Voigtlander M 35/1.2 Nokton photos...

Glad to see some activity in this thread still! I'm considering this lens after shooting (very briefly) with a friend's a couple of years ago. Have the major proponents of this lens moved on to other pastures? Or are they still shooting with it?

14724242949_7553b75476_b.jpg

Think I slightly missed the focus here, but still love the result. Not sure if this was a v1 or v2, which brings me to ...

(EDIT: Looking back at my notes -- this was v. 2. I had forgotten.)

Any consensus on v1 or v2? Both good? One better than the other (in IQ or build or anything else)?

Have the major proponents of this lens moved on to other pastures? Or are they still shooting with it?

I've had one since 2011. There's just no other 35 like it in M-mount.

Any consensus on v1 or v2? Both good? One better than the other (in IQ or build or anything else)?

In my opinion, the V2 wins out on mechanics alone (closer focus, bayonet-style hood). The alleged IQ improvements may be there, but the V1 was already amazing. Sadly, the V2 does not come in chrome!

with an m2 and its ~.7m rf coupling, i actually prefer not having .5m close focus... i still have and love mine, even though my 35mm f2.5 sees more use.

I am owner of v1 of this lens and for me it seems kinda boring optics. Was using a lot of Zeiss optics and I am so disappointed so will sell this one :(
So if someone want to buy this one in NL please PM me anywhere

Robam Tep Apsara

Robam Tep Apsara

I used to have v1 of this lens, which I used primarily with the Epson RD1s. Sold the lens when I sold the body. I've recently picked up a nice copy of v2, and have been using it with a Sony A7R.

U23043I1482344803.SEQ.0.jpg

I bought the Nokton 35mm f1.2 (Version II) a month ago and I've been having so much fun with it. Here are two shots taken with it on my Sony A7II.

Wide Open
DSC08846.JPG

Stopped down to f16
DSC08420.JPG

And, the beat goes on. A few more from the Nokton 35mm.

VM 35mm f1.2 Nokton II, Sony A7II, Voigtlander VM/E Close Focus Adapter

DSC08798.JPG

DSC08842.JPG

DSC08800.JPG

DSC08789.JPG

Sony A7II, Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 Nokton II VM lens
A few more from the same day (Yokohama, Japan).

DSC09817.JPG

DSC09818.JPG

DSC09799.JPG

Still feeling the love!

I don't have this lens, but did wonder what had happened to its popularity. When I joined the forum several years ago this lens (first version then) was all the rage. This thread has had little activity since 2012/13, and with few other mentions elsewhere it seemed to have completely fallen off the forum radar.

More recently, the tiny CV 35/2.5 and new CV 35/1.7 have eclipsed their larger 35/1.2 brother in levels of praise. I have noticed this with other lenses. Again, years ago, the CV 50/2.5 and even the CV 28/3.5 received little attention. Now, they are highly regarded. Popularity seems to change with time, but it also seems that some lenses take time to be fully appreciated - or fall from grace.

Steve

I don't have this lens, but did wonder what had happened to its popularity. When I joined the forum several years ago this lens (first version then) was all the rage...

I think simple novelty is a factor. A 35 f1.2 lens was a novel thing when it first appeared and perhaps it just took some time (and the fatigue of carrying a big-ass lens) for people to get over that. When something doesn't exist, then it does, people can't help but gravitate to it.

@Yokusuka Mike - those are some really nice skin tones from the Sony A7II. How are you processing these? What program are you using for the raws? I've seen too many A7 photos with oddly sallow or grey skin tones that these are quite striking.

I don't have this lens, but did wonder what had happened to its popularity. When I joined the forum several years ago this lens (first version then) was all the rage. This thread has had little activity since 2012/13, and with few other mentions elsewhere it seemed to have completely fallen off the forum radar.

More recently, the tiny CV 35/2.5 and new CV 35/1.7 have eclipsed their larger 35/1.2 brother in levels of praise. I have noticed this with other lenses. Again, years ago, the CV 50/2.5 and even the CV 28/3.5 received little attention. Now, they are highly regarded. Popularity seems to change with time, but it also seems that some lenses take time to be fully appreciated - or fall from grace.

Steve

I think that the time has come for Cosina to bring out a set of affordable simple small 50mm f/2 and 35mm f/2 lenses in M-mount, without any distortion, preferably in both black paint and silver chrome versions. The Leica offerings are out of reach of many people now.

Erik.

@Yokusuka Mike - those are some really nice skin tones from the Sony A7II. How are you processing these? What program are you using for the raws? I've seen too many A7 photos with oddly sallow or grey skin tones that these are quite striking.

Hi Archiver, the truth is that all my Sony A7II images are jpegs straight out of the camera. The only post processing I do is to adjust the alignment in the simple photo editor program that I use to view the images.

One thing that I do that might attribute to the skin tones is that I always shoot at the lowest ISO that I can get away with; preferably ISO 50 or 100. I read about cameras that boast of incredibly high ISOs, well coming from a film background I never shoot over ISO 400; it just never occurs to me to go any higher than that. My biggest pet peeve with micro 4/3 cameras is that most don't go below ISO 200.

Anyway, I appreciate your kind comment and I hope my response is helpful.

All the best, Mike

Back