W/NW Self Portrait

med_U45148I1538794978.SEQ.4.jpg

GR again / ER, outside Denver

My current avatar dates from oh 2013. GXR 33/2.5, natural light, shot through the shower glass. A time of difficulties professional and personal, imbalance between a newly chosen path of recovery and the friends and colleagues who were uncomprehending, and the onset of a cancer that eventually terminated an outgrown marriage. A time when one lives behind glass and wants to break it—then learns to treat it as a door and walk out. Life is far happier, more serene and amiable now.

I published the series here under the title Shielded.

med_U45148I1376836000.SEQ.4.jpg

med_U45148I1376836000.SEQ.3.jpg

med_U45148I1376835999.SEQ.1.jpg

med_U45148I1376835999.SEQ.2.jpg

med_U45148I1376835999.SEQ.0.jpg

My current avatar dates from oh 2013. GXR 33/2.5, natural light, shot through the shower glass. A time of difficulties professional and personal, imbalance between a newly chosen path of recovery and the friends and colleagues who were uncomprehending, and the onset of a cancer that eventually terminated an outgrown marriage. A time when one lives behind glass and wants to break it—then learns to treat it as a door and walk out. Life is far happier, more serene and amiable now.

I published the series here under the title Shielded.

med_U45148I1376836000.SEQ.4.jpg

Beautiful series, Robert. I think I remember seeing it when you first published it here on the forum. I like the one you've chosen as your avatar the best, it seems to capture the melancholy. Glad you had photography and art to turn to during a difficult time.

My avatar is also a self-portrait, but mine are more whimsy/vanity than anything. As in, "Oh, I have a Nippon Kogaku Tokyo t-shirt, let me take a photo of myself in the mirror with a Nikon camera and lens!" :D

Nikon FM2n, Nikkor-S Auto 55mm f/1.2, ORWO N74+, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 6.5 minutes.

2019.04.06 Roll #201-03474-positive.jpg by dourbalistar, on Flickr

img_8487.cr2.small.jpg

Myself after 7 weeks of radiation treatment due to a brain cancer. Lots of hair left apart from where the radiation (protons) entered.. I hope this treatment will keep the tumour quiet for some years. Time will tell.
Canon EOS 30D, EF 50mm/1.8 at 1/125 sec, f/2.5 and ISO1600.

Hi there, Sumatran ostrich ;)
sorry Peter, added after your reply below: 1981 was my first trip to Aisa, 3 months during vacation from Vienna University studying social anthropology.
Visited people I had studied about, first hill tribes in Thailand's far north, then went south and crossed to Sumatra, right :), to see "Batak" and "Minangkabau", highly unique and interesting people.
Minangkabau are one of strongest matriarchal societies alive, only women can own land and inheritance passes to the eldest daughter and they are Muslims: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minangkabau_people

should try to go through my old slides to see if I find more old self portraits
this one isn't very old, from 2007, me VERY tired late on a December night. That time and for many years I used to run a booth at a Christmas market in Vienna.
This meant working at open air during Austrian cold winter season for 10 hours a day continuously for 40 days.

self portrait 2
by andreas, on Flickr, Konica Minolta A2, Vienna 2007

Back