Very 1st Leica photo

nice amp

nice amp

my favorite guitar amp uses a quad of EL34s.

I've owned several of those Dyna ST70s, stock, and modded, as well as Scotts, Eicos, McIntosh MC240s, HK Citation V's, II's, and others.

I have a small recording studio and for amping the monitors have gone solid state, but still use tube amps for listening for fun and for my guitar amps.

venchka said:
M5 + 90mm Elmarit

It has to be uphill from here! :D

I used to bid on Dynas on eb*y.. was always outbid.. but I ended up getting an Assemblage ST-40 (Sonic Frontier's homebrew EL34 based amp).. stocked all around with Mullards.. but those got pretty expensive to retube so I switched to Teslas and Telefunken input valves

I always wondered how the Dynas sound

Nice Amp! I used to build Valve Amps too but since I started with RFmania the desire faded (someday a hombrewn LF Camera will be born...heck at least a pinhole-cam ;)

Lets make it a W/NW Valves and Leicas!

Your El34 PP is a power horse compaired to my homebrewn Type 45 Single ended DHT-Amp! Did you wire them EL34´s in Pentode or in Triode-mode?
If you need more than 1 Watt you got the wrong speakers ;)

Type 45SE (with Sovtek 2A3´s plugged in) Photographed with Leica M3+Cron coll. (approx. 2.0 W power shot with 2.0 aparture)

Direct heated greetings!

Attachments

• 2a3 verstärker.jpg
    2a3 verstärker.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 0
Y'all know good amps!

Y'all know good amps!

The Dyna ST-70 sat in a closet next to my old RF equipment for ages. I dug it up and sent it to Circle Stereo outside Austin and Bill Green rebuilt it. I scored a PAS-3 on ebay and had Bill rebuild it also. The PAS has the original Dynaco-Telefunken long plate 12AX7 tubes and the ST-70 currently has 4 Mullard EL-34s. I have a quad of Teslas and a quad of East German Siemens-Marshalls as backup. All of that luscious sound eminates from a pair of D. T. Power Monitor 700s. Janice never sounded so good! Alison Krauss+Union Station too! :D

My next task is to make my pictures look as good as the stereo system sounds.

Bring on your Tubes & Leicas! ;)

Last edited:
Ahh, the PAS ... and Janice ...

Ahh, the PAS ... and Janice ...

one of my favorite preamps. my last one was fitted with sheldon stokes upgraded circuit board and sounded wonderful with a rebuilt pr of quad esl 57's with various power amps.

I was listening to Janice in the car last night (Cheap Thrills), and then on TV a kid was singing the same tune on one of those rock star tv shows!

venchka said:
The Dyna ST-70 sat in a closet next to my old RF equipment for ages. I dug it up and sent it to Circle Stereo outside Austin and Bill Green rebuilt it. I scored a PAS-3 on ebay and had Bill rebuild it also. The PAS has the original Dynaco-Telefunken long plate 12AX7 tubes and the ST-70 currently has 4 Mullard EL-34s. I have a quad of Teslas and a quad of East German Siemens-Marshalls as backup. All of that luscious sound eminates from a pair of D. T. Power Monitor 700s. Janice never sounded so good! Alison Krauss+Union Station too! :D

My next task is to make my pictures look as good as the stereo system sounds.

Bring on your Tubes & Leicas! ;)

ampguy said:
...I was listening to Janice in the car last night (Cheap Thrills), and then on TV a kid was singing the same tune on one of those rock star tv shows!

Cheap Thrills is the definitive Janice Joplin! IMHO. My vinyl version was stolen ages ago. The kid tried. Close, but no cigar! They just don't make 'em like they used to.

Hey, way too many words for a W/NW threads! Show me the bottles!

I agree!

I agree!

About 2 years ago I interviewed Elliot Mazer, the producer of both the original LP, as well as the DVD-A version of "Cheap Thrills", as well as several of Neil Young's original, and re-released LP's including the 192khz-24-bit "Harvest" DVD-A, one of my favorites.

Anyways, get hold of Cheap Thrills on DVD-A, you won't miss the vinyl...

venchka said:
Cheap Thrills is the definitive Janice Joplin! IMHO. My vinyl version was stolen ages ago. The kid tried. Close, but no cigar! They just don't make 'em like they used to.

Hey, way too many words for a W/NW threads! Show me the bottles!

Amp and turntable

Amp and turntable

Hi,

My Welborne 300B amp and a pic of my TERES #18.3 turntable.
Pics taken with an M4 and a LC1.

Ciao

Joerg

Attachments

• 08740016.jpg
    08740016.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P1000359.jpg
    P1000359.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 0
ampguy said:
one of my favorite preamps. my last one was fitted with sheldon stokes upgraded circuit board and sounded wonderful with a rebuilt pr of quad esl 57's with various power amps.

I was listening to Janice in the car last night (Cheap Thrills), and then on TV a kid was singing the same tune on one of those rock star tv shows!
Sheldon is a good guy! He did some minor mods to my PAS-3x, but it's currently not in the system.

Back