Use Leica Exclusively? or alongside DSLR/Mirrorless, etc?

Ruffmeister

Local time
7:35 PM
Quick question for you all.

Out of curiosity, anyone shoot Leica / Other Rangefinders exclusively?

I currently have a 5D, Fuji X and an M8 and I will be honest, since getting the M8, the others don't see as much use as they once did.
For me, the M8 delivers on colours and look. Be it the lens or the sensor I don't know. I'm using a 35mm Nokton 1.4 and a Cron 50mm v4. Since getting it before Christmas it's very often my go to along with a 35mm or MF film camera.

I'm now thinking M9 hence my post about sensor issues yesterday in the M9 section. The only thing I think I would miss from my Fuji X would be the ease of long exposures, and I guess those odd moments where you sometimes "need" AF. For the majority of what my photography style is, an M is perfect. I don't shoot sports nor wildlife, so something blisteringly quick isn't needed. I guess I could keep the X with a 35mm and sell the others. On a crop sensor I pretty much live at this focal length.

By selling the 5D, a couple of fuji lenses and the M8, I'd have a nice amount to front towards an M9. Although I think following some advice, I would get the M9 first and make sure all checks out. Im preferably looking for one with a replaced sensor. It's not a nice thought parting with a Leica :bang:

Curious to know if any have just gone down the M route exclusively. In a way I like the idea of having just one setup as in the past, I've found this often liberating. I do love the bokeh from the Canon FF. I just don't like lugging such a thing around when I'm out, which is why it's not used a lot.

My Leicas are pretty much for street photography, but some general photography too. I have a Nikon D810 and D500 because there are times when through-the-lens and autofocus are essential like action, multiple strobes and macro.

Not exclusively RF, I shoot dRF essentially interchangeably with dSLRs with similar focal-length primes. No "mirrorless". No film any more, but when I did, there was a different mind-set for smaller formats like miniature and half-frame. With those I would look for broad shapes and avoid dependency on detail and texture. Same now with lower-resolution digital.

Relevant to your concerns, I would be reluctant to go exclusively anything! Having both RF and SLR aids flexibility and versatility for different situations. And, further, I think switching off to different systems and focal lengths stimulates creative thinking... :)

In most cases I carry both film and digital... this week its the MP/50mm and Acros 100 along with the X100T... it depends on the subject/location.

Casey

Why limit oneself to one system? Admittedly I tend to stay within the Leica fold, but a rangefinder as such covers only part of the photographic spectrum. Clunky macro and tele are not for everybody and a Visoflex has its own problems. The M240 is a far more universal tool.
Normally when traveling I will carry the M240 with focal lengths from 18 to 560 mm, and an NEX 7 as backup, plus an X2 as snapshot camera.
Before, with M8 and M9 I would use both the M and a DMR/R8. Horses for courses.
Having said that, as it happens today I was out shooting with my M6 +HP2Super and an X1 in my pocket (which I did not use).

I have a ton of cameras. But ...

I'm shooting mostly with Leica these days: Leica rangefinder (both film and digital capture), Leica point and shoot, Leica mirrorless, and Leica SLR.

I think that covers all the bases except for 6x6 and instant film ... :)

G

I was just about to answer only Leica M, and then I noticed the FE sitting on the shelf.

So, I predominantly shoot Leica M. I suits what and how I shoot on a day to day basis.

But, when the need calls I'll use something else. I actually got the FE with a 3.5/55 micro Nikkor to shoot a marco project, I can't imaging the messing around I'd need to do to use my M6 for that. Likewise if I ever get the inkling to do some long lens stuff...

I keep a 5d3 for nature photography and my telephoto animal work. I keep an fm10 because I have a couple manual Nikon lenses and the fm10 is the first camera I ever bought, it has some emotional attachment.

Every tool has its use.

The rangefinder might be my favorite tool, though.

I eventually migrated almost entirely to Leica as my shooting "needs" have become much less diverse since "retiring" as a working pro. As I'm no longer shooting commercially and almost always just for myself, for personal work, I (currently) feel that the Leica M is my favorite tool for what and how I like to shoot. I didn't set out to "exclusively" shoot any one brand or another, but I like system cohesion and compatibility, which is why when I shot Canon for so long, I only used Canon, once I started playing around with mirrorless cameras things got all wacky and I wound up with way too many different options and systems.

