Vertical line. Solms or not?

Tamagi

Local time
7:19 AM
Hello everyone,
I need some advice. I bought a M8.2 (4000 actuations), an Elmarit 28mm and I was planning to add a Zeiss Sonnar to the lot. Everything would have been perfect if not for the dreaded vertical line. It's always there at 640 and above and sometimes visible even at 320 or 160.

I mailed Leica and they need the camera before handing an estimate. The camera has no warranty. If it's a few hundred euros, I could make it but if it requires a sensor change, I will have to sacrifice the Sonnar. So the question is, does this line problem get worse overtime? Is it proven? If such is the case, I may have to send it in. More so I'll be moving to Nepal in August and sending the camera from there might be more difficult if things do get worse. But, if it stays the way it is—a pixel wide—I can live with it. I used to scan my negatives so scratches and dust don't scare me much, and this line is much easier to get rid off with a Photoshop action. Plus I can have the Sonnar, a nice A&A bag and head for Kathmandu.
Or send it in, forget the Sonnar but get some peace of mind and probably some warranty. By the way, it was already in Solms in december 2010 for screen change (coffee stain).
I am torn inbetween sending it to Solms or letting it be. Your opinions might help me decide :)
Thanks.

You have time to send it for a diagnosis and repair-estimate before your trip - although you will miss the camera before you can make an informed decision of course. After all, if they say it isn't going to get worse, then you don't have to have a repair made.

Thanks MartinP. If it goes to Solms, I'd rather have it repaired and use Service Fast or the camera may not be back before I leave :)

I had it happen on my M8 (and M9!) and it got worse with use. Took about 3 months from it going to visible at ISO640 to visible at all ISOs.
Some people say remapping is possible, others say sensor replacement is the only option. What I know is that mine was repaired under warranty and it was gone for 6 weeks. If it was sensor replacement, some of that time was travel from Leica NJ to Solms.
Get it done ASAP because it will eventually show up in all of your images and make the camera very irritating to use.

Phil Forrest

Thanks. It will be going to Solms as I have encountered further problems with the camera. A rather strange artifact in blown highlights…

zag.jpg

I bought the camera from someone who assured me that all was absolutely fine. Besides, the camera had had a CLA and screen change just 6 months back. Lesson learned! I will only buy from reputable dealers now.

Back