Voigtlander M-FE adapter any good?

Avotius

Some guy
Local time
5:21 AM
I know the probable answer to this but I want to make sure from the people who know.

Is the Voigtlander M-FE adapter any good? I bought a 20 dollar adapter on Amazon just to try and it was horrifically bad, so I sent it back and am just going to do it right and get a good one.

Thank you!

The VM-E nah adapter with the integrated close-up helical is excellent, but it is by far the most expensive of them all. I suspect that their plain (non helical one) is as good, mechanically. But at 2/3 the price of the VM-E nah, without its added value, and more than three times the price of the (perfectly adequate) Fotodiox I never even bothered to try it...

Hi Colin - as you found out the hard way, the cheapo ones are hit or miss.

First question you have to ask yourself is if you need the focusing helicoid to further minimize the MFD. If you do, look into:

- Hawk adapter - the first one (that I know of) in the market; now in its third generation. 3mm extension. Available on ebay.

- Voigtlander - excellent build, but more expensive. 4mm extension

- Shoten - new kid on the block but good reviews. 6mm extension. Sbout the same price as the Hawk. Available on ebay.

If you go on ebay, be wary of the Hawk/Shoten copies -- they are NOT even close to the same quality.

If you do NOT need to reduce the MFD, then the typical 'branded' choices are: Metabones, Fotodiox and Metabones (expensive).

Good luck! And have fun with your new A7R!!!

I'm returning the close focus Voigtländer today and switching to a "plain" one - the button that locks the close focus ring is way too fiddly.

Back