Using vintage SLR lenses like Minolta MD, Pentax K, Canon FD on Nikon Z6/Z7?

I had one of these when I shot film professionally and it was actually fairly good, even wide open. It did have some flare issues that my other Pentax lenses didn't have since I think it was single coated, not multi-coated. The built in hood wasn't long enough to be that helpful; a longer one was useful but backlighting wasn't this lense's strong point.

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I got a lemon. It came with a K1000 and a 50mm f/2 I bought for a very reasonable price, so it was practically free. Guess I can't complain too much, and as I said, sample size = 1.

What adapters are you guys using on the Zs? I'm interested primarily in adapting M42 and F-mount/AI/AI-S lenses. Thanks!

In my experiience both Leica R , M, Zeiss C/Y, Nikon, Angenieux, Kinoptik and other lenses built before the turn of the century perform well on the Z7 as long as the cameras´ easiily moved controls stay in the position you wish them to be in . The enlarged focussing option is especially useful and the stabilization works as long as you remember to set it (changing from 400mm to 18mm without resetting will not work very well.) The zoom intended to live on the camera also performs well, but the combination is too large to fit in my large anorak pocket

p.

I bought a Z6 from the Nikon refurb site at the end of November, just under 1K. I bought the cheap $10 adapters for Leica screw mount, M mount, and for Nikon F mount. I've had a blast using all my old lenses with these adapters. Pretty much everything works fine. I have not tried the Jupiter 12 yet to see if it goes in too far, and I don't collapse the Summitar or the Canon 50/1.9 into the Z. It is easier to use the Z6 than my Canon V and VI cameras (which I love using). The auto Iso is very nice, as is the focus peaking. I recently got an adapter for my Canon 50/0.95 on advice from SonnarBrian. The Z is great for comparing lenses - so much faster than doing it with film. Using all these lenses on the Z is true fun. I do have a Z lens, but I only use it when I need the autofocus, which is hardly ever.

Minolta Rokkor MC 100mm F/2.5 on Z6

Minolta Rokkor MD 50mm F/1.7 on Z6

They look ok to me. Even with the adapter the MC 100mm is more fun to carry around than an AFS 105 Micro. The MD 50mm and a Zeiss Sonnar 50mm F/1.5 ZM with their respective adapters are smaller overall than a Z 50mm S.

I have some shots in my photostream with the Nikon 105 Ai-s 1.8 and the 50 Ai-s which give you some examples with the Z series cameras, too.

Last edited:
Z6 is nothing short of great when it comes to adapted glass, I'm referring to ease of use, especially focusing, and image output, it somehow takes advantage of its extraordinary iso capabilities whilst at the same time still maintaining the character of your legacy lens. I only have the 85mm F1.8 Z for native glass for quick AF at events but it's really all I need. Indeed so impressed am I that I'm considering one of those F0.95 native lenses for the Z system instead of for the rangefinder, to me it'd be better for its intended use with shorter MFD than a RF camera plus considerably easier focusing ultimately leading to better results.

Back