Vintage Classic Cameras: The Unvarnished Truth. The Olympus Pen Saga, Part 1

Jason Schneider

the Camera Collector
Local time
11:10 AM
Vintage Classic Cameras: The Unvarnished Truth
The Olympus Pen Saga, Part 1

The great success of the Olympus Pen series of compact half-frame (18 x 24mm format) 35mm cameras ignited the half-frame camera craze of the 1960s that saw dozens of competitive models from makers including Canon, Yashica, Minolta, Petri, Fuji, Agfa, etc. It all began with the humble Olympus Pen of 1959, and ended more than 20 years later in the early ‘80s.

The original Olympus Pen was designed by Maitani Yoshihisa (last name first per Japanese tradition), one of the truly great camera designers of the 20th century and the principal designer of the landmark Olympus OM-1 full-frame 35mm SLR in 1972.

rs=w:1440,h:1440

The Original Olympus Pen launched in 1959 started the hall frame camera craze

Original Olympus Pen

Initially subcontracted to Sankyo-Shoji, Olympus began making the Pen themselves within a year. A modest, elemental compact, it measures a pocket-sized 2.7 x 4.2 x 1.6 inches (H x W x D), and weighs in at a portable 12.3 ounces, not including its cool zippered leather pouch case. It has a 28mm f/3.5 D. Zuiko lens, an excellent 4-element 3, group Tessar type that provides a full-frame-equivalent focal length of about 40mm, a Copal leaf shutter with speeds of 1/25, 1/50, 1/100 and 1/200 sec plus B, a 0.5x luminous bright frame optical viewfinder, a thumbwheel film advance, a removable back for loading, and helical focusing by scale with markings down to 2 feet, but focusing to about 1 foot with the lens fully extended. This elegant little camera is a masterpiece of minimalist design, and its imaging performance is spectacular, especially when you consider that its original list price was a mere $29.95. It’s still my personal favorite scale-focusing Pen and I’ve owned a half dozen of them over the years. All have proven sharp, reliable picture takers, very enjoyable to shoot with, and as easy to carry as a (what else?) pen.

Back view of Olympus Pen shows signature thumb wheel for film winding

These days, an original Pen is considered something of a collector’s item and pristine examples are occasionally offered at fancy prices in the $150-200 range. But if you’re patient you can snag one that’s clean and functional for $75 or even less. They were produced in prodigious numbers so they’re not rare, and they’re definitely great, fun user-collectibles.

Olympus Pen S

Strictly as a picture-taking proposition you’re probably better off with an Olympus Pen S which debuted in 1960 and says OLYMPUS-PEN S on the front of the chrome finished top plate, next to the front finder window. It’s essentially the same camera with the same linear dimensions as the Original Pen but its Copal shutter has 6 timed speeds ranging from1/8-1/250 sec, plus B and its lens is a 30mm f/2.8 D. Zuiko lens, also a Tessar-type, that’s a tad faster and longer. Note: a smaller number were fitted with f/3.5 lenses. The S is also slightly heavier than the Original Pen, but it’s hardly noticeable. Like its more Spartan stablemate, it’s a superb picture taker and a gorgeous little machine. You can expect to shell out $80-100 for a clean working Pen S and it’s well worth it.

Olympus Pen S of 1960 has an f/2.8 or f/3.5 lens, wider shutter speed range

Rare black Olympus Pen S is a collector's prize that fetches $250 and up

Olympus Pen D

Launched in 1962 as a higher-spec Pen aimed at enthusiasts, the Pen D sports a high-performance 6-element, 4-group 32mm f/1.9 F. Zuiko (45mm equivalent) lens that focuses down to 0.8 m, a Copal X shutter with 7 speeds ranging from 1/8-1/500 plus B, and X-sync, and a built-in uncoupled selenium cell meter which reads out in EV numbers from 7-17 (there’s an EV scale on the lens barrel). The bright frame is no longer transilluminated because the frosted window was eliminated to make room for the meter, and the Pen D is nearly ½ inch thicker and somewhat heavier than its predecessors because of the larger, faster lens. The overall feel of the camera is a bit “chunkier” than the S, but it still handles and balances very well. While the tiny selenium meter isn’t sensitive enough for low light work, the fast lens sure is, so all the D models, including the plain D, are definitely the most versatile models for street shooters. The lens is outstanding, though you do have to estimate your distances more accurately (or carry a separate rangefinder) when shooting at its widest apertures at close distances. At the current price range of $50-100 the Pen D is a good value and a fine shooter. Make sure the meter is working—selenium meters are easily damaged and hard or impossible to fix!

