W/NW: Panoramics (photos with aspect ratio of 2:1 or more)

I intended this to be a triptych panorama, but poorly aligned the three frames in camera. To make lemonade, I put the three frames through Photo Merge in Lightroom.

Nikon FM2n, AI Nikkor 50mm f/1.8S, Kentmere Pan 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes.

2023.04.09 Roll #327-07989-positive-Pano.jpg by dourbalistar, on Flickr

53341804232_7c2231568d_b.jpg

53342694501_3f9467050d_b.jpg

53341804102_8d98174648_b.jpg

Panasonic S1R (65:24 mode), Sigma 24mm F3.5 DG DN

I have a strange issue with my pano cameras (Widelux and Horizon) in really cold conditions (below -10C). First frame is with Widelux, I tested camera before and it does show some banding below 0C. Second frame is with Horizon S3 U500 and it's a same story (plus it made some blank frames after a while outside).
But what I can't address it those nasty dark spots, they only show when heavy banding is also present. Film I used is Fomapan 200, which I used it same day with Leica and no spots were spotted (pun itended).

0szS0EJ.jpg

0sHbGp9.jpg

All ideas are welcome, Widelux is already sent to CLA, and I don't plan to use it in such conditions anymore.

I have a strange issue with my pano cameras (Widelux and Horizon) in really cold conditions (below -10C). First frame is with Widelux, I tested camera before and it does show some banding below 0C. Second frame is with Horizon S3 U500 and it's a same story (plus it made some blank frames after a while outside).
But what I can't address it those nasty dark spots, they only show when heavy banding is also present. Film I used is Fomapan 200, which I used it same day with Leica and no spots were spotted (pun itended).

0szS0EJ.jpg

0sHbGp9.jpg

All ideas are welcome, Widelux is already sent to CLA, and I don't plan to use it in such conditions anymore.
This site discusses the banding issue: Widelux Tips & Tricks

In the Widelux shutter speed is determined entirely by the rotational speed of the turret. In the Horizon it is based on the width of the shutter slit and then modifies that further with the two different rotation speeds. So in a nutshell and variation in the turret rotation is essentially changing the shutter speed. The banding in the cold is probably due to the turret not spinning freely due to cold lubricants or changes in friction in the rotational governor. Not sure there is a fix for this other than maybe trying to spin the widelux turret a few times before taking the shot. You can actually just hand wind the turret backwards and release it to exercise the mechanism a bit. The shutter slit will be closed so no problems with exposure.

Back