Two specific cameras to discuss, please ...

dmr

Registered Abuser
Local time
4:52 AM
If I might get the conversation started here ...

Jason, I wonder if you might be willing to discuss two very specific cameras, both which appear in my non-collection :) and with which I'm sure you're very familiar.

The first is probably my only true "collectable" camera, a Kodak Vest Pocket Model B, which was very recently given to me by a FOAF.

It appears to be in good condition, but obviously well-used by its original owner(s). The bellows appears to still be light tight.

I've googled it, and it appears to date from 1925-1934. It uses 127 film, which, of course, is increasingly difficult to find.

My specific questions are ...

What's it worth? As a corollary, how rare is it? Would you consider it to be a true collectable?

Do you know what the shutter speed and f/numbers are? It has two shutter positions, "T" and "I", obviously time and instantaneous. The stops are fixed and numbered 1-4.

Would it be better to give this a good clean-up and try actually using it, or would it be better to simply hold on to it, continue using it as a conversation piece, and possibly sell or pass on to a true collector?

The second is "My Baby", the Mamiya Super Deluxe rangefinder. One of these was my first "real camera" (bought used) in my teens, and the quest to re-acquire one of them led me to this site some 15 years ago.

Although I'm sure that you don't consider this to be "rare" at all, it does appear to be somewhat uncommon and definitely uncommon in regular use.

Although it's somewhat larger than many of the fixed-lens rangefinders of the era, it's a great performer, tack-sharp, easy to shoot, and reasonably accurate as far as the match-needle meter is concerned. (Just don't forget to turn the meter off!) :)

The thing is, I don't remember this camera getting much, if any, exposure in the photo mags in the 60s-70s, and I don't ever recall knowing anyone else who used one.

Was this just one of those oddballs which was quickly withdrawn from the market, or did this have a following which I'm not aware of?

Do you know why, particularly, this one always seemed to fly under the radar?

Thanks, Jason, and again, Welcome To RFF! :)

36343-kvpb0320-c.jpg

651773-r1-011-4-19876136046-o-c.jpg

I also have a Model B. Miraculously, the bellows are in great shape... But the faux-leather on the camera body is pretty poor. The camera was never stored particularly well. Keep in mind the B is a pretty common camera. They probably made millions of them. If I understand correctly, the earlier models with the accordion-strut front that comes out parallel to the camera body are more desireable to collectors.

A little from the Model B:

AUQwvz.jpg

TA2L1r.jpg

Shooting with cameras that take 127 film

Shooting with cameras that take 127 film

Yes you can buy 127 film, but these days it's custom re-rolled for the most part and too damned expensive to be practical except for an occasional shoot. Even my gorgeous black 1965 Baby Rollei languishes unused. As for your lovely VPK model B, it's a common camera you can easily snag for $25 or less and it's worth running a roll through just for fun, but a Box Brownie #2 will do just as well, and it takes 120 film. The uncommon Mamiya Super Deluxe is not a thing of beauty IMHO but it's definitely a great user-collectible and I believe some models had f/1.4 or f/1.6 lenses that are very good, so good shooting!

Back