W/NW Hipshots (Plus a Poll)

W/NW Hip Shots (Plus a Poll)

• 50mm

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • 35mm

Votes: 21 56.8%
  • 28mm

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Go wide or go home. It's wider than 28mm for me.

Votes: 6 16.2%

• Total voters

Rafael

Mandlerian
Local time
9:29 AM
Let's see some of your favourite hip shots. And while you're posting them, let us know what lens you prefer to use for your hip shots. Personally, I like to use a 50mm. Anything wider requires that I get too close (in my opinion) to my subject.

Attachments

• couple.jpg
    couple.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
From my Canonet QL17. I like 35 or 40mm lenses for hip shots. You need to get in close...

Attachments

• 17186_28.jpg
    17186_28.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 0
35mm or 28mm. No wider and going longer (50mm) is too tough for me right now. I'm not that accomplished, yet. BTW, I consider a hip shot any shot made without looking through the vf.

The color image was made about waist-high. The b&w I made with my arm extended above my head and the camera pointing downward.

:)

65685171.QlLDWAvn.street0655adj1.jpg

65685167.OrOm7B9D.street0646adj1.jpg

Attachments

• street0655 adj2.jpg
    street0655 adj2.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 0
  • street0646 adj1.jpg
    street0646 adj1.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I don't have too many hip shots so I appologize for the re-post:

62072448.jpg

Leica M3 and Summicron 50

I posted this one in another thread yesterday, but it is a hip shot that I just took last weekend and I don't have many either. It's taken with a 35 which I like since it gives greater dof. I, too, am still learning the art of "shooting blind." But it is fun to do on the city streets. Rich, I like all the different expressions in your shot. And Ray, I like that high overhead shot - nice work!

-Randy

Attachments

• 9-5-2006-35.jpg
    9-5-2006-35.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 0
first with a 50 summitar:

two-bucks.jpg

oly 35/2.8 mjuII
escalator_gals.jpg

28/1.9 ultron
U22108I1249440573.SEQ.0.jpg

40/2 rokkor
man-in-the-middle.jpg

todd

These would be my two most "accomplished" hip shots

213302922_89476231f8.jpg

213299286_643eb10f04.jpg

I have one or two more, Ill scan them later for ya.
And does anyone else find it a lot easier shooting from the hipp vertiacally?
Wether its with slr or prefocussing I always get better composition and straightness shooting portrait

Here's one I had posted in a critique thread recently. Sorry for the double post, I don't have other scans on my laptop at the moment and it's one of my best hip shots so far I think (which might tell you something about how bad all the others must have been):

attachment.php

I took this with a Bessa R and the Skopar 35/2.5, I think at about f/11, but much of the sharpness gets lost to motion blur, of course :)

Philipp

RayPA said:
BTW, I consider a hip shot any shot made without looking through the vf.

I fully agree. (I hope you don't mind me doing this) If anyone is interested, Ray has a very useful discussion of hip shots on his blog.

Great shots so far guys. Keep them coming!

for some reason I have a fairly high success rate with hip shots.. here's my most recent example

Attachments

• hipster.jpg
    hipster.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 0
I have done some of this type of shooting when necessary. To borrow a phrase from archery (one of my other passions) I prefer to call this type of shooting instinctive. Shooting with out using the view finder, whether the camera is at arm's length, on your hip, at your side, mid-thigh, or resting on a table these shots are taken when you "feel" it is right to press the shutter.

Having said this, I prefer using this type of shooting for children as the camera position is slightly above them, but more on their level. I do not like using "hip" shots of adults mainly because of the unflattering view of looking straight up their nostrils. I suppose it is ok if you are doing a survey of who has nose hair and who doesn't.

Here are my examples shot with Rollei 35S with 40mm f2.8 Sonnar:

FarmersMarket2.jpg

Malt.jpg

Wayne

I've done very few hip shots. Here's one I took with my Canonet (40mm) at the end of an RFF meet-up in Madison, Wisconsin.

Attachments

• ash.jpg
    ash.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 0
I wish I could go up to the city more often - these were from a year ago using an Oly 35 RC. I've been using that or 35mm. One of these days I need to try and rescan these.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
just scanned today. shot from the hip, cos carriage driver / daddy was watchin me

Attachments

• kid cleaning up horse shit off road.jpg
    kid cleaning up horse shit off road.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 0
Shot from the hip a few weeks back. Fed-2, Fed collapsible 50mm

Pretty much testament to the phrase 'Multicultural Nation'

Attachments

• Untitled-6india_sm.jpg
    Untitled-6india_sm.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 0
Back