Olympus Pen D, has fast 32mm f/1.9 F. Zuiko lens, built-in uncoupled selenium meter, and a 1/500 sec top shutter speed

Olympus Pen D2 and D3

The Olympus Pen D2 which debuted in 1964 is basically a Pen D with a built-in uncoupled CdS meter in place of the D’s selenium cell meter. The good news: the meter is more rugged and more sensitive, covering an EV 3-17 range, still at ASA 10-400. The bad news: it was designed for a mercury cell, so you’ll have to have the camera converted and adjusted to give accurate readings with currently available alkaline or silver-oxide cell that fit. Most camera repair shops can do the job at relatively moderate cost, but check before you buy, or just use a separate handheld meter. You can find an Olympus Pen D2 in nice shape for as little as $80, but pristine examples with everything in the original box can fetch up to $200. It’s a very nice camera, but the plain Pen D is probably a better buy for users and no battery conversion is required.

Olympus Pen D2 has more sensitive CdS meter, but it was designed for banned mercuric oxide cells, requires conversion to work with available batteries

Olympus Pen D3: The Last Pen D had a 32mm f/1.7 F. Zuiko lens

The Olympus Pen D3 introduced in 1965 is the last of the Pen Ds. It incorporates the same uncoupled CdS meter as the Pen D2 and it also requires conversion and adjustment if you want to use the meter with currently available batteries. Its signature feature is a slightly faster 32mm f/1.7 F. Zuiko lens, also a high-performance 6-element, 4-group design. All comments about the Pen D2 apply, and both models are handsome, well made, reliable cameras that deliver outstanding on-film performance and an enjoyable shooting experience. Prices for a clean, functional Olympus Pen D3 now run around $100-120, but you can occasionally spot them for less, and mint examples with everything in the box can fetch up to $200.

Great write up, thanks. Currently I still have two early Pens, a late Sankyo-Shoji Pen from April, 1960 and a early Olympus one lug from August of the same year. Both still work. That two blade Copal is a really reliable shutter. The five blade Copal’s on the ‘S’ models is far more prone to gum up and/or run slow.
Have never been without a viewfinder Pen since 1970, when I bought a used one from Altman’s in Chicago.
It is a killer street film camera with the 28mm (40mm-e for full frame) lens, and whisper quiet in use.

Thanks for this article Jason. I am a big fan of the Olympus Pen family and own quite a few. They are really well made with great lenses, and so quiet and unobtrusive to use. I also have a couple of Pen FT SLRs and various lenses - I'm hoping you'll write about these too. The Pen FT form factor makes it feel more like a rangefinder in day to day use, just the louder shutter noise gives it away. It's a good looking camera too, one of the best in my opinion.

I'd like to pick one up sometime, but these half frame cameras are getting expensive :( I remember when you could pick one up for peanuts and I never bothered cause I thought the IQ wasn't good. Now that I want one...the prices have gone up :/

Another thumbs up for the Pen S. I got a second one to repaint black someday because there's no way I'm shelling out for a Pen W. :)

The autoexposure Pens are nice users, too!

50377528126_06f6d54089_b.jpg

Hope you write about the Pen F, FT, FV series. I love picking up my Pen F, shutter speed dial, aperture ring, focus, that's it, you could write the instructions on an index card. I have an EM10 that I also use the film Pen F Zuikos on but the instructions! Yikes! I'm fairly sure the space Shuttle was simpler. After an afternoon reading the EM10 PDF I'm ready to pick up my half frame cameras out of sheer exhaustion.

I'm a little bit embarrassed to admit that I bought and refurbished a Pen S a few years ago but have yet to load it with film. But there's something wonderful about the lack of clutter involved with a camera like this, as with 72+ exposures per roll of film, carrying additional rolls of film becomes optional.

Expensive Olympus Pens?

Expensive Olympus Pens?

I'd like to pick one up sometime, but these half frame cameras are getting expensive :( I remember when you could pick one up for peanuts and I never bothered cause I thought the IQ wasn't good. Now that I want one...the prices have gone up :/

Yes, prices for Olympus Pens are generally higher than they were, say, 10-15 years ago, but you can still snag an Original f/3.5 model from the early '60s for around $60 if you're patient, and there are number of very clean working chrome finished Pen S models with f/2.8 lenses currently being offered at under $100. In my opinion, these are hardly outrageous prices and if I hankered for a garden variety half frame Pen (not a rare back finished one or a Pen W) I wouldn't be deterred. If I wanted to play the coulda, woulda, shoulda game I could wring my hands over not buying the half dozen Leica I (Model A) cameras that were offered to me at double-digit prices in the early '60s, but that was a long time ago so now I just smile. :)

I could wring my hands over not buying the half dozen Leica I (Model A) cameras that were offered to me at double-digit prices in the early '60s, but that was a long time ago so now I just smile. :)

How many months rent + utilities + groceries + pocket money might that double-digit price have paid for?

