Viewfinder fine tuning

Philip Whiteman

Well-known
Local time
7:34 AM
Has anyone discovered a way of finely adjusting the OVF frame position? My X-Pro has a small offset that means that the central focussing square is offset slightly at all focusing distances (something that is apparent when after focussing you compare the live view image, or the image recorded, with the view framed by the parallax-compensated OVF frame).

In practice you can get round it by establishing where the focussed (green) box sits in relation to the true centre of the sensor image and compensating when you shoot using the OVF. However, the offset becomes more and more noticeable with longer lenses and it would be nice to tweak the OVF so that it is spot on...

What happens when you disable parallax correction in the menu? Is the box adequately centered? IS the center independent of focal length?

When parallax correction is enabled, the focus box shifts to estimate the frame center. Usually the amount of shift increases as focus subject distance increases.

At any rate, as far as I know there is no way to fine tune the OVF frame position or focus region shift. I suppose the frame and focus region shift is computed in real time. If this is the case, then there would be no means for Fujifilm service to make a mechanical adjustment.

The whole kybosh is slightly misaligned, the error becoming more noticeable as focal length increases. So the optical frame and focus patch are more or less OK with the 18mm wide angle and 18-55 zoom at its widest setting, but by the time you go out to 55 or use the 60mm prime lens the true centre of the image is at the bottom right corner of the patch. The error is the same at all distances - so it's nothing to do with the parallax correction.

My guess is that the parallax correction is applied electronically (and, by the way, has been improved by the latest firmware update) but the basic infinity alignment of the OVF is a mechanical one.

It's not a big issue - no one should expect perfect framing from an OVF - but it would be nice to be able to adjust out an offset like this.

I find the X100 OVF is better aligned - but then that has a fixed lens of short focal length.

Back