Using Adobe Portfolio to create a website

JohnBeeching

Well-known
Local time
2:22 AM
As a lock-down task I have created a completely new website for my photos using Portfolio. This is not the first photo-site I have created, the last was with an old version of Dreamweaver into which I bolted the web galleries that I created in LightRoom - a workable solution though a bit clunky and one thatI would not be able to carry over into Catalina.

Having finally gone over to the darkside with a subscription version of LR I discovered that I also got Photoshop (it looks dramatically difference from the version I used to use 10 years ago) and Portfolio. My initial feeling was that Portfolio was a gimmicky part of the bundle with limited use, but I decided to give it a whirl. I have discovered that, while it is certainly not as powerful as Dreamweaver, it can, with a little perseverance and experimentation (not everything is obvious!), make a good-enough photo website. Unless you require a complex website with a blog, etc., good-enough is sufficient for most of us. So, I have now closed down my old site, cancelled my original hosting and transferred my domain-name over to the Portfolio hosting. An additional benefit is that means that, with the saving from canceling my old host, the darkside subscription costs me less than £2 per month!

Please look at my new site: johnbeeching.com (see my signature) and let me know what you think.

John, I enjoyed your portfolios. Very nice photography and well done.

The web site loads quick for me, was easy to navigate, and easy to figure out. A nice simple layout. I like it.

I got the Instagram icon but didn't know the two dots were for Flickr until I clicked on them. Just me. I would probably add "hover" states to the icons.

Nice job!

Thanks, Raydm6, for your positive comments. Portfolio is not completely intuitive and I can't work out (yet) how to get "hover" over the social media icons. So, for the time being I have just made them slightly larger.

Back