If shopping right now for a standard Pen viewfinder type (not the EE which have very limited manual control, and on the 28mm f3.5 model fixed focus) the best practice is patience. Do not rush and be ready for up to a six month shopping experience.
The original Pen, introduced in late 1959 is still a very desirable camera and a clean working sample is well worth $100 after shipping.
The projected frame viewfinder alone would cost $200 to reproduce in today’s dollars.
Considering the rate of inflation since they were sold new in 1960, a C-note is a reasonable current value.

The limits of practical advice

The limits of practical advice

How many months rent + utilities + groceries + pocket money might that double-digit price have paid for?

I made what I thought was a lighthearted offhand comment on why I no longer agonize over the long lost Leicas I could've acquired for (relatively speaking) a pittance back in the day. You responded with a pointed comment that the money I saved by not buying them might have paid for rent, utilities, and groceries, and left me some extra pocket money. Fair enough, but if memory serves, I could have acquired all 6 Leica I (model A) cameras for a grand total of $350-400, not an inconsiderable sum in the early '60s. However their current value would come to about $8000-$9000 which is a pretty good return on investment even when you factor in inflation. In any event I've always managed to find money for cameras I wanted whether I could afford them or not--just ask my wife. I guess when it comes to cameras I'm an unrepentant wastrel, a nice 18th century term for a spendthrift.

Right now I'm trying to decide between a new TLR and a half frame camera. A canon demi would be nice too, but they seem even more expensive on ebay these days.

I might pick up a PEN at some point. Seems like it's better to "get your money's worth" so to speak in film ;). 120 film is expensive, and the PEN seems capable of some great images considering the small image size. The picture's look very "filmic" and nostalgic looking, quite interesting effect.

Thanks for the tip on being a penny pincher, probably it's worth picking up something you like if the cost is a little high but not unreasonable.

I'm thinking I'm going to sell my Praktica BMS and Prakticar PB lenses because I don't use it. I wonder if this will be a collectible at some point though. SLRs are getting harder to handle for me after using rangefinders, even though this model is quite compact.

I made what I thought was a lighthearted offhand comment on why I no longer agonize over the long lost Leicas I could've acquired for (relatively speaking) a pittance back in the day. You responded with a pointed comment that the money I saved by not buying them might have paid for rent, utilities, and groceries, and left me some extra pocket money. Fair enough, but if memory serves, I could have acquired all 6 Leica I (model A) cameras for a grand total of $350-400, not an inconsiderable sum in the early '60s. However their current value would come to about $8000-$9000 which is a pretty good return on investment even when you factor in inflation. In any event I've always managed to find money for cameras I wanted whether I could afford them or not--just ask my wife. I guess when it comes to cameras I'm an unrepentant wastrel, a nice 18th century term for a spendthrift.

You responded with a pointed comment that the money I saved by not buying them might have paid for rent, utilities, and groceries, and left me some extra pocket money.

Sorry, not intended as such, it's just that for me, the historical context can be just as fascinating as the cameras themselves. By the time I had the means to shop for, and buy my own cameras, it was the early 1980s, and my own history with Olympus half-frame cameras only goes back to around 2017.

Jason,

Thank you for illuminating these wonderful little cameras. The quality and simplicity are a hallmark for many products of that era. I wish that more manufactures today focus on those aspects of products rather than features.

That Black Pen S gives me such GAS.....

Thanks again.

B2

For those who like a bit of fun, you can print two half-frame negs on one piece of 6x4 photopaper, and go out with the intent of shooting diptychs.

I'm just a muddler, but I thought this pairing was rather fun, and it's an interesting exercise - you need to remember what you snapped last or it goes to pieces very rapidly!

Shark2 by gray1720, on Flickr

... handsome, well made, reliable cameras that deliver outstanding on-film performance and an enjoyable shooting experience...

That is so very true of these cameras. Yet, perhaps many people like myself never truly grasp just how good the image quality is nor understand the enjoyable experience of using these cameras until they finally try one. I ignored Olympus half-frame cameras until I bought an FT - what an awakening.

Thank you for reviewing these little gems. I always enjoy your reviews.

I used to have a Pen D2, rather fond of it as very well-made and performed well too. Good for my travels by motorcycle... It replaced a Petri Half-7 that I had picked up in Turkey. And it was replaced in turn by an Olympus 35RC because it was full-frame 35 and not much larger than the Pen. I still have the 35RC.

I was thinking of buying a half frame until this morning when I tried looking at pictures on a half-frame flickr group again. I wasn't too impressed by the image quality. What struck me before as somewhat retro and nostalgic, highlighting the film grain and quality, etc., now just seemed like reduced image quality.

So I stopped myself from buying one - I have a lot of cameras and trying not to induce GAS any more ;)

Back