Vik-vik

Chris101

summicronia
Local time
8:14 AM
One of the coolest things about using a Holga, is the lack of any indication of when the frame has been correctly advanced. You can count clicks, or (when using 120 film) look through the red window, but you can also 'use the Force', er, I mean, guess. This can work out, if you re adept, or it can lead to merged frames that I call 'Stream of Consciousness' photography.

This is Vik-vik, my masseuse.
vikvik.jpg

Shot on HP5+, standard Holga, flash, HC110b for 5 and a half minutes.

That's the second time this week I've heard that name. Maybe all this B&W is harking back to the Beat Generation.

Thanks daddy-O.

Chris101 said:
That's the second time this week I've heard that name. Maybe all this B&W is harking back to the Beat Generation.

Thanks daddy-O.

Sure thing ,big dog - only damn hippies don't get this.

as Borroughs put it: "Hippies are people not hip enough to be hipsters".

matthew.paul said:
Looking good, Chris! Nice to find you and Ned over here.

I've got to agree with the Kerouac statement.

H-m-m, the "Old Boy's Club" invades! Interesting shot, Chris. A-h-h hippies were just beatniks who liked rock 'n roll!

excellent, Chris ! I shoul take out my Holga from the box ! And maybe also some book from that old generation !
rob

Nice shots

Nice shots

Michael I. said:
Sure thing ,big dog - only damn hippies don't get this.

as Borroughs put it: "Hippies are people not hip enough to be hipsters".

I'd appreciate it if you would stop raggin on the people who came after. Matter of fact, no need to put anyone down. You are making me feel uncomfortable.

Please just keep it to the image presented. There is enough here to talk about.

I liked it when he described it as stream of conciousness photography. That's a good way of looking at it.

Michael I. said:
with all due respect to hippies they werent half as cool as beatnicks.
They had slightly better musci though.
better drugs too.

:cool: :cool: Shout out to my NCers!:cool: :cool:

Thanks to Robert and Peter. Not to worry, I was a hippie, and we made fun of those old guys with the berets and goatees. While paying 'em tribute for pointing the way to counter the culture, of course.

Last edited:
Cool image Chris. I guess thats the fun with Holga's... it's a mystery until you develop the film. Hi NCafe boys :)

actually was born WAY after hippies and beatnicks.

Beatnicks had great literature and good music(in my opinion) and hippies had great art and music.

There is one instance of Kerouc being used for a gap commercial which is disturbing in a way, but thats a whole different story.

I never did the whole spectrum of drugs so I cant judge.

Hey Chris! Yeah, I think we're here as a digital backlash.

Michael, 'hippy art' was, in a naive way, the precursor to 'low brow' art we see in graffiti, tattoos and modern painting. The whole visually psychedelic thing arose from interpretations of hippy drugs like LSD. And that still affects our photography today.

Of course today, we know that drugs are bad.

Imho, of course.

When using 35mm film in Holga, you can count the "clicks". Start with 35 and subtract 1 for every frame. That will give you some space between the frames if you want to.

Thanks for the numbers Markus. But all my other cameras do the frame thing so well. Mixing and mis-matching is something that Holga has to itself.

Back