Unlocking the panoramic format ... is it a gimmick?

Thanks Texsport. I had a look and thought they were 'good' and no more, but as always, these things are personal. Some strong photos, but in many I felt the format did not contribute to a successful image and held them back as often as it made them special. I tend to look at cameras as 'things to make documentary images with' and so my perspectives are skewed.

FWIW, I think 3:1 or even 2.7:1 is a wee bit long. 2.5:1 is about the longest before it looks awkward for me, with 2.25:1 looking most relaxed. Oddlly, 2:1 can look a little short at times, but I do like this 'short pano' format because it functions quite differently and works well with foreground interest, unlike the longer ones.

I'm going to have a real crack with my 30mm and if that does not work out, I will sell it all. I suspect it will work very well, however, because I have been 'feeling the frames' when shooting with the 45mm, only what I have wanted to get in tends to lie somewhere outside the frame lines!

Hmmm! I think several of the images would be impossible in any format other than panoramic, so the contribution is the ability to compose the image at all.

Of course, if the subject matter isn't personally interesting, there is little reason to capture it.

As to formats, I use XPan, 6x9, 6x12, 6x17, Widelux, and Noblex. I use the camera that is most pleasing or required to frame what I'm trying to depict.

Sticking to a single, ideal panoramic format limits possibilities enormously, so if you are very discriminating about exactly matching an image to a single format, you might never find or record the perfect image.

I know I'm not good enough to fit everything into a single format, and use the multiple approach as a bit of a crutch I reckon.

Texsport

If you search around, every now and then a bargain will come up. I got mine hardly used for very little over $1000 AUD. it's cheaper than buying an M6 body, and it has a lens!

The finish on the paint is very poor, which means that many of the xpans look like beaters even though they are not. You can get a bargain sometimes where the camera is in great condition, just cosmetically ugly.

Keith, didn't you get a RD1 as well?

It's currently living in the cupboard ... a shelf down from the OM-D! :eek: thank god it was cheap!

I keep wondering if the solution to all this is to spend more money ... an eight thousand dollar Monochrom would be hard to ignore when you can't afford food! :p

Panoramic can definitely be a gimmick. But in a age of digital photography, so is shooting film. So using an xpan is a double gimmick!

Having been a panoramic shooter for almost a week now :p I can say it's no gimmick for me! It's another format to be used when the desire or need arises ... and I do feel that it matches my vision a lot more than the square for example. I also like the way the Widelux swing lens sees the world! :D

milton040812_016pr.jpg

milton040812_003pr.jpg

I know the feeling Keith, my M9 has been on the shelf for a period of time now. Would love a Monchrom though. Like the first one above a lot, very interesting perspective. Maybe I will take my Xpan out this weekend.

Maybe I will take my Xpan out this weekend.

Do it ... I've discovered that the way to keep myself motivated and constantly thinking about photography is to refresh my vision frequently by changing formats. It probably wouldn't work for everyone though!

One thing I'm noticing about composition with the Widelux is the way I compose is being affected by knowing that virtually everything in the frame will be in focus. A lot of my compositions in other formats are based around depth of field.

It really makes you think and you soon realise that balanced content within the frame is very important!

OK folks.... all this talk of Aspect Ratio, cropping, 25% this and 30% that. I can't take it. I just take the camera out...(Fuji GL690 normal 100m lens), plant a tripod under it. bubble level the top of the tripod rotating platform and the top of the camera and shoot...

The capacity of Pano Stitching software pretty much takes care of the rest.
We're all different, and stitching or even thinking about stitching is not helpful to me. I need to see the subject matter in a 3:1 panoramic viewfinder all in one go. Views like below are real helpful when it comes to composition.

08-0509-R5_22.jpg

08-0509-R6_27_2nd.jpg

One thing I'm noticing about composition with the Widelux is the way I compose is being affected by knowing that virtually everything in the frame will be in focus. A lot of my compositions in other formats are based around depth of field.

It really makes you think and you soon realise that balanced content within the frame is very important!

I agree. It makes the Widelux more of a documentary/street event recorder than an artist's tool.

I love mine and use it as a walking around camera teamed with my XPan.

Texsport

Correct... I love using the Widelux when shooting street and even in my wedding work...

foam-fight-1.jpg

kitty-cat.jpg

future-wedding-photographer.jpg

wiping-tears-of-joy.jpg

Cheers,

When I bought my X-Pan and the 45 and 90mm lenses I started taking a number of panoramics which was catching up with my 35mm. When I got the 30mm this became about 50%. These ratios apply to overseas trips and less so to everyday photography.

By design or "happy accident"

By design or "happy accident"

I do get what some of you are talking about insofar as seeing the whole pano in the viewfinder. I wasn't talking so much in my previous post as the viewfinder. Additionally if I had the money to buy $2500 X-pans and Fuji TX cameras, I would probably also love to see the whole scene.

However, I am an Under $1000 camera guy and often not over $500. The used market serves me well. Most of my camera acquisition is from eBay, and frankly I sell a ton of film gear on eBay to pursue my acquisitions.

But stitching digital, and scanning film to stitch also works for me on Pano's.

Yesterday, I went out to photograph and old homestead from the late 1800's built original in a stand of Birch trees. One of my favorite subjects, roaming the high desert of Central Oregon and finding these old dream homes from pioneers of yesteryear.

I took about 40 shots of the old unlivable home, and I decided to get a pano of the Birch stand with the home bleeding out the right side.

No tripod, no match, no head games.... just hand hold and rotate the camera on a level plane... as much as possible with handholding. Just make sure that certain trees ended up in the proper ends of three frames.

Now, this forum does not do justice to the sharpness of my photos... so I must tell you the focus and sharpness is much better on my screen. Some of you have attempted to tell me various ways to improve the sharpness, but I prefer to blame this site. I have used many and various computers from different internet providers on RFF, and frankly I never really see sharp images here. Yet most other posting sites look fine to me.

I shot for an hour at the scene of this image, and the three shots took about five minutes. I then stitched them in the "create" section of Windows Live Photo Gallery... probably 20 minutes of PP. Naturally, I can crop and resize them to suit preference. I use for digital a Fujifilm S3 Pro set Wide on the Dynamic Range function. I will also post another stitch of 6 frames taken with an Olympus E400 4/3 DSLR.

S3Pro Three images stitched end to end
1800shomestead001Stitch.jpg

Olympus E400 5 or 6 images shot vertically and stitched vertically
Untitled_Panorama222Large.jpg

E400 on Monochrome
Untitled_Panorama1Large-1.jpg

Two images from 6X9 Fuji GL690.. scanned and stitched, very little overlap
OrcombuildingpanoramaLarge.jpg

I repeat, these are simply horrible in viewing on this web site. That has been my consistent refrain and I pretty much see others photos this way as well. Say what you will, but the problem seems insurmountable.

I also use LF 4x5, and a modified half dark slide to get two panos on one sheet of film. The size is a bit unconventional but there's always cropping. That's one way for me to see the whole pano on the Ground Glass.

Back