Using Leica M lens, X-Pro1/XE-1 or NEX6/7?

Using Leica M lens, X-Pro1/XE-1 or NEX6/7?

• Fujifilm X-Pro1 or XE-1

Votes: 81 71.7%
  • SONY NEX6/7

Votes: 32 28.3%

• Total voters

roundg

Well-known
Local time
1:11 PM
I am thinking of using a EVIL for my leica lens. Which one is the better pick? I would like to listen to your advice. I think the IQ of these cameras are at the same level, then how about the easy of focusing and how it handles the M lens?

Thanks in advance.

[new added]

Thanks for all the inputs, my friends. Here is my current situation and my thinking.

What I need is a digital camera which can be used seamlessly with my film M. I am using R-D1 with my film Ms, and quite happy with it. But I start to realize that the resolution of the 6M CCD is too not enough for my lens. That's why I am keeping on looking for a potential replacement. I don't need AF/Video all other modern functions as my Micron 4/3 handle these quite well.

now the XE-1 price in my local is very reasonable. That's why I open the poll. As I think NEX6/7 could be the best direct compare with it for ---- new sensor, good EVF. I don't consider GXR is only because it's too small for my hand. (I guess for the same reason I will prefer Xe-1 to smaller nex)

My current dilemma is because
1) R-d1 is still the best if you want a digital M (not mention the expensive M9). And the EVF is still not a match to a real optical VF. When I have some concern on the resolution, I hardly print any big photos.
2) crop ratio. XE-1/NEX still has 1.5X crop ratio that's the biggest problem for me with the R-D1.

I used Nex-5 for a short time and don't like the operation and too slim body. I haven't gotten a chance to go to a local shop to try a XE-1. I think I will do it and to see how I feel it in my hands. maybe the best solution is to wait until a fullframe XE or NEX come out with a further upgraded EVF (should be).

=====================================================================================================================
Here is the happy ending of the story. I got a X-E1 with the Fuji M adapter 1 week ago. I use only Leica lens on it and find it's a real pleasure to use. OK it doesn't have the peaking and even the EVF is very good I have to use the 3X magnify almost every time. But the location of the wheel is so perfect that it's so easy -- much easier than any of my Micro 4/3 camera.

The IQ from the X-E1 is very impressive. I use the standard film mode and find the color is very pleasing.

I prefer the interface of the X-E1 to the NEX camera. And it's also slightly bigger and fit better in my hands. I have to purchase a Half case to rest my little finger.

28551_1356238367.jpg

Last edited:
For high ISO: Fuji
For low ISO resolution: NEX7
For usability & use of wide M without smearing/color shift: GXR

If the NEX 5n is any indication, I'd trust the NEX 6 to do a better job with more RF lenses than the NEX 7 or Fuji XP1 or XE1 sensors.

The GXR does the best job, short of the Leica M8/M9, with the largest number of RF lenses. It actually does a better job with some lenses than the M9, requiring less correction, but that may simply be due to the smaller format.

Can't really compare because I've never used the others, but I after one week with my new NEX6, I'd say I made the right choice especially for my M and F mount lenses, using adapters. The EVF is incredibly bright and focus peaking is AWESOME!!!

Thanks for all the inputs, my friends. Here is my current situation and my thinking.

What I need is a digital camera which can be used seamlessly with my film M. I am using R-D1 with my film Ms, and quite happy with it. But I start to realize that the resolution of the 6M CCD is too not enough for my lens. That's why I am keeping on looking for a potential replacement. I don't need AF/Video all other modern functions as my Micron 4/3 handle these quite well.

now the XE-1 price in my local is very reasonable. That's why I open the poll. As I think NEX6/7 could be the best direct compare with it for ---- new sensor, good EVF. I don't consider GXR is only because it's too small for my hand. (I guess for the same reason I will prefer Xe-1 to smaller nex)

My current dilemma is because
1) R-d1 is still the best if you want a digital M (not mention the expensive M9). And the EVF is still not a match to a real optical VF. When I have some concern on the resolution, I hardly print any big photos.
2) crop ratio. XE-1/NEX still has 1.5X crop ratio that's the biggest problem for me with the R-D1.

I used Nex-5 for a short time and don't like the operation and too slim body. I haven't gotten a chance to go to a local shop to try a XE-1. I think I will do it and to see how I feel it in my hands. maybe the best solution is to wait until a fullframe XE or NEX come out with a further upgraded EVF (should be)

Have you tried GXR-M in person? I think the grip is the best of the three, very substantial. I personally went with GXR for all my manual focus lens, and m4/3 when I need AF. What are the M lenses you are currently using btw?

