Voigtlander Vitomatic IIa - with 50mm Ultron - is a keeper

Solinar

Analog Preferred
Local time
4:22 AM
Back in the Fall of 2019, my long cherished Olypmus 35 RD, fixed-lens 35mm rangefinder camera needed to go to the repair shop for the 4th time in many years of ownership. I chose to replace it rather than send it off again. The 35 RD is a gem in theory, if you use it in its focus and shoot mode, but when the camera gets up in years...............

Anyway, my quest for a replacement led me backwards in time by about a decade. Courtesy of ebay.deutschland - at a reasonable price - this magnifcent Voigtlander Vitomatic IIa fitter with a 50mm Ultron arrived on my door step at the end of January of 2020.

Voigtlander Vitomatc IIa with an Ultron lens by Andrew Yue, on Flickr

This Vitomatic IIa from 1962 has both the looks and modus operandi of a late 1950'ies German fixed-lens rangefinder camera. With regards to matic in the Vitomatic name, it refers to a coupled, match needle selenium light meter. The meter needle is visible at both the top of the camera and in the viewfinder. While selenium meters have an iffy reputation, this one still works well. One final note, the above photo shows the front of the meter with its easy to misplace, incident measurement attachment.

When opening the rear of the camera to load film, the user should see bits and pieces, (to include the pop up knob rewind), that are carried over from a 1956 Voigtlander Vito B. Hence, the "Vito" in the Vitomatic name.

VmaticRearSize by Andrew Yue, on Flickr

The first two Vitomatics were introduced in 1958. An upscale version of the IIa with the more expensive 50mm, f/2 Utron lens was released around 1962. The final models, that utilized a CdS based meter would be released in 1967. Nearly all the Vitomatics were fitted with the Tessar-like 50mm, f/2.8 Skopar lens, which in my opinion punches far above its weight.

One issue with the Vitomatic is its weight. It may be a bit more compact than its Japanese counter parts of the period, but it feels like a cast iron ingot in the hand.

When viewing the second photo, note the size of the camera body and the behind-the-lens leaf shutter. There is also a large geared wheel above the film gate that is noticeable. The geared wheel tensions the shutter spring as the film is advanced to the next frame. On a Vitomatic, the shutter will not operate unless there is a loaded roll of film in the camera.

Some Photos Taken with the Vitomatic IIa

Some Photos Taken with the Vitomatic IIa

Monuments: Stephen F Austin, rest in peace.

StephenF by Andrew Yue, on Flickr - Tri-X 400 souped in HC110, dilution H.

Monuments - to our Real Estate and Tech bubble in Austin, Texas.

AustinRRBridge by Andrew Yue, on Flickr - Same film, same camera

Monuments: J. Frank Dobie - (look him up)

JFrankDobie by Andrew Yue, on Flickr - Ditto

Well, consider me educated, because I've never seen that incident meter doodad before.

I wrote this back rather a long time ago, sadly before Photof*cket screwed up everyone's images: https://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/threads/voigtländer-vitomatic-iia.114174/

Adrian, thanks for the link to your write-up on the Vitomatic IIa. Upon reading it, I was reminded of why I've grown rather fond of this camera. Voigtlander utilized an over engineered 1:1 viewfinder. The generous sized viewfinder is an absolute pleasure for my dodgy old eyes. There is no need to remove my eyeglasses, as I often do on some of my other older cameras.

By the way, Lord Google doesn't direct a Vitomatic IIa search to your write up in Amateur Photographer - which why I haven't read it before. Google does suggest Mike Eckman's excellent write up - which I probable should have read prior to typing all of the above.

https://www.mikeeckman.com/2017/05/voigtlander-vitomatic-iia-1960/

Thank you for the kind words, Andrew!

I love that huge viewfinder too - Voigtlander generally seem to have had a handle on what is now called ergonomics early on - I have some 1930s German cameras with shutter releases that appear to have been entries for the Most Appallingly Placed Shutter Release 1937, but my Bessa of the same decade has a neat little release that pops out when you unfold and is a joy to use. It wasn;'t always so - my two Vito IIs have quite squinty viewfinders - but the later Vito series with the huge finders are a joy to use.

It's a pity other companies didn't catch on - my day to day camera is a Nikon D200, and the viewfinder is rubbish compared to the Vitomatic. The worse thing is the focus indicator light that you have to take your eye off the subject to find!

Back