Two Questions

Digital allows statistical shooting at no additional cost. Film does not.
Way back in 2009, I added up all the frames I shot during the first year of owning two Nikon D3 bodies. If I had shot E100S transparency film instead, the cost of just the film and initial developing---no prints made---would have paid for the two D3 bodies!

I’d be interested to know where you got the idea that shooting digital requires less thought and that we’re all just blindly blasting away).

I really don't think that, but when you are starting a forum conversation you're not going to get much of a response to a statement that produces something between general agreement and mild disinterest. The subject you are shooting and what you are trying to accomplish with that subject is most often going to have much more effect on the way you shoot than whether you are shooting film or digital. As for me, since I no longer have to shoot sports, it's been a long time since I shot a "burst" of anything.

I didn't address the second question but it seems to me that there was all kinds of interest in motor drives way before digital so the urge to spray isn't new and if that is one's style there won't be much reason to stop it with digital. I couldn't afford a camera that had a motor drive and never got into the spray and pray thing but I have heard several compelling cases for using it. Action shots of course, hand held the second shot is supposed to be sharper, and so on. Why do we need to worry about how to stop that?

I didn't address the second question but it seems to me that there was all kinds of interest in motor drives way before digital so the urge to spray isn't new and if that is one's style there won't be much reason to stop it with digital. I couldn't afford a camera that had a motor drive and never got into the spray and pray thing but I have heard several compelling cases for using it. Action shots of course, hand held the second shot is supposed to be sharper, and so on. Why do we need to worry about how to stop that?

Why? Machismo. Haha

For photographing motorsports I use my D700. Anything faster than 3 frames per second was distracting and broke my concentration.

Other than that, with digital cameras or the few film cameras I have with a motor drive, I have it set to expose just a single frame when pressing the release.

Back