Fujifilm X-E4 camera
Fujinon XF 18mm f2 lens
April 2024 - Yokohama, Japan​

Nihon-Odori Boulevard​
U69954.1712610419.0.jpg

Fujifilm X-H1 camera
Fujinon XF 80mm f2.8 R LM OIS WR Macro lens

This is one of my most favorites (deliberate expression on my part) images...!

I've browsed in this thread every now and then, but today I decided to look thru the entire lot, all 30+ pages.

I did the first 10 pages, which took me almost two hours, pausing to explore every image I found capturing my interest, and reading your comments. Believe me when I say, there were many. Even many many.

I interest to return tomorrow to do pages 10 to 20, and later to do from page 21 onwards.

Mike, what a wonderful life you must have in Yokohama, to have the freedom to go out when you like and photograph as you please. Such a retirement is a blessing indeed.

Obviously you must speak Japanese, which would help? Do you. Maybe you have already written about this, but I've missed it. Apology from me if this is so.

I find myself wishing I had even only a small fragment of your talent in photographing people.

As I've posted in another thread of photos on Japan, there is surely an excellent book in this. A lot of work, I know, but you should consider it.

The Dogs of Yokohama​
U69954.1712694413.0.jpg

Fujifilm X-H1 camera
Fujinon XF 80mm f2.8 lens

Yet another delightful images. This from a cat lover, is something special...

Why is it that I cannot get such lovely colors with my XE2? I am now seriously wondering about this.

This is one of my most favorites (deliberate expression on my part) images...!

I've browsed in this thread every now and then, but today I decided to look thru the entire lot, all 30+ pages.

I did the first 10 pages, which took me almost two hours, pausing to explore every image I found capturing my interest, and reading your comments. Believe me when I say, there were many. Even many many.

I interest to return tomorrow to do pages 10 to 20, and later to do from page 21 onwards.

Mike, what a wonderful life you must have in Yokohama, to have the freedom to go out when you like and photograph as you please. Such a retirement is a blessing indeed.

Obviously you must speak Japanese, which would help? Do you. Maybe you have already written about this, but I've missed it. Apology from me if this is so.

I find myself wishing I had even only a small fragment of your talent in photographing people.

As I've posted in another thread of photos on Japan, there is surely an excellent book in this. A lot of work, I know, but you should consider it.

Thank you, DownUnder, your comments are sincerely appreciated. I do feel blessed to live so close to Yokohama; it's an amazing city. I'm not fluent in Japanese but I do manage to get by (survive) with with what I do know.

Again, thank you.
Mike

Yet another delightful images. This from a cat lover, is something special...

Why is it that I cannot get such lovely colors with my XE2? I am now seriously wondering about this.

I've been using the "PRO Neg. Hi" film simulation for my color photography. (BTW, I shoot JPEG not RAW)

Per Fujifilm: the "PRO Neg. Hi" offers slightly more contrast than "PRO Neg. Std". Recommended for outdoor portrait photography.

They say "portrait" but I use it for everything outdoors.

All the best,
Mike

Yokohama, Japan is my favorite city in the world. Share your pictures of Yokohama.

All the best,
Mike
Seems like a great place to be. And you have some cool shot there! I have a small question about nearby Yokosuka actually (and it's in your "non de plume" of course). In fact I am interested in its pronunciation .........I am informed that in the Japanese language pronunciation, the U sound following the letter S is "underprounced" or sometimes it seems not pronounced at all. (I have read that it is not pronounced when it follows a "voiceless consonant" which of course does not help me a lot as I have no idea what one of these is. :p . But I guess this means Yokosuka is not like Yok Oh Suka but more like yo kos'ka. Is this correct? (I am trying to learn a little about the Japanese language - I am in the process of reading about Japanese history (currently focused on the late Edo period and into the Meiji/Taisho/ Showa) and want to try to get pronunciation right - even if only in my own head as I have no one to speak to in Japanese.

PS it seems the "rule" might also apply to the "Z" sound preceding the U sound- for example I have heard Shizuoka pronounced Shizoka or Shizooka. At least that is how it sounded to me.

Hi Peter,

Yokosuka
Yo as in the string toy Yo-yo
ko as in Coed
su as in the name Suzy
ka as in cock-a-doodle-doo

Put it all together and it sounds like...

All the best,
Mike

Back