Voigtlander Vito II - takeup spool?

Jerevan

Recycled User
Local time
9:38 PM
How does the takeup spool on a Voigtlander Vito II look like?

I can't load any film in my newly acquired one - there is no way to fasten the leader. Possibly broken, I suppose.

I don't have a ii, but I have a Ia and a BL. On both of these there is a smooth, thick take-up spool that has a slot in it to take the leader.

Have you downloaded the manual from the Butkus site? That should have diagrams explaining film loading.

See also here:
http://mikeeckman.com/photovintage/vintagecameras/vito/index.html

Someone asked me quite a while ago how he might acquire a take-up spool for a Vito II. I didn't know what to make of the question then because my first Vito had a fixed-in-place spool. One of my recently acquired cameras however, had no spool. The advance knob just has a forked shaft that looks the same as the supply side. To run my first roll of film through the camera, I inserted a plastic spool which I borrowed from a Contaflex, and that seemed to work fine. I was tempted to take the fixed spool mechanism from my first camera to put in the newer one as it will easily fit, but I decided that repairing something not broken was likely not a good idea. I did steal the rewind knob off my older Vito for use on one of the new ones which lacked it, and I also replaced a missing light seal on the back at the hinge.

I don't have a II either, but I have a I. Early, pre-WWII version. The takeup spool has just a tiny slot to attach the film. The slot is narrower than the narrow part on the leader of modern films, so I have to trim it to fit. There's also a lot of old, dried tape residue on the spool, so I think a lot of people have just taped the film onto it!

Thanks for the answers, gentlemen!

I am going to trim the leader, a bit like the Leica ABLON (the arrow-like part that one inserts into the FILCAs) and see if that solves the issue. There is nothing in the manual, as far as I can see.

EDIT: Trimming the leader into an arrow-like shape with the ABLON (or freehand works too, I guess) did the trick. :)

Back