Voigtlander Vito depth of field markings

Ste_S

Well-known
Local time
6:09 PM
I have a Vito II and a B and the depth of field markings seem out of kilter with what should be expected for a 50mm lens.

For example, If I focus at 15ft on the Vito B, the depth of field markings for f11 say I should be good from 8ft to Infinity.
Looking on a depth of field chart however, and it says 15ft, f11, 50mm lens and I'm only good from 9ft to 40ft.

Are the markings on the lens just not very accurate ? Or is the 50mm Color Skopar on the Vito's not a true 50mm ?

On a scale focus camera, I generally try to guess the distance to my subject and set the focus accordingly. Being able to use an aperture of f/8 or f/11 helps.

My understanding is that the depth of field scale assumes that an "acceptable sharpness" will be achieved when the photo was printed on what was considered a normal sized print. With that said, it doesn't hurt to make an error on the conservative side - i.e. use the f/5.6 or f/8 scale lines when the actual aperture is set to f/11.

If the image is to be cropped or enlarged beyond the size of what was considered a normal sized print - then the depth of field markings on the lens barrel need to be looked at with a conservative eye.

The Vito II does have a circle on the lens distance scale between 20 and 60 foot markings for capturing both the nearby trees or buildings and far away mountains in the background. That circle should make a good position for setting the hyperfocal distance. Notice that that circle is much closer to the 60 foot mark than to the 20 foot mark. Note also that when the focus is set to the circle, the infinity mark is well within the f/5.6 scale focusing lines.

Closer in there is the snap shot focus mark between 10 and 12 feet. It's a diamond.

My understanding is that the depth of field scale assumes that an "acceptable sharpness" will be achieved when the photo was printed on what was considered a normal sized print

Thanks, that kinda explains it. Have notice it on other cameras also - the depth of field markings on a Nettar 75mm for example seem somewhat generous !

Your suggestion for using the dof markings for a stop down when I want ensure sharpness makes sense.

Back