US Air Force Beseler Type C-6 4x5 Rangefinder Camera

Sold on ebay today. This is indeed a very rare camera.

Its almost never McKeown does not have pics in his book!

Most likely some rebranded Japanese camera, anyone know the original?

What other 4x5 rangefinder has built in brightlines for 90 to 240 lenses and a Graflex style focal plane shutter?

Looks like they designed the rangefinder to fit on a Graflex style body. But I highly doubt that lens board is original. Nothing like having a nice bulls eye for a sniper to pick out.

PF

Probably a Horseman. Beseler was the main importers of Horseman cameras and this one has a lot of details that were included in later bed cameras. Being a military contact accounts the Wollensak lens and the Rapax shutter. Topcon also made the preferred SLR used by the Navy during the Vietnam era.

Probably a Horseman. Beseler was the main importers of Horseman cameras and this one has a lot of details that were included in later bed cameras. Being a military contact accounts the Wollensak lens and the Rapax shutter. Topcon also made the preferred SLR used by the Navy during the Vietnam era.

I've been hoping to find one of those black beauties with the periscope mount at a reasonable price. Super D's?

PF

The persistent story at the time was Beseler got the contract because the Navy believed it was an American made camera

... not sure if that is true, but that was certainly an oft repeated story.

(Beseler enlargers were American made)

Some policy wonk probably equated Bessemer with Bessler, not realizing the American steel industry was started by a Scottish guy.

I have one. Beseler sent me part of the instruction manual a few years ago. It has been stored in a box waiting its turn to see what can be done with it.

I was unaware the USAF had another camera than the Pacemaker Speed Graphic that was referred to as the "C-6"

Consider me educated.

Back