It's a crop format.
What I need is a digital camera which can be used seamlessly with my film M.
That's the M9 of course so you have to make a compromise somewhere. You seem to know the possibilities so choose the body that has the fewest disadvantages.

I used Nex-5 for a short time and don't like.....

a short time is not enough to really get to know any camera. I felt that way too when I got the Nex5. Thought I had made a huge mistake. But I worked with it for a while and like it a lot now. Upgraded to the 5n for the EVF.

NEX-6. Definitely!

Why?

Because the Fuji has a great sensor but no peaking mode.
And the NEX-7 is an amazing cam but not the best sensor for M-lenses under 28mm focal length.

And the NEX-7 is an amazing cam but not the best sensor for M-lenses under 28mm focal length.
It may be down to sample variation. My Leica 24/2.8 is great on the NEX-7. The only lens I have needing color correction on that body is the CV 15/4.

Have you tried GXR-M in person? I think the grip is the best of the three, very substantial. I personally went with GXR for all my manual focus lens, and m4/3 when I need AF. What are the M lenses you are currently using btw?

I use the 21mm SA, which is a good reason for me to move to GXR. But I prefer a build in EVF. That's why I didn't put it into the list.

Any reason you are ignoring the M8?
I am using R-D1. It's not very that persuasive to me to upgrade from R-D1 to M8.

It's a crop format.That's the M9 of course so you have to make a compromise somewhere. You seem to know the possibilities so choose the body that has the fewest disadvantages.
Ya I think what I need is a M9. Just can't cope with the price now. I set a discipline for my equipment purchase -- that I should never buy any single equipment whose price is higher than 1/3 of my monthly salary. So far, I have been hold the discipline very well.:bang:

a short time is not enough to really get to know any camera. I felt that way too when I got the Nex5. Thought I had made a huge mistake. But I worked with it for a while and like it a lot now. Upgraded to the 5n for the EVF.
I agree. 5N is a great digital back for manual lens. But I need a build in EVF. That's why I am considering Nex6/7.

I...
Ya I think what I need is a M9. Just can't cope with the price now. I set a discipline for my equipment purchase -- that I should never buy any single equipment whose price is higher than 1/3 of my monthly salary. So far, I have been hold the discipline very well. .../QUOTE]

Far be it from me to advise others on how to manage their money. But I never place such arbitrary restrictions on myself. The M9 was a big expense, but everything I use it, I find I need/want other cameras less and less.

But for a couple of thing that I really need TTL framing and focusing for, the M and a 6x6 camera are really what I want to get down to. That may be my justification to selling the M9 and getting the new M eventually.

I had both the X-Pro1 and NEX-7 on order, but the lack of focus peaking resulted in a reluctant nixing of my Fuji order. Sony has not been the best at supporting the end user, but then again the raw issues with the Fuji cloud that side of things. The Fuji is setup more like a traditional film camera, but relying on temporary magnification isn't appealing to me. Focus peaking also has limitations similar to any contrast reliant system. It seem that most of the Leica lenses work well with these systems, but my Biogons really don't shine on the NEX-7. I purchased a NEX-6 for my wife and it comes on Wednesday. It will be interesting to see what differences exists between the two Sony cameras. I was hoping for a GXR body/EVF replacement, but if that was going to happen, the Pentax deal certainly put new product on the back-burner. Short of a Leica M the GXR has the most traditional controls and quality rendering of a variety of 'M' lenses, but it is tough buying a camera which, in the digital age, is getting long in the tooth. Sony, or Fuji .. I don't think that you can throw the memory cards from either into Rodinal and expect a good result... ie.. not the seemless transition that you seem to be looking for.

handling

handling

for me the no 1 criteria is actually the controls and handling. This is where I had a strong preference to the fuji. Enough to sell of my dslr kit.

The EVF seems fine to me. Although it reminds me of early AF systems - you know in 3 years time it will be faster (on the X-e2?!)

Focus peaking might have been good - but then I am not missing what I never had. The magnification button is working well for me, and I am nailing focus.

For me the benefits outweigh the negatives...

I had a look at a YouTube video to see what all the fuss was over focus peaking, all I can say is, meh. Definetly agree on traditional controls been more of a priority.

Back