Vacation with Slide Film: Need Tips

cmdrzed

wallflower
Local time
5:38 AM
I will be spending a week on Pensacola beach this coming month and I would like to shoot with slide film (Kodachrome and Velvia). I want to use the Kodachrome to capture family photos that have a vintage 60's feel while using the Velvia for landscape type shots. The problem is that I am a b/w user and have not shot with chromes before. From what I have read, metering is trickier when using slides. My Nikon FE will be my main camera (not taking my M6 due to sand fears) and it has a 60/40 center-weighted meter. I will shoot a test roll with Velvia tomorrow but I don't think the Kodachrome slides will get back to me before my vacation (plus I don't want to waste a roll of the recently-hard-to-get Kodachrome).

Does anyone have tips, pointers, experience, or decent url references for me? Thanks in advance.

Does anyone have tips, pointers, experience, or decent url references for me? Thanks in advance.

Yes. Don't shoot slides. Beaches are high-contrast and slide film doesn't have much latitude. Not only is exposure tricky, it could be impossible - you'll end up having to deal with shadows that lack detail or skies and beach sand that is seriously blown out. Of course, that *is* the classic look, if that's what you're after.

The traditional wisdom for slides is expose for highlights. That way you at least don't have blown-out skies and sand. Darks will block up, but there you go.

Use a polarizer, and if you're shooting seascapes, you can try an ND grad, especially since you're shooting an SLR. Just remember what your filter factor is, meter without the ND grad, and then set exposure manually after subtracting out the filter factor for the top half of the ND grad.

I personally think Velvia does typical skin tones rather badly. For typical beach scenes, it's fine if there are no people.

Yes. Shoot slides. Agree, expose for the highlights, but always keep the sun behind you. That means don't shoot while the sun is overhead, so shoot in the mornings or late afternoons and you'll have great light if the sun is behind you.

If you keep the sun behind you, metering will be a breeze.

Also agree people will look better in Kodachrome.

P.S. Keep the sun behind you.

I was at a beach location a couple months ago and had no trouble with the couple rolls of slides I shot - the key, as others have mentioned,
was shooting only in the early morning or late afternoon, with the sun behind or beside you.

And I had a meterless camera, so don't stress too much about the exposure once the light is less harsh. This is Ektachrome:

3389875735_168f4ab768_b.jpg

Excellent tips everyone. Maybe I am trying to make slide film more difficult than it should be. My plan is to shoot landscapes/seascapes in the early morning and late afternoon.

snausages: Excellent. I hope to come back with shots like that.

Two reasons for not taking the M6:

1. I have a wider variety of focal lengths for the Nikon than I do for the M. I am a recent convert to Leica (~6 months ago) while I have shot Nikon for years. I am slowly switching over to the rangefinder.

2. Money for a repair in the event something (sand/water) happens to it. I couldn't care less if I end up losing an FE as I have more than one. I would be more distraught over losing the film than the camera.

Oh come on boys. Entire generations captured their holidays (on beach or in the mountains) to slide. Most of them were boring, rarely were artistic, but the families enjoyed them.

You can shot bw and perhaps it would be seen by your family as very artistic, but it will end in a drawer and not bee took out in 10 years for the simply reason it doesn't captured memories. You haven't seen your holiday in BW, right?

Slide is not so problematic everybody talks about.

Eugen

The slide films you get today -- including soon-to-be-gone Kodachrome -- don't give a 1960s look (I shot a lot of slide in the 60s...). If you're after that sort of look, I'd shoot neg and post-process.

Oh: and what do you think sand and water are going to do to your Leica? I've used Leicas on beaches (and indeed in spas) for almost 40 years. Don't worry so much!

Cheers,

R.

I've been using slide film for well over 25 years and it just isn't that hard. Yes, the exposure latitude is 5-6 stops as opposed to 10-11 for negative film, but a range of 5-6 stops is not much different than current high end digital cameras. In other words, its sufficient for most purposes. If you're concerned about tricky situations, bracket your shots. The center weighted meter in your FE is a very good. There are situations that will trick it, but you already know what those are. Use your experience from shooting B&W. You won't go too far wrong.

When you're outside, its kind of tough to only make exposures when the sun is behind you. You're missing out on 3/4th of you potential shots. Many shots are far better with side lighting than with frontal lighting. Shots into the sun are problematic with potential flair and exposure problems, but even these can work. Don't be afraid to use fill flash to offset harsh shadows.