I have lately been shooting more film than digital, but I have progressively curated my lens kit to be exactly what I need. I do have a Hasselblad kit but it's in need of a tune-up and I really only use it when I want to shoot something special. I also have a Ricoh GR which is still probably my favorite digital camera.

Now. If for some reason I wind up needing a slightly more diverse lineup then I will (reluctantly) sell my M240 and probably buy the Fuji X-Pro 2 (or whatever winds up meeting my needs the best). However my Film M bodies are here to stay. I genuinely wanted to like the Sony A7 system, but the camera bodies were just too uncomfortable in my hands.

Some good points raised here. I get the different tools for different occasions too.

I think I would keep the MF gear. I've found that I've enjoyed 6x7 and 6x6 formats over the last few months. I've often shot MF alongside digital pretty comfortably. Also I just enjoy using them. There's something about these mechanical film cameras that is very special. Especially when you're looking down into ground glass to compose.

It's more from a digital perspective that I was considering M to be more exclusively used.
I'm pretty certain I will sell the 5DC. I'm just not using it enough and its money that's just sitting there essentially.

I've seen some in the past, sell up their current setup and go M / Other rangefinder exclusively and after a year, have found themself with another DSLR setup or alternative. This is essentially down to what you shoot though I'm sure. Having used M for a while, I know what I'd expect from the system along with its limitations.

I would be reluctant to go exclusively anything!

I have recently bought a Fuji X-T10 to go alongside my film cameras. I bought it mainly for holidays and photographing my niece.

On Saturday I took out a Yashica TLR to take on a walk with my wife and my X-T10 for when I called to see our niece on the way home :)

I have an M6 that I use the most, but I also have a Bessa R2a, Nikon FE, Nikon F80 along with the Yashica and X-T10 that all get used.

Ruffmeister - as you say that you only shoot with 35 and 50 mm lenses, there is no reason not to use only an M9. My own preference is one camera, and I go out with mostly with only one lens, or with just one on the camera and another in my pocket — though most of the time I end up not changing lenses.

Now, I have an M9-P and an M-Monochrom, but I tend to shoot them in "binges," alternating the cameras every few months. The trouble is that a couple of months ago I shot film for the first time in ten years with my M6 — and, emotionally, I want to sell both the M9-P and the MM, but have not yet been able to do that because of the lack of a good scanning solution. While, I will never sell my M6, I want to end up using only one camera. Maybe I'll start by selling one of the digital Ms. Anyway, I feel strongly that one's photography is best if one shoots with one camera and stops fussing about cameras.

————————
Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

You really need to be clear and honest to yourself what you want to shoot. If you understand this then the choice of camera and lenses should be a lot easier. Aside from image characteristics, ergonomics and haptics, it is also worth considering reliability and cost/security.

It is quite liberating to have only one camera / one lens, but which camera and which lens for me is very specific to what I intend to photograph on any given occasion.

FWIW, if I was only allowed one camera, it would be the GR. I like it better for street photography than the Leica, and I can shoot in places/situations where I might think twice about using a less discreet and more expensive camera.

Leica film RF's and an M8
Other film RF's eg Canon and Bessa and 2 FSU's
Film SLR's Nikon mostly
DSLR's Nikon
Fuji X100 (which I love)
Medium Format SLR, TRL and one scale focus RF

Almost...

I shoot almost exclusively with my M2 now, using my GR when necessary (mostly for work). I'm actually currently in the process of selling off the last of my Micro Four Thirds gear, which will leave me without a digital system for the first time in about a decade.

It's kinda nice to be honest :)

Great to hear some views on this. Appreciate your time.

Certainly some factors to consider. I think if a good M9 comes then I will potentially take the plunge over the M8 and keep the XT as an AF option when needed. At the moment it's not rush. I don't want to have a lot of gear surrounding me and as I said, the M works well for me currently.

I've left Leica behind for now. The cameras don't match how I currently photograph. However, I still think they make a hell of a camera. Excited for the possibility of a Leica Q with a 50mm lens.

Back