Turn off the VR for long exposures

Huss

Mentor
Local time
10:48 PM
Perhaps others are aware of this, but VR is terrible for sharpness at long exposures.
Scanning film at base ISO, such that I do, results in timings in the seconds per exposure.
This one was 6 secs @ ISO 64 @f11. With VR on (in body, 60mm Micro G lens, FTZ adapter), it's blurry.
With VR off, sharp.
I am using the ES-2 film holder, 60mm G lens, FTZ, Z7, hand held:

VR should be turned off for any stable platform as well. For example, on a tripod.

Hand-holding 6 seconds is impressive, nothing I would even attempt, so well done.

You're doing 6 seconds hand-held? Surely I am reading that wrong.
EDIT: I just realized the film holder is attached to the lens so maybe it doesn't matter....

You're doing 6 seconds hand-held? Surely I am reading that wrong.
EDIT: I just realized the film holder is attached to the lens so maybe it doesn't matter....

Exactly, the film holder is rigidly attached to the lens, essentially one piece.
So I can wave that thing around and still get a steady shot.

Usually the exposures are about 1/2 sec, but I was using my ceiling light as a light source not my usual light pad, as I was just testing the camera to make sure it is ok for film scanning. Cuz now I can sell my D850.

I use a powerful lamp and I get exposures of 1/30-1/80 at iso 200 and F8
Besides I have no VR at all

I use ISO 64 - 2 stops less than ISO200, and f11 - one stop less than f8.
3 stops less exposure than you, so pretty much your powerful lamp is equal to me using my lightpad.

Never used VR before as my other cameras did not have it. So this was an interesting experiment.

Hi Huss,
what shutter speed?
Actually I have a big problem with my lamp because I will need to protect my eyes or risk some damage going forward to archive my slides
Here is a link:
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B019MISIPY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y21WQYQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

at iso 64, f11, pointing the camera directly at it, depending on negative density shutter speed varies from 1/4 to 1 sec

My VR test was just pointed at my ceiling light which had a much lower intensity due to distance etc which resulted in the 6 sec exposure.

Huss, this is an exotic case. VR doesn't know the Negative is being held rigid-to-the-camera while whole rig moves during hand held exposure. It's trying to compensate as though you are pointed at a fixed scene.

I say, "Turn off VR when using the Nikon Digitizer."

Huss, this is an exotic case. VR doesn't know the Negative is being held rigid-to-the-camera while whole rig moves during hand held exposure. It's trying to compensate as though you are pointed at a fixed scene.

I say, "Turn off VR when using the Nikon Digitizer."

Actually Nikon just announced a recall for VR issues on the Z cameras!
Not all are affected but mine is. One checks by entering the camera's serial # on Nikon's site. I dropped it off yesterday, they said it will be ready in a week.

Actually Nikon just announced a recall for VR issues on the Z cameras!
Not all are affected but mine is. One checks by entering the camera's serial # on Nikon's site. I dropped it off yesterday, they said it will be ready in a week.

Good luck with repairs. Bravo Nikon for identifying problem and recalling.

"It's the first of its kind and compatible with most flatbed scanners available in the market." - https://shop.lomography.com/en/digitaliza-120-scanning-mask (emphasis added)

I don't see an advantage over the 120 film mask for my Canon Canoscan 9000F. Am I missing something?

Respectfully,

- Arved

It's just a film holder that uses magnets to hold the film and keep it flat.
If you have a film holder that works there is no reason to change.

Back