I also don't buy the "put the camera away unless its early morning or evening" approach. If you're trying to capture your vacation, much of it is taking place during the rest of the day. "Magic light" is great, but it only takes place for an hour or so a day, if its not overcast.

I realize this will sound like hearesy this week, but I've never liked Kodachrome. In using Kodachrome and Velvia you're using two films with very distinct color palettes. Neither of these is a general purpose film and both are relatively expensive in comparision to other types. I generally use Provia to get great color and good skin tones. It's also available in 100 and 400 ISO as opposed to 64 and 50 which are fine for a sunny day with a fast prime lens, but quickly become too slow in the evening or with a slower lens or if you're trying to capture action.

The most important advise that I could give is to have fun and do not obsess over taking pictures. Film is still fairly cheap. Don't be afraid to try shots that may not work. You could be surprised.

The feedback is good. Maybe my choice of slide film is not the best and should throw in a few more types. Provia and Astia have already been mentioned. I can always pick up a few different rolls before I leave. It would probably make sense to have some 100/400 iso film available in the event it is needed.

I don't want to turn the discussion into a "Take the M/Don't take the M" thread but this will be my first beach visit and justified to myself that I should take the FE's instead. Don't get me wrong, my M6 is a user grade camera and I don't treat it as a collectible. It may not make sense to everyone but it does in my head. Hopefully this won't offend anyone considering this is a rangefinder forum :)

Do not worry about offending, some you will and some you wont and some you just can not tell. I treated my Ms the same way. Vacation yes, beach NO. The FE is a fine choice. Trust the meter as you have with B&W. Another alternative is to use a incident meter (hand held) or trust the sunny-16 rule. When shooting into the sun, take a meter reading off your hand. Small 18% gray would work too but you look funny carrying one of them around. Your palm works well enough. Make sure it's (your hand) got the same light as your subject has on it.

Another option to think about if you are doing the beach thing alot is a Nikonos III. IMHO the most rocking beach camera ever.

B2 (;->

Take filters and overexpose by one half stop in contrasty shots. In fact, for harsh light, just filter and go with the meter.

I too have used my Leica in beaches, but then, I understand your reluctance to take it. Besides, if you have more Nikon than Leica glass, use it.

Slide film has simply less latitude than print film. As mentioned above, C-41 can handle sometimes four stops, while slide film won't go beyond two. Use Kodachrome if you're including people in your shots, but switch to something like Ektachrome for landscapes. Velvia is a bit too saturated, and your landscapes won't have much of a color range.

Must confess another heresy: I never liked Velvia. I always preferred Kodachrome.

In any event, have fun at the beach and don't forget to scan and post your best shots!

Excellent tips everyone. Maybe I am trying to make slide film more difficult than it should be. My plan is to shoot landscapes/seascapes in the early morning and late afternoon....

The first time I brought slide film on vacation, I was a bit nervous after reading about the miniscule exposure latitidue. If you read off the middle gray, your shots will turn out well. If you want to take some photos midday too, they will also turn out well. I had a few shots that were underexposed, but overall it turned out well.

If it's an awesome shot and you are nervous, just bracket it (+/- 2/3 of a stop). The extra cost of 2 slides isn't worth missing a great shot.

Kodachrome 64, midday, Nokton 50/1.5

2992645203_5f9b2da5a1.jpg

Unhelpful choice expanding comment:

Provia 400x is my go everywhere slide film of choice. Great stuff, no skin tone problems. If I had to carry only one slide film, this one wins, hands down.

And be careful taking any slide film into mixed light temperature scenes. You can be a hero one minute and a goat the next if you walk from sunlight to incandescent mixed light hoping to get acceptable color in the mixed scene. Of course, they all convert fine to BW in post if it comes down to it.

And I agree with the others: there is nothing to fear from slide film, except that it may make all your other color films seem inadequate by comparison. Shoot away.

another vote for slide film. I went to Mexico back in April and slide is all I shot for colour (plus a roll of B&W Agfa Scala). I agree with the other poster who suggested not obsessing over "golden hour" light. I usually do, it makes me miserable when I miss it and then my pictures turn out alright anyway. An added benefit of slide film is that you can push it.

Here are a few shots from the trip. Shot on Astia and Velvia using the Voigtlander R3A meter reading. Here's a few more.

3662660269_a6eed56463_o.jpg

3663463596_9a387461a6_o.jpg

3662662085_f9bd55ddc6_o.jpg

3663464844_5a47af82f0_o.jpg

Back