many subjects. It's understandable that someone with no prior experience with photography would be ignorant of the basics we photographers take for granted.

I got a kick out of this one

I got a kick out of this one

A guest at our house saw my enlarger and asked why I had a Euro type plug on my "pillar drill". aka "drill press" in American English. I explained what an enlarger is for, but I'm not sure he got it...I can see why he thought that - they do look a bit like a drill press.

LOL, I've had to explain to a couple of house guests what the Jobo is for.

Fortunately they understand it. "You mean you can develop film at home?" :)

Back