Leica LTM VOOLA replica - of interest to people who like using Elmars with filters & hoods

Leica M39 screw mount bodies/lenses

Filzkoeter

stray animal
Local time
9:44 PM
Hi RFF folks! It's been a long time since I've written something here... but well, I'm back at shooting film with Leicas again :rolleyes:

I'm awaiting an Elmar and FISON hood at the moment and I've recently found out about that small aperture setting ring of the name VOOLA which enables to change the aperture with push-on filters & hoods on. Well it turns out that those rings seem to be made of pure gold or something, as they're expensive as hell for what they are. But since I have a bit of experience with 3D programs and also a 3D printer: why not make one yourself?

I took a couple of photos I found online and tried to replicate the VOOLA as close as possible without ever seeing one myself.
Its a first prototype to check how sturdy it is, there will probably be a couple of things I'll have to change to the 3D model as I don't have an Elmar at the moment to take some measurements. This one is printed from PLA and seems sturdy enough with a thickness of 1.5mm. (Who has a genuine VOOLA and can tell me how thick the ring is?)

I'll keep this thread updated as soon as I'll continue working on this 3D printed VOOLA. I guess either printed from some metallic silver looking filament or spray-painted this will pretty much also look like the real deal. My plan is releasing it to thingiverse so everybody who is interested and has the means can print one themselves. For those who don't have access to 3D printing but want one, I guess I could make a couple of those, let's see how this project will go.

Attachments

• 20201104_164609.jpg
    20201104_164609.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 14
A bit stronger then ABS for example but less heat resistant & also more brittle. If you take and try to bend it, it will break. But this is not the heat one keeps lenses normally in and not forces applied to such a ring ;) I have small cosmetic 3D printed PLA parts on my motorcycle and they hold up since over a year.
But I will maybe try printing one out in ABS to compare them (unfortunately I don't have experience printing ABS? Its supposed to be more difficult without deforming and adhering to the printing bed then PLA)

sounds interesting. Will be following. Unfortunately, I do not have a VOOLA to augment your experiment.

Great keep us posted. When you get an Elmar 50mm 3D a hood to go with it.

There is already one on thingiverse (search for "FISON inspired lens hood for Industar (and Elmar?)") but it's rather very basic. I actually tought about replicating a FISON-like hood in 3D, complete with the possibility for a set screw, should not really be that complicated :D

Umm got a VALOO attached to the Elmar in the Leica IIIF next to me. I Suppose that would be complicated to replicate/print on 3D.

pxXoPFQthh1yLnGSLMGfqVdMdoQ1zdlrkTgJtSv1JgGWaNVXypnbIwnwqG5VHL7S4PAnuo4dcmK4mRpwXQNutfii5pBmL6ggARUL1S8TsP_JMx22ZbfLofoydsPQ6CXUSI6s4efuneRU6EJpVrK2WI8eUY8630bdFnZvSHPdTEaRV4eRPw4xQ-xCY1PscQVdSnMpkEugBp5XI0njy_QZAOCjAWyCpdqZ8IwEPfMDSLp5MFlf8AFkLZCB-64gSgVxchRUp42zkLyM0qOUKr6CCQsi6K8oyq9C2nkrLX3NzWDNhKsxrjfs1_YfeTx_doiJ9xGJxRuSI8dAWcn8GgKnffGE51WpFZOIKfmIuoSQBcIpfe532Iyxd3jQr8Ntdpk5HR0vQgQ_95J84VCz-2W8R0Sdm-SHgBv_3GxtiDErFiPNUepH0RN6xK6v7SUghsa0AIQT-NdmKzOqc1RFGwd3CGg3UskHsQDv-Y-vtZhIXullrj-iGzgiO4-DJNo0bqY1R-d1GuDw3vRDa02uRWDIrzOoOK2nYHaDJ7LSgCoSbAzh9piDv-pstp1iUuF1lWDooVyD8KLJNUlO-hg_xx0CrOvkuPYxr5GwqRjbzdCITa_RI0qP67HrPt8C_LCB4n1oazNfkeXqlU8sqA9j_UrA_hWctAUm-LBmj9O85RijGpHgaQlxNEnP7w=w1406-h937-no

