V&b

Bill Pierce

Well-known
Local time
8:11 AM
I was looking at some old photos of a bunch of us covering a presidential campaign - a lot of photographers, a lot of camera gear and not a single camera bag. There were vests and belt packs and belt pouches, but no bags. Why? Because it takes time to get gear out of a shoulder bag and ready to use. Not as much time as a backpack, but time.

Maybe family photography, vacation photography or street photography don’t make quite the same speed demands as a presidential campaign, but when it would be nice to quickly change gear, you don’t when it involves removing a bag from your shoulder (optional) opening it, removing gear, putting other gear in, closing the bag, e.t.c.. Bags are great for transporting gear, but not for changing gear.

Whether it’s street photography or travel and vacation photography (i.e. street photography not near my home), I’ve always used fishermen’s vests and belt packs to keep gear immediately accessible. And that’s from someone who loves gadget bags, just doesn’t think they are great for immediate access.

I don’t want to create diversion on the site - vest vs. bag. But I am interested in your thoughts on vest and bag.

I like a bag for storage, or even holding camera equipment in the car. While taking photos, I find a vest way more convenient and better balanced. It doesn't swing around, like a bag can, which can be really irritating when I have camera-on-tripod swung over my other shoulder.

- Murray

There is a photo of Larry Burrows in Viet Nam all grimy and sweaty with 2 Leicas and a Nikon F around his neck. Different lenses on each ready to go.
In the text it mentions him obsessively cleaning his cameras each night after working all day. His photos show his dedication.
Philip

It may sound silly but the reason why I try to avoid bags is that where I live we use down jackets and other thick clothing for much of the year. Bags, even a simple messenger bag, get even more in in the way interfering with hats, zip locks etc. than they do when you just wear them on a shirt. So for me no bags at all. One camera + 1 lens, plus a compact camera with a different focal or a spare lens in a pocket.

I don't feel like a nerdy camera handler anymore...
I use a bag to transport gear, I don't like carrying and working out of them..I do own several of the same photo vests, I use them and I like being able to carry all that I need with easy access...the only negative point might be that I tend to carry too much sometimes.
My choice of vest is made by Woolrich...

Even when I was a working photographer, I didn't use a vest; they're bulky and hot. I'd carry film in my pockets and a 35mm lens in a bag clipped to my belt (my primary lens was a 50 or 60).

When traveling I have always used a backpack loaded with lenses, film, and a back-up body (the later two in my film days).

It may sound silly but the reason why I try to avoid bags is that where I live we use down jackets and other thick clothing for much of the year. Bags, even a simple messenger bag, get even more in in the way interfering with hats, zip locks etc. than they do when you just wear them on a shirt. So for me no bags at all. One camera + 1 lens, plus a compact camera with a different focal or a spare lens in a pocket.

I also do this. In the winter I only use cameras that can fit in a coat pocket! This also helps keep the battery warm so you don't have to carry several.

Even when I was a working photographer, I didn't use a vest; they're bulky and hot. I'd carry film in my pockets and a 35mm lens in a bag clipped to my belt (my primary lens was a 50 or 60).

When traveling I have always used a backpack loaded with lenses, film, and a back-up body (the later two in my film days).

When working (Ad & Annual Report photography), I carried a lot of gear, unfortunately. Cameras, lighting, etc. I transported the cameras and lenses in camera cases. Usually, when flying, one with me, incl my film in the film days and, one or two went cargo. I generally had 6-7 cases with the lighting and modifiers. A serious PITA, but necessary. When moving to digital, i ditched all the film stuff but, added batteries, chargers and, heavier lenses.

Once on site, I moved most of the camera hardware to a couple of bags or a bag and one case. Quite often, i was off with just one camera and a couple of primes doing more than half my pictures with just that. A 55 or 60 micro and a 35.

I still suffer back problems from moving all that gear around.

It used to be a vest, carrying a Gossen meter and some film, maybe one extra lens. But now no vest and just one (digital) camera/lens over a shoulder.
Bags are only for transport, left in the car while out shooting. Absolutely no bags over the shoulder!!
The time that comes to mind is when walking around Old San Juan Puerto Rico... I had two Contax cameras and three lenses and film in the bag over my shoulder. I alternated cameras according to the lens needed. As the day progressed, I switched the bag from one shoulder to the other, and back again. I ended up with two very sore shoulders and avoided porting a bag on the street ever again. And I gained a new appreciation for the photographer's statement to the effect that "there are no pictures xxx yards from the car!"

These days it's usually one camera and lens and nothing else on my person unless it fits in a pocket. I do have a small shoulder bag that's good for 2-3 extra lenses if I want to go Dennis Hopper-in-jungle-prepared or just keep some extra gear close by. Mainly, I'm using a larger bag for transport and taking a chance leaving it in the car when I'm out shooting.

I love vests. Wore them when I was working--Banana Republic was the deal at the time. Since then I've used Domke vests. But as was stated above, they do get hot in the humid South. Lots of days my BR vest was soaking wet at the end of shift. They are a great way to carry lots of stuff without breaking the back. Not in fashion today. Gotta be with the trends, you know.

Backpacks? I feel like I'm strapped into a straitjacket, can't get to gear and they end up hanging like a bad shoulder bag eventually.

About the same. Use bags for segregating/storing and vest with cargo pockets ( if using anything at all) for out and about. Even with a vest like to keep it as minimal as I can. If the weather is too hot, over 80F, then no vest, maybe a belt pack. Or, stay home in the air conditioning.

Camel Trophy is gone, but I still have its official vest purchased at Turkish bazaar.

I still carry everything in a bag, but not necessarily while I'm actually shooting. I'll take the camera and lens of choice out, secure the bag so it won't walk off, then get busy. But every once in a while I'd have a need for the bag by my side, like while shooting a car meet with four different cameras. Two hung around the neck, and the other two in the bag ready to go at a moments notice.

PF

Back