Using 220 in Moskvas and Erconas

Spider67

Well-known
Local time
3:58 PM
Hi,
Is ther anything to take into consideration before I can use 220 Film in Moskvas and My East German Zeiss Ikon Ercona?

Thanks and best Regards
Des

You cannot use 220 film in old folders that us a red window for the frame counter. 220 film has no paper backing and will be fogged by the window. Without the window and paper backing, you will not know how far to wind on.

Also, the lack of a paper backing shifts the image plane slightly.

Cameras with mechanical wind-on only work for twelve exposures when the wind-on system changes to spool the film and so the remaining film on the 220 cannot be used (the shutter is not cocked either at this point and cannot be released). Changing this mechanical system is not easy by any strech of the imagination.

Thanks a lot folks! You helped me saving money. So I'll use 220 in my Yashicamat (Which has the right features for that) and order just 10 Rolls instead of 20.

I have used 220 in a Moskva 5 by hand counting. I had light leaks no matter what I tried (layers of black tape over window) the nput the cameras case on & more tape.

I think it was 9 full turns to start (better check yourself), then 2 turns per 6x9 frame works, and 1.5 per 6x6. It gets shorter at end of roll ,so you get longer frame spacing.

It's not entirely predictable. You may miss part of first frame and last frame, but I wanted to do it just because.

Now I'm running 220 in a Kodak Medalist - much easier.

It might work in a Kodak Monitor Six-20. It doles out film using a toothed wheel that measures film travel. Works very well with 620 film once you clean and lube the mechanism. But, even with a shutter over the red window, I think I'd add tape too.

I have one, some junk 220 film (very expired Ektachrome), and the right spool/tank. Only cost would be a few cc of HC-110.

I'd only consider actually using it for B&W film if the promised Tri-X (not "Professional") 220 is actually released.

I think the general problem is that the cameras just weren't designed to be light-tight on the back side of the roll of film.

Back