W: Photos in W/NW threads

R

Rich Silfver

I noticed that most people tend to upload attachments to the w/nw threads.
In the past they showed as thumbnails, now as links. Not sure if that is a permanent change or just a temporary glitch but regardless - I must admit I MUCH rather seeing the full images in the threads themselves. Having to click on a link to see the photo takes away a bit of the ease of seeing a lot of nice photos (especially if joining late and there are already 20ish photos and then I must admit I hardly click on any of the thumbnails/links but only look at the URL linked large images).

Am I the only one feeling this way?

I feel the same way.
The thumbnails made the W/NW threads easy to explore. The Camera&Coffee thread will be a LOT different, too, if this is not a temporary thing....
Rich: yes, that chair took my breath away!

lynn said:
I feel the same way.
The thumbnails made the W/NW threads easy to explore. The Camera&Coffee thread will be a LOT different, too, if this is not a temporary thing....

I remember when the thumnails were introduced - before that attachment were also displayed large if memory serves me right. Hated it. Still do.

Jon, thanks for that link. I bookmared it. Gonna have to try that...

I like full size images, but I don´t now how to post them large in a thread :bang:

It would be interesting to know the % of people using dial up conexion, a poll could be a good idea (no, I don´t know how to do it :bang:)

Last edited:
I'm all for this - up till now I didn't because of possible dial-up users - there can't be too many of them left, right?

Jorge can tell from the site stats. He knows what percentage of us are on Windows or Macs. What our screen size is and what our connection speeds are.

Most people also tend also tend to upload their pics in their galleries, then upload once more on the thread. It would be much easier and less burdensome for the site to just insert the image in the thread.

For those not familiar with doing this:
- right click on your image in the gallery (or on flickr, for instance)
- on advanced mode, click the 'insert image' button (to the right of the bullets button) and follow the directions.

I don't think the stats tell you what the users' connection speeds are; you can, however mine info such as browsers, OS, even geographical location.

I agree, Rich, I noticed the thumbnails thing right away; perhaps it was turned off for site efficiency? I hope not, but it could be the case.

Good and bad for both

Good for attachments:
- if you don't have a place to host your images
- small thumbs good for dialup
- small thumbs also good for those of us with older computers :p
- good for quickly looking to find interest
Bad for attachments:
- bogs down the rff server
- takes up disk space

Good for inline:
- images not stores on RFF
- no need to open additional windows/tabs
Bad for inline:
- may affect dialup users
- not everyone has a place to host their images

*shrug* I tend to like the inline images or just links, because I have a few places for my photos, and feel guilty taking up space here.

Jano

I much prefer having the images in the thread (up to a certain size of course). Nothing beats scolling through a page of photographs. With the advent of Flickr, Photobucket, etc. anyone can get space to host their images. Perhaps images in the gallery could have a cut-and-pasteable

When full size pictures are present in threads, the page jumps around like crazy for quite a while as the large images load. I find this aggravating. My vote goes to thumbnails in threads. Perhaps the thumbnails could be just a bit larger. When you see an interesting thumbnail, you can click on it to view.

FrankS said:
When full size pictures are present in threads, the page jumps around like crazy for quite a while as the large images load. I find this aggravating. My vote goes to thumbnails in threads. Perhaps the thumbnails could be just a bit larger. When you see an interesting thumbnail, you can click on it to view.

here, here! I dont have a dial up and it still takes a while .

I couldn't disagree more Frank..well I guess I "could" but you know what I mean...

It seems as if I'm pretty alone in this though - so take it for what it's worth.....potentially nothing.

This is a site focused on photography and gears - there will obviously be photos posted. By having photos displayed as thumbnails (yuck..I click on them 1 out of 10 times) or links (I never click on them - sorry but I don't) one is really ruining the experience in viewing a thread like a W/NW thread.

Anyone STILL using dial-up can set number of threads/page to a minimum. I don't think it's fair in 2006 to limit the photo viewing experience from the masses due to the fact that we still have some dial-up users or users that can't link to some FREE site like FLICKR, etc.

It would also give the RFF server a break by using links instead of keep uploading photos here.

Obviously just my two cents but I like photography and I like seeing photos from members here - but with links and thumbnails being used at least I won't see them (or the experience is not going to be what it could be).

That the screen 'jumps up and down as the photos load'. Well...a) get a faster connection or b) use fewer threads/page. I can't see it being even remotely as 'bad' as links or thumbnails.

OR...how about in W/NW threads that have a focus on photos - in THOSE threads photos will be displayed full size but in all other threads thumbnails could be used.
(Gotta love making assumptions like that without having a clue what either the site owner wants...or what the software can handle) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dial up is the only option for some folks. I don't think we should abandon them because clicking on a thumbnail is too troublesome for others.

Back