Voigtlander vintage filter codes and thin filters for folders

stevierose

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Local time
4:58 AM
Hello
I own an Agfa Super Isolette. It takes 29.5mm screw in filters and 32mm push on filters. I have seen a number of Voigtlander filters for sale that have descriptive code/nomenclature that I am not familiar with. As an example there are G 1, G 1.5, and G 2 filters which appear to be different yellow filters. Can anyone explain their system to me or direct me to a site that will explain it? I mainly only use yellow, orange or red filters so would like to know the codes for those filters.

Also, I understand that someone made very thin 29.5mm filters that allowed the camera to fold up with them on which would be very convenient. Who made these and what were they called?

Thanks!

Steve Rosenblum
Ann Arbor, Michigan

G 1, 1.5, 2 are yellowish-green contrast filters for B&W landscape (mostly) work. Each number denotes a different strength. Nothing to do with size.

I think the G stands for Gelb (= yellow in German), and usually Gr would be Grün (= green in German).

I have always struggled to find a good list of Voigtländer filter designations but just did some searching and found a really comprehensive catalogue containing many of the numerical designations that Voigtländer use here: https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/01002/01002.pdf

32mm slip on filters are listed on page 32.

Last edited:
I should think that the numbers behind G are the number of steps you need to compensate for, so for G2 you have to open up 2 steps. G is yellow, GR is green and GGR is yellow-green. The filters that will allow you to close the folder does not have threads on the outside.

I use Kodak Retina filters on my Super Isolette. They are very thin but I've not tried closing the door with them attached. Not a risk I'm willing to take. I also use 37mm filters with a single step up ring. Larger filters (ie 49mm of which i have plenty) get in the way of accessing the EV decoupling pin.

Back