W/NW - LLL 35mm 8-Element Image Thread

Bill Blackwell

Leica M Shooter
Local time
6:12 PM
I picked up this lens about 6-months ago and have been using it sparingly. It's better in some ways than I expected, but worse in others. It's sharp enough, but tends to vignette quite dramatically when coded as a v.3 Summicron; coded as a v.1 Summilux it responds better in this respect.

Post your results and feel free to post comparisons with other 35mm lenses.

L1002346CBW copy.jpgL1002357BW copy.jpg
L1002358BW copy.jpg
L1002353 copy.jpgL1002352 copy.jpg
Leica M10-P
LLL 35mm 8-Element - coded as a v.1 Summilux

I’m sure there has been a lot written on this lens but do you think it’s a faithful reproduction of the Leitz 8 element or ok approximation or just an approximation in name only? My primary 35 is an 8 element v1 that I really like but it’s not perfect and never expected it to be. Its flaws are part of its beauty imo. Have you had an opportunity to shoot both side by side or see a comparison? I have no interest in parting with my v1, just curious. I see they’re also making a copy of the Elcan 50 I think and curious if their lenses are truly faithful reproductions.

I’m sure there has been a lot written on this lens but do you think it’s a faithful reproduction of the Leitz 8 element or ok approximation or just an approximation in name only? My primary 35 is an 8 element v1 that I really like but it’s not perfect and never expected it to be. Its flaws are part of its beauty imo. Have you had an opportunity to shoot both side by side or see a comparison? I have no interest in parting with my v1, just curious. I see they’re also making a copy of the Elcan 50 I think and curious if their lenses are truly faithful reproductions.
I started this thread because I couldn't find one solely dedicated to this lens. I was also curious to see if anyone would post some side-by-sides with the "real thing." The only other 35mm lens I currently own is the Zeiss Distagon, which is nearly perfect.

One thing I have been noticing is that I've not been getting the dramatic blue skies Raid seamed to be getting with his copy.

I started this thread because I couldn't find one solely dedicated to this lens. I was also curious to see if anyone would post some side-by-sides with the "real thing." The only other 35mm lens I currently own is the Zeiss Distagon, which is nearly perfect.

One thing I have been noticing is that I've not been getting the dramatic blue skies Raid seamed to be getting with his copy.
Appreciate your comments.

I owned a V4 for many years and currently have a 35 Biogon along with the V1. I also had the first version (retro version) of the aspheric Summicron. The V4 and V1 share a similar look. Both are sharpe with medium contrast and nice smooth transitions between tones and details. Really the Biogon shares similar qualities but a bit more contrast but not harsh or artificial. IMO the aspheric was hard edged and harsh transitions that looked unnatural to me.

Over the decades I also owned a black 35 Summilux I bought new in 1968 and much more recent a 35 Summilux FLE. The 1968 Summilux was similar to the 8 element from f2-2.8 and down. The FLE was a very good lens imo better in every way vs the retro aspheric Summicron. It was contrasty and sharp without that harsh artificial look. It was more like the Biogon.

It’s all personal taste and my preference is the smoother medium contrast look of the V1 8 element or V4 and the Biogon in high flare situations.

The LLL 8-Element is one of my most used lenses. It's a dual character optic in some ways. Wide-open it's low-medium contrast with good sharpness over the whole frame, but heaps of coma and astigmatism softening the impression away from the center. From 2.8 the contrast increases appreciably and the look is much more calm/precise.

Mona by Jim Fischer, on Flickr
Leica M5, Light Lens Lab 35mm f/2 8-Element (@f/2), Kodak T-Max 400, Xtol 1:1

Mona by Jim Fischer, on Flickr
Leica M5, Light Lens Lab 35mm f/2 8-Element (@f/2.8), Kodak T-Max 400, Xtol 1:1

There are at least two threads about the lens. the first is 228 pages ! long.... back when we ordered these lenses directly 3 yrs ago:
The other thread a year later.... 8 pages or so:

I'm still using mine as my main 35mm lens on M Leica

There are at least two threads about the lens. the first is 228 pages ! long.... back when we ordered these lenses directly 3 yrs ago:
The other thread a year later.... 8 pages or so:

I'm still using mine as my main 35mm lens on M Leica
The long/original thread has me jealous that I didn't jump at the opportunity to get the lens at such a low price :)

I read through all of it recently. There's some good stuff in there. The occasional not-so-thinly veiled Sinophobia also became tedious, though.

A few years ago there was a wonderful thread about this lens on RFf: but I can't find it anymore. I hope it is still there. Does anybody know how to get there?

gelatin silver print (LLL 35mm f2 prototype, copy of the first Leitz 35mm Summicron) leica m2

Amsterdam, 2020

Erik.

1700288667309.png

1700288775056.png

1700288933037.png

1700289263038.png

This one is with the original Leitz Summicron 35mm f2 made with 8 elements:

1700289509158.png

I sold the Leitz lenses (I had both the goggled and the normal versions) and kept the wonderful prototype in black paint that was presented to me by the representative of LLL in the US. It is a super fine lens, both mechanically and optically.

I can't find the original thread!

Erik.

Last edited:
Slumgullion, I've seen your photos over at Fred Miranda, and while the lens rendering is very appealing (I own one too), I have to say that your development regimen is fantastic. I love T-Max 400 developed in Xtol, and when I get some of the tonality I'm seeing in your photos, I'm really happy indeed. Yes, I realize that some adjustments can be done in post, but it's also good to start with a well developed negative. Yours are great, particularly the mentioned combo.

Back