Using polarizers with xpan?

DennisB

Local time
2:18 PM
I've just bought an xpan with 45 and 90mm lenses and can't wait to start using it. It's my first rangefinder as I've been using Nikons and Rolleis for many years. How do I use polarizers with this camera? Do I need a circular or straight-line polarizer? I assume I will need a step-up ring, correct? Is there a most effective size ring for this? Thanks very much for your input.

You can use either a linear or a circular polariser for the Xpan. Linear ones are only necessary when through the lens auto-focus systems are used.

I bought the Cokin P series filter set up. The 49mm adaptor ring and filter holder will do the trick. The Cokin circular polariser that I bought is excellent.

Being a rangefinder camera, using the filter is never going to be a trivial affair though. You have to hold the filter, rotate to where you like it and then slide into the filter holder. It becomes easy and quite quick to do with a little practice though.

Hope this helps.

The lenses are so good that you will compromise quality by using cheap filters. I have slim circular Heliopan polarizers for the 45/90 and the 30mm lenses. The top quality B&W's work fine too.
These filters have markings on the side, so by looking through the filter in your hand, you can figure out your desired degree of polarization. Check the marking, screw the filter on, set it right and take the picture.

Back