tqtIwzHnrv9DeZ1wgj7Wj1ciy8vIZ5d8Rmr7z3A8_D5hAJlAorfDUlvmmfv5hoLOe6PBdasLBn33BYEwLX4eG65YjPIsCDk57SfknIkHf7MnlV0G7fjSSDID6ZBTPQdrMdSwH_WdO0g3wqSuxbzssNwgrRKQAjnVQCyztYd0n6rhqCCc9SHjjde6IqZwz-LO2YSEktWZ-mDux_MkiB3JmkeaGrPvTLZFv3JZyzMmssL-SoofD09LyJ0ACvwXTE1s0XyfRM8GYuIIK2Kw-4kMM96vNRvWTIUsMZeQByoFb8uVJK3GLkXuzt1YvigTGisrV1cyEjUt2ytZVyHqvg1vizXohSSznSGXtXD3UtpP8gCh5DTvmpS1EXSDS6t0M0s-YMwknH0b0HWgyEYG-N1rZ8yJfAOGrXrqJ5cuGDazomnfHb7_rUM1GZm76NqfS9M2uBSa4JPKYtQHy4Dx2C-ElE-YXGuEFuIFLachiiahPYViTWIhs7RkdKHJZAf32o9xNu-bt-zDzDDxPPgh5Vfl1uTMyujOaj8uDeLAX782jDG8-TfeG38SOb7MXA4iBJRz85AL45WGRcpJMrKAO5QBk37B_mCeDSxVWEVj-jOsevpafqZljFnbKKqF5mpgCOlb4lx_bsVoPIhu8Ph_0WZRpo1MrgmLfG19IOQJDVvByiohktWRlbYjJQ=w1406-h937-no

The metal of the VOOLA is .745mm thick, but the two prongs are not in the same plane as the outer ring, there are two bends in those. Base of the outer ring to the outer flat surface of the two prongs is 1.065mm. It needs to be made this way, in two planes, so that the outer ring doesn’t scratch the front surface of the elmar as you adjust the aperture settings, time and again over time.
It would probably be easier and cheaper for someone with an hourly wage to just to earn the money to buy a real one, though what’s the fun in that.

...It would probably be easier and cheaper for someone with an hourly wage to just to earn the money to buy a real one, though what’s the fun in that.

Exactly, the fun is all the fiddling around with the older ones instead of just looking through the VF and letting the camera's CPU do the work. You don't buy old ones just to take photographs.

Regards, David

Hi RFF folks! It's been a long time since I've written something here... but well, I'm back at shooting film with Leicas again :rolleyes:

I'm awaiting an Elmar and FISON hood at the moment and I've recently found out about that small aperture setting ring of the name VOOLA which enables to change the aperture with push-on filters & hoods on. Well it turns out that those rings seem to be made of pure gold or something, as they're expensive as hell for what they are. But since I have a bit of experience with 3D programs and also a 3D printer: why not make one yourself?

I took a couple of photos I found online and tried to replicate the VOOLA as close as possible without ever seeing one myself.
Its a first prototype to check how sturdy it is, there will probably be a couple of things I'll have to change to the 3D model as I don't have an Elmar at the moment to take some measurements. This one is printed from PLA and seems sturdy enough with a thickness of 1.5mm. (Who has a genuine VOOLA and can tell me how thick the ring is?)

I'll keep this thread updated as soon as I'll continue working on this 3D printed VOOLA. I guess either printed from some metallic silver looking filament or spray-painted this will pretty much also look like the real deal. My plan is releasing it to thingiverse so everybody who is interested and has the means can print one themselves. For those who don't have access to 3D printing but want one, I guess I could make a couple of those, let's see how this project will go.

I’m only finding this thread now but I have to say, I’m definitely interested :) any progress so far on creating a VOOLA (or something similar to one?)

I wonder did you ever wind up making a VOOLA with any success.. I would be a buyer for sure..

Back