Voigtlander Vitessa L

Phil,
you could definitely get a Vitessa working again. They are not getting any cheaper but plenty of clean ones needing some shutter service or TLC still present online. One great point is that the leather Voigtländer used for their bellows must have been just about the best ever. I suppose you can always be unlucky—but light leaks and bellows replacement is unlikely. I recommend an earlier version with the larger top cover hole and fixed plunger button/knob for the reasons I have outlined above. Just a little safer as it's less likely somebody will have damaged the plunger by trying to get the knob off. The real early ones did not have strap lugs, meaning never ready case or tripod fitting strap only. But models with the Ultron lens, strap lugs and the easy to remove top cover were made and as a bonus did not use the EV coupling either. It's a personal thing but that's my preference.

The reasons to use a Vitessa today are they're so pretty and have unique features. And that Ultron lens is something really special.
Cheers
Brett

Yeah, I suppose one day I'll get another one, Brett. It's just not on the radar at the moment.

PF

I want to clean my Vitessa down there.. (hmm) ..

but I'm unsure about which screws are holding the cover. I would assume it is the 4 screws in the corners closest to the edge. Can anyone confirm this?

vitessa-bottom-cover.jpg

vitessa-bottom-screw.jpg

I would suggest you leave the bottom alone! If you remove the bottom plate, all sorts of bad things happen! I had to do it to get access to the broken shaft pictured above, but if you are just cleaning, try lots of swabs and cleaner without removing that plate!

The shutter release is ingenious; a hollow tube with 8 tiny ball bearings that allows the downward pressure of the shutter release rod to turn a 45 degree corner without linkages, but it is hairy to get back in place!

If you don't have to, just... don't.

I would suggest you leave the bottom alone!
If you don't have to, just... don't.

I think I have to! When the doors are closed and the plunger is down, the shutter release can't be pressed to open the camera and release the plunger like the manual describes. So I think there must be something sticking behind that bottom plate, and needs to be cleaned. And I don't feel safe using the camera like it is now.

It think Sarcophilus Harrisii (Brett Rogers) someplace here suggested that it is safe to remove the bottom plate, provided one holds the camera upright?

Just in the final stages of scanning my first roll through the Vitessa. The results from the Color Skopar are very good and sharp enough, but with a bit of post sharpening they are very pleasing. A nice, contrasty and pretty rendering lens. I find the focus patch a bit tough on my old eyes, so missed a few exact focus points on wide open, but stopped down it's not a problem.

It's a charming if idiosyncratic camera, got a lot of attention when out, but I'm really not a fan of the old EV linked sharp teeth exposure system.

Ted

tedm-1-of-1.jpg

Defunct Bruce's defunct tractor

tractorbruce-1-of-1.jpg

Both shot on TMY400 2 at 200, Perceptol 1:2 for 10 minutes

I just got a Vitessa L with Skopar 2.8, a companion for my Vitomatic II. Everything seems to work, except the plunger did not want to stay down when the camera was closed. I read some threads and someone suggested dripping alcohol down the plunger run and another noted it's good to slowly depress the plunger and listen for a faint click, then hold for a few seconds. Those two together seemed to do the trick and now it stays if I don't press it in right to the bottom and slowly ease up on the pressure when releasing it. Looking forward to the first roll.

48426981341_3e2e3f57cc_c.jpg
[/url]Voigtlander Vitessa L by Howard Sandler, on Flickr[/IMG]

Back