Voigtlander 35mm f2.5 Color-Skopar Differences

Fulv

Local time
1:04 AM
Hello , I'm new to the forum and wanted to ask some advice with regard to the Voigtlander 35mm f2.5 Color-Skopar lens. I have a Canon P and am looking for a good all round 35mm focal length lens. I was recommended the Skopar lens but wanted to ask is there much difference between two L39 versions? Is one better or more reliable than the other? I have attached images to illustrate. I know that one of them is known as the Pancake lens but are there any discernible differences between them that might sway one over buying the other? thanks for any info its much appreciated. And of course if you can recommend any other lenses over these for sharpness then please let me know!

Attachments

• photo116229.jpg
    photo116229.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo116230.jpg
    photo116230.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 0
According to some old literature I have, they are optically identical. I've owned the pancake version, and found that handling and ergonomics were fine despite its compact shape, with no finder intrusion on my Bessa. Sharpness and overall rendering are superb! Be aware that older Voigtlander lenses are somewhat liable to have developed haze in the optical cement, virtually impossible to repair. Check carefully; if the lens is OK now, it will probably remain so.
Overall, I would highly recommend either.

Many thanks for the reply its much appreciated. I believe the only difference is the design. I don't quite understand why they would produce with a pancake appearance and the other with a built in lens hood?! Seems very bizarre. I would favour the one that has a focussing ring similar to the M lenses as they are what I'm used to using. Thanks again for the info. Are there any other L39 lenses you would recommend over these at all?

The Head Bartender also has some additional information about the differences between the two versions. Optically identical as others have noted, but the info page notes that the Voigtlander Color Skopar 35mm f/2.5 P Pancake Type I (on the right in the OP's images) has a:
VERY short throw from close-up to infinity. In this regard, it is faster to focus than its 35/2.5 C brother.

You'll have to scroll down on this page to find the details:
https://cameraquest.com/voigtlen.htm

Another difference:
Strangely the lens shade is sold separately -- unlike any of the other Voigtlander Leica screw mount lenses.

Thanks to all for all the information it's helped me make an informed decision.
I think I'd rather go for the P type for the faster focus, my eyes are not what they used to be :)

Many thanks for the reply its much appreciated. I believe the only difference is the design. I don't quite understand why they would produce with a pancake appearance and the other with a built in lens hood?! Seems very bizarre. I would favour the one that has a focussing ring similar to the M lenses as they are what I'm used to using. Thanks again for the info. Are there any other L39 lenses you would recommend over these at all?

There is the 35/1.7 Ultron, which has become pretty expensive. It is remarkably compact for its speed, and performs very well even wide open. I would not recommend it over the Skopar, unless you may need the extra speed. Both are great lenses!

I have the Classic version of the Color-Skopar lens. I found it flared quite easily when shooting contre-jour. Optically it is fine. It benefited from the dedicated LH-2 hood. My favourite 35mm LTM lens is my Canon 35mm f/2. I have settled down with it to the exclusion of the Skopar.

The C has a little stick to focus with, no ring! I hated it. Some love it. I can tolerate it in the 21mm skopar because I zone focus it, but not with a 35mm.

Doesn't the first pancake version have no focus tab, or "stick" or post? To me, any such device makes for faster focusing than a focus ring without it, no matter whether the focus throw is shorter or longer. I find the older LTM silver model with "stick" and hood to be pretty excellent all around.

Back