Vitomatic II soft glow in some pictures.

Forest_rain

Well-known
Local time
11:32 PM
Just developed my first roll on this camera. In some images, there is a soft glow if there is a bright white light. You can see it in the first two pictures. The third picture is a "good" picture from this camera.

What's causing this glow?

Looking through the front of the lens, the lens looks clean and clear. But I opened up the back, opened up the aperture wide open and opened the shutter to "bulb", and looking through it into the light I can see what looks like some large oil spots on the edge, which might be oil or separation.

Impossible to clean without taking apart the whole camera. Do you think the images are OK or should I return it? I would lose probably $20 shipping, pay return shipping, and get $40 back for the camera.

Attachments

• Vitomatic II Kodak400_003 For Forum.jpg
    Vitomatic II Kodak400_003 For Forum.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 0
  • Vitomatic II Kodak400_018 For Forum.jpg
    Vitomatic II Kodak400_018 For Forum.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Vitomatic II Kodak400_006 For furm.jpg
    Vitomatic II Kodak400_006 For furm.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 0
I've attached two pictures of the lens when viewed pointed at a light, from behind, with the shutter open in bulb mode, you can see some oil(?).

Third picture is another good image I got from this camera.

Attachments

• IMG_0073(1) (2).jpg
    IMG_0073(1) (2).jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0076 (2).jpg
    IMG_0076 (2).jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Vitomatic II Kodak400_004.jpg For Forum.jpg
    Vitomatic II Kodak400_004.jpg For Forum.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 0
Return it and cut your losses, you'll never get that sorted for $20!

It's you that decides the tolerance for image quality, but I would not accept that in a camera just bought in good faith.

Two more pictures where the glow is somewhat noticeable from the light.

It's interesting, sometimes this lens resolves well, sometimes it doesn't. I can't tell if I like it or not.

Also it's a 1 hour photo lab, so I'm wondering if I switch labs the pictures may turn out better as well.

Attachments

• Vitomatic II Kodak400_019 for forum.jpg
    Vitomatic II Kodak400_019 for forum.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Vitomatic II Kodak400_016 for forum.jpg
    Vitomatic II Kodak400_016 for forum.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 0
I have had similar problems with a Vito and an Agfa - both my fault. The focus rings get tight as the grease hardens over time, looks like someone may have used naptha to loosen the focusing. This is the residue.

In UK the seller has to pay return postage if there's a fault. Ebay make it impossible for them not to. UK law says the buyer mustn't be out of pocket. That's probably why I sell half my stuff overseas through ebay.co.uk

I have had similar problems with a Vito and an Agfa - both my fault. The focus rings get tight as the grease hardens over time, looks like someone may have used naptha to loosen the focusing. This is the residue.

In UK the seller has to pay return postage if there's a fault. Ebay make it impossible for them not to. UK law says the buyer mustn't be out of pocket. That's probably why I sell half my stuff overseas through ebay.co.uk

Thanks. I didn't mess with the camera at all, I just shot a roll with it. I also noticed there's a screw missing with the screw hole stripped, like someone tried to open it and didn't know what they were doing. I'm not sure what US law is but I'm wondering if someone tried to sell me a bunk camera he messed with and didn't want anymore :( Will see. I'll contact the seller and bring up the issues with him.

Back