Voigtlander Ultron 28mm f/2 ASPH VM

keytarjunkie

no longer addicted
Local time
9:58 PM
Update: Announced by Cosina, $899.00 USD list price for all three lenses. CameraQuest Preorder

WqGgbKf.jpg

------------------------------

Not to be accused of slowing down, Cosina is rumored to be pushing out yet another lens. Finally, an update to the great but slightly tired 28mm f/2 Ultron. 28mm users everywhere can rejoice.

There will be two versions of the new lens. Presumably similar to the two barrel options of the 35/2 Ultron, but this isn't confirmed yet, and seems a bit surprising that they're continuing both these barrel designs. Anyway, it's great news! Maybe I should pick up a M-mount camera again...

Amazing piece of news. I have been sorely missing my 28mm cron II while using and loving my Elmarit III. Might just get this new one to pair with the elmarit since I cannot justify getting so many expensive 28mm lenses! :)

It's not dead, the forum just assumes nokish-i-ta contains a swear word, so it replaces the characters with ****. Sorry, nothing I can do about it.

Yeah. The world would fall apart if I ever read a four-letter-word. I'm so grateful for the protection.

Anyway. The current 28mm (now discontinued apparently) is really nice on film - a little big perhaps, but then it is F2.0.
Any reason to recompute? Is it bad on digital?
Smaller would of course be nicer.

Take the hood off, the ultron is notvreally that big, it is f2. If you want smal. You need to look at f2.8 or f3.5. My Zeiss ZF 28mm F2 is waaaaay bigger than my ultron. The ultron is OK, but if you used to Leica or ZM glass it is not at that level. I bet the new Apo will be :D

it would seem that a more coherent path might work in Cosina's favor.
Two 35mm lenses with two different goals in mind would have been far more compelling (and appeal to those inclined to buy both) as complementary lenses. A tiny 3,5/35 rather than a re-cloaked ƒ/2 would have been very appealing to buyers of the APO.

A 28 ƒ/2 APO plus an ƒ/4 pancake, similar or smaller in size than the venerable ƒ/3,5 (already pretty damned tiny)?

This isn't an APO lens, just normal ASPH.

The images have leaked, and it looks like they just stretched the 35/2 Ultron in photoshop! I like the consistency. Same Version I/II barrels as previously seen. (I wonder if we'll get a Version II barrel of the 21/3.5 soon.)

Voigtlander-ULTRON-Vintage-Line-28mm-f2-Aspherical-lenses-for-Leica-M-mount-1.jpeg
Voigtlander-ULTRON-Vintage-Line-28mm-f2-Aspherical-lenses-for-Leica-M-mount-3.jpeg
Voigtlander-ULTRON-Vintage-Line-28mm-f2-Aspherical-lenses-for-Leica-M-mount-2.jpeg

Are type II supposed to be made from brass?

Type II is 230gr and Type I is 190gr and obviously made from a different material.

The now discontinued version was 244gr which seems to be very heavy if it was made from the usual aluminium alloy.

With this they will render Leica 2/2.8 lenses as overpriced just for label lenses.
Cosina is next to only company on the market which keeps making new true RF lenses. Not just oversized, blocking RF junk.

...let's also add to the list the 35 Summicron ASPH non-APO. All of them 20+ year-old designs mildly adjusted for digital and overpriced to the stratosphere.

They've ceded the market for rationally priced Barnack-sized lenses to others and happily, Cosina is running with it.

Back