Waist level Kine exakta

rgraphex

Established
Local time
2:35 AM
So lately I have been putting together cheap old kine Exaktas. This week I'm using a model 1 with a wartime coated Biotar 5.8cm f2.

Anyhow I'm having some difficulty using the permanent waist level finder. I have bad eyes. Glasses thick as coke bottles.

Anyone know of aftermarket prism finders that would set on top of the waist level finder?

Thanks Randy

The cheaper option would be to invest in a slightly newer Exakta with exchangable viewfinders, then chose what you want. The later viewfinders include split prisms which makes everything much easier. I have a Varex with the waist level and a later prism to swap in. The pentaprism with split focus makes it a whole new camera. I don't mind plain glass in most situations but I found this useful. Mind you my lens is slower which doesn't help.

My Kine Exakta needs new curtains but its hard to justify when the Varex is nearly the same and just works.

I will tell you from experience, if you're having problems with the WLF, the eye-level prism is only going to make things worse for you.

Model V is the best option before the vx. Made like a kine model ii inside and out but you can change finders. Just got one next project.

I will tell you from experience, if you're having problems with the WLF, the eye-level prism is only going to make things worse for you.

Split prism or plain field? The later split prism finders are as good as any as far as I can see. Its the small size plain finders that I stuggle with. 6x6 plain finders are no trouble but the 35mm size I find pesky. Early Pentaxes are marginally better than the waist level Exactas, then anything with a split prism. Even, imho, an Exacta. I believe you can get later wast level finders with split prisms, or maybe I was just thinking of swapping the split prism in.

The Exakta WLF has a much higher magnification than the ELF. If you're having trouble focusing, the ELF will make it harder. The ground glass in the Kine Exkata isn't interchangeable for one with a split image prism like the later VX/Varex series of cameras. You have a pentaprism that sits on top of the WLF, as in the early Praktica cameras, it's a mickey mouse arrangement and a downgrade from just using the ground glass and magnifier.

Truth be told, you're not really going to find a better WLF on any camera, than what was fitted to Exaktas. The only real flaw on the Kine series is the lack of a cover to keep stray light out when using the magnifier, this was fixed on the later series of cameras.

Back