http://cameraquest.com/voigtl_bessa_iii.htm

Thanks for looking,
Stephen

Updated Bessa III page up
http://cameraquest.com/voigtl_bessa_iii.htm

Thanks for looking,
Stephen
Three questions not addressed by the updated page:
  • What is the rangefinder's base length?
  • What is the viewfinder magnification?
  • Do the viewfinder frame lines also expand and contract to account for changes in field of view while focusing or do they only shift for parallax?
Thanks in advance for answering,
Sal

Can you say what the first production run will be? I'm curious how many of these Fuji plans to produce. As I've stated before in other forums, there are lots of us like me who would love to buy this camera but can't touch it for anything near the current price.

Fuji is planning a run of 5000 of the 667 (Tokyo price at Yen 218 000). I don't know what the Bessa III production estimate is though - probably similar volume. Obviously there is a pent up demand for a high quality, compact folder. A lot of Plaubel users are looking to the Fuji/Bessa as an upgrade.
Dont know the base length of the finder - will try to figure it out.
The frame lines do not correct for closer or infinity focus as far as I know. They do parallax compensate and of course shift from 6x6 to 6x7 format automatically.
The viewfinder looks pretty damn close to 1:1 or thereabouts. Very bright with a sharp, well defined focussing patch too.

Three questions not addressed by the updated page:
  • What is the rangefinder's base length?
  • What is the viewfinder magnification?
  • Do the viewfinder frame lines also expand and contract to account for changes in field of view while focusing or do they only shift for parallax?
Thanks in advance for answering,
Sal

The specs + some (German site) picture measurements by me (ED), give or take 1 mm.

Technical specifications.

Folding camera with coupled rangefinder
Film choice 120/220 film
6x7 cm (56x69 mm ED)(120-10 exp. / 220-20 exp.)
6x6 cm (56x56 mm ED)(120-12 exp. / 220-24 exp.)
Switch for frame sizes inside the body (ED)
80 mm/f3.5 (4 groups 6 elements)
7 rounded aperture blades (ED)
Close focus is 0.9 m, 3' (CK)
Bright frame-type viewfinder.
Physical rangefinder base 37 mm (ED)
Automatic parallax compensation
Integral LED exposure metering indications
Electronically controlled lens shutter. 4-1/500 sec, B
Exposure control: SPD Sensor
Center-weighted averaging system
Aperture priority AE and manual switchover
Exposure compensation approx 2EV in 1/3EV steps
Film speed: Manual setting, ISO25-3200 (1/3EV step accuracy)
Manual film wind by winding knob
Mechanical-type counter
120/220 (changeable)
6x7/6x6 (changeable)
CR2 (3v) lithium battery
Outer dimensions: 178x109x63 mm folded (ED)
and 178x109x138 mm unfolded (BJoPh)
Weight 1KG (BJoPh)

The rangefinder is in my opinion basically the one of the 35mm Bessas. While brightness and magnification will adjust for the MF size-80mm standard lens the most interesting detail will be how accurate the rangefinder coupling is on this folder. On some older folders it has been good and on other folders lousy. All kinds of designs were used to get good rangefinder precision combined with the folding construction. Mamiya Six film shift, Zeiss ikon optical wedges, Plaubel and Polaroid strut coupling, Agfa + Iskra coupled helix construction that is used in the Bessa III too. Wonder whether there is a Bendix cable used that can be adjusted for wear in time.

Ernst Dinkla

The lens area (shutter, focusing and aperture adjustments) looks very similar to the older Fuji GS645, which seems very solid and I have had no problems with focusing accurately. I hope the Bessa III will be even better.

Can you say what the first production run will be? I'm curious how many of these Fuji plans to produce. As I've stated before in other forums, there are lots of us like me who would love to buy this camera but can't touch it for anything near the current price.

Which brings the obvious question: why isn't the price lower? Isn't it clear Fuji would make more money that way?

Just got mine today.....very excited.

Sal:
What is the rangefinder's base length? 37mm (effective bl 25.9mm) Auto parallax correction
What is the viewfinder magnification? x0.7
Do the viewfinder frame lines also expand and contract to account for changes in field of view while focusing or do they only shift for parallax? yes frame lines (left side and top ) expand and contract with focus in field of view

Last edited:
Just got mine today.....very excited.

Sal:
What is the rangefinder's base length? 37mm (effective bl 25.9mm) Auto parallax correction
What is the viewfinder magnification? x0.7
Do the viewfinder frame lines also expand and contract to account for changes in field of view while focusing or do they only shift for parallax? yes frame lines (left side and top ) expand and contract with focus in field of view
Thanks very much for the follow up. Here are a few more "assignments" for you. :)
  • Shoot a series wide open with the rangefinder focused on targets at varying distances, preferable halfway down a yardstick pointed away from the camera. This will reveal how accurately that base length + viewfinder magnification + mechanism precision focus the lens.
  • Make photographs at varying distances with the camera on a tripod so you can sketch out the exact scene edges covered by viewfinder frame lines. Compare resulting negatives/transparencies with your sketches to establish framing accuracy.
  • Determine whether, ensuring focus is set to infinity, one can non-destructively close the camera with a filter attached to the lens. Note that B+W offers "slim" filters if needed.
Thank you for continuing to ferret out details. Perhaps, after doing all this, you can write and have published a review of the camera.

It is now minutes from June 30.

Is this camera available yet?

Voigtlander Bessa III for USA Update 2nd Shipment August
My SECOND Bessa III shipment will start shipping from CameraQuest on or about August 3rd. It should be large enough fulfill all my orders for those who have Bessa III deposits!

If you have a Bessa III deposit, please pay your balance now so your camera can be shipped as soon as possible! For those wishing to get in line for future shipments -- which should not be that far away -- I'm taking $100 refundable Paypal deposits to [email protected] , or checks or credit card.

I'm taking $100 refundable deposits via Paypal to [email protected] for those wishing to get in line for the new Bessa III.

Thanks,

Stephen

Thanks for looking,

Stephen

Sal,

eddale on this forum has already shot a bunch.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eddale/sets/72157621359684043/

It will take me 3 weeks to get back from my whirl wind tour in the NE which begins this Friday. I will put up plenty of examples when I get back.

-T
Thanks for the link and enjoy your tour. While eddale's photos are interesting, they don't provide the information your "assignement" will. No rush; we can all wait until it's convenient for you. ;)

Back