Ultron 35mm f2 Aspherical vs Summicron 35mm f2 ASPH

Jon, curious what your thoughts are regarding the build quality and ergonomics of the Ultron.

Build quality is top notch - definitely a vast improvement over the LTM and initial M-mount lenses. Overall, the lens feels very solid and focus feels precise and smooth with no play at all.

As for ergonomics, the lens is a lightweight but has just enough heft to it to balance nicely on my MP on a neck strap, unlike a Color Skopar 35/2.5 which is so light the lens always tilts upward. The aperture ring is like the Nokton 35 & 40 f1.4 - easy enough to use. The stick is fine for me, but focusing is also possible by gripping the chrome knurling just forward of the stick. The ergonomics work for me.

My gear lust for a V2 or V3 Summicron 35mm has now evaporated, so my wallet is happy about that. Actually, I'm now eyeing off my Summicron ASPH while calculating what I could do with the cash if I sold it lol.

Build quality is top notch - definitely a vast improvement over the LTM and initial M-mount lenses. Overall, the lens feels very solid and focus feels precise and smooth with no play at all.

As for ergonomics, the lens is a lightweight but has just enough heft to it to balance nicely on my MP on a neck strap, unlike a Color Skopar 35/2.5 which is so light the lens always tilts upward. The aperture ring is like the Nokton 35 & 40 f1.4 - easy enough to use. The stick is fine for me, but focusing is also possible by gripping the chrome knurling just forward of the stick. The ergonomics work for me.

My gear lust for a V2 or V3 Summicron 35mm has now evaporated, so my wallet is happy about that. Actually, I'm now eyeing off my Summicron ASPH while calculating what I could do with the cash if I sold it lol.

Thanks for your initial impressions and photos of this lens. If I were in the market for a 35mm lens for Leica M, I would strongly consider this lens. The ergonomics don't look that different from the 28/3.5 Color Skopar, a much loved and used lens. Is that about right?

Incidentally, your Instagram feed of your life in Japan is inspiring me about an upcoming trip I will be making this summer. Cheers!

The ergonomics don't look that different from the 28/3.5 Color Skopar, a much loved and used lens. Is that about right?
Yep, pretty much the same as a Skopar 28/3.5.

Incidentally, your Instagram feed of your life in Japan is inspiring me about an upcoming trip I will be making this summer. Cheers!
Thanks! Glad to hear you found some inspiration there.

Jon, is the stick removable?

Erik, my guess is that the stick is just a screw in piece, but I do not intend to experiment to see if it does screw out. Besides, what would you do with the hole that would remain after its screwed out? Would look pretty ugly imo.

Erik, my guess is that the stick is just a screw in piece, but I do not intend to experiment to see if it does screw out. Besides, what would you do with the hole that would remain after its screwed out? Would look pretty ugly imo.

Jon, thank you, this is perfectly all right.

Erik.

Everything about this lens looks great. After using a CV lens with the stick, I found that stick or tab are fine for me. Thanks for the ongoing impressions and comments Jon!

Looks fantastic - Don't know if I'd get rid of the asph cron just yet but it looks about equal to it. I'm curious to see the real world wide open samples start to roll out.

It would be also interesting to compare the Ultron 35mm f/2 with the recent Ultron 35mm f/1.7. The f/2 is much smaller, but the f/1.7 is hard to beat optically.

Erik.

I own the 35mm f1.7 Ultron, 35mm f2 Summicron ASPH and the Ultron is a superior lens on my digital M262 compared to the Leica. Sharper and way more flare resistant. The Summicron ASPH flares horribly while the 35mm f1.7 can be shot into the light all day long without fear.

The one desirable factor with the 35 Summicron ASPH compared to the 35mm f1.7 Ultron is, you can remove the hood and shoot with zero frame interference.

I know many do not like the ergomonics of the 35mm f1.7 Ultron VM. I get along fine with it and love the classic look with the Voigtlander vented hood fitted.

If this new 35mm f2 Ulton is the same optical and flare resistance quality of the 35mm f1.7 VM, it should be a smashing success.

Great thread thank you. What about chromatic aberration? Just curious knowing by experience that the new CV 21/3.5 is not free from it.

I don't understand why Leica gets a pass on this. People bag on the 7Artisans 35mm f2 for being flarey, but it is more resistant than my Summicron!....
As much as i like it otherwise, my 7artisans 35/2 is one of my most flare prone lenses when strong light sources are outside the frame, even with a hood on the lens (here a B+W rubber hood):
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-kpw2QCG/0/41ef5fce/L/i-kpw2QCG-L.jpg
Suffice it to add some shade to the hood, here with my left hand, to remove flare almost completely though:
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-zTXVHVw/0/d997e116/L/i-zTXVHVw-L.jpg

This may already have been asked, but how do you compare the CV 35/1.7 with the CV 35/2? They cost about the same.

This may already have been asked, but how do you compare the CV 35/1.7 with the CV 35/2? They cost about the same.

I would imagine the bigger difference is in the ergonomics than the optics. The 35/1.7 seems to be an "acquired taste" with the unique, old school-type knurled focus ring.

I like it, but I know many who do not.

A topic for another thread. Who is up to the task?! Alas, not me as I do not own an Ultron 35mm f1.7.

My guess is that the main differences would come down to size, handling and design, with not that much difference in performance. The tiny size of the slightly slower Ultron wins for me.

Back