Voigtlander Color Skopar 35mm f/2.5 C focus ring marking misalignment

Local time
10:42 PM
Hi all! I've recently purchased a Voigtlander Color Skopar 35mm f/2.5 C but unfortunately the focus ring marking (the circle) does not line up perfectly with the infinity symbol or the minimum focus distance marking of 0.7. Have any of you experienced something similar? Will this affect the functionality of the lens? Is there any way to fix this?

IMG_20220331_003938.jpg
IMG_20220331_003954.jpg

I think you may be expecting too much, but a test roll for peace of mind wouldn't hurt.
A quick look at my Voigtlander and Leica lenses shows that there is a variation of where the infinity symbol stops, from the middle of the first "oval", like you show, to the middle of the second "oval".
Interestingly, my Nikon Ai SLR lenses all stops exactly in the middle of the infinity symbol.

I doubt this would be a big problem except maybe at the closest focus distance, particularly with a 35mm or wider.
If the rangefinder image match with the distance settings at both ends of the focus throw, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I doubt this would be a big problem except maybe at the closest focus distance, particularly with a 35mm or wider.
If the rangefinder image match with the distance settings at both ends of the focus throw, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Apologies if my question sounds stupid but how exactly do it check if the rangefinder image matches with the distance settings at both ends of the focus throw?

Take one picture at same focal distance by RF focusing and second by distance scale focusing (use ruler to measure close distance correctly). Most likely it will show no difference on infinity.
But on close distance, if you will focus on good focus checking target (has to be used properly) it might show some difference.

I have similar type 21 CV CS with me on camera today and closest distance is less of than on yours, infinity is spot on middle on focus dot.
It could be how your copy was made or it could be wrongly re-assembled focus helicoid. If wrong reassembly your photos are going to be very OOF (I have done it :) )

I have a few lenses whose markings don’t perfectly line up at the center of the infinity symbol but all are fine when focused using the rangefinder.

If you have a mirrorless camera with an adapter ring, you could check the accuracy of the lens markings.

Back