Want to buy Fuji Xt1 but hesitates due to reported problems

sharpf8

Established
Local time
9:45 PM
Hi. I have a Fuji X-e1 and I want to upgrade to an XT1, but worry about the reported loose rubber grip coming off & bowed port door cover. Have these problems been fixed in later copies? I can only afford an XT1, and not the XT2.

Thank you in advance for your help.

These seem like simple problems; as in without abuse, they would have shown up by now on any camera you might want to buy, and if they do occur later, the camera would still function with a bit of tape. Ask for pics before you buy.

The XT1 is a great camera.
Mine was built in 2015. It has no loose rubber or any other issues.
I think the loose rubber issue is primarily happening to heavy use cameras.
If you buy one in good condition, it seems likely you can keep it that way.
The 2nd hand price at this time is very attractive.

If you are scared to buy this camera due to these "issues" you may not want to buy any digital camera.

The XT1 is a great camera.
Mine was built in 2015. It has no loose rubber or any other issues.
I think the loose rubber issue is primarily happening to heavy use cameras.
If you buy one in good condition, it seems likely you can keep it that way.
The 2nd hand price at this time is very attractive.

This is the answer that calms my hesitation. Thank you, Andy. I am torn between an XT1 & X-E2s, but leaning towards the former. Cheers.

These seem like simple problems; as in without abuse, they would have shown up by now on any camera you might want to buy, and if they do occur later, the camera would still function with a bit of tape. Ask for pics before you buy.

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

I purchased a used X-T1 from a local shop last November. It had the bowed port door but came with the vertical grip, the price was good and the shop offered a 3-months warranty.

A couple of months later I did bring the camera for a trip in Havana. The camera started to overheat very rapidly and once hot, would shut down automatically after 1 or 2 pictures! Temperatures weren't even high : between 10 and 20 celsius during the day. Nothing suspicious happened to the camera (I am very careful with my gear).

Back from the trip, my shop sent the camera to Fuji Canada. When I got it back three weeks later, they had changed the motherboard, the port door, all the rubber grip and many other things...all without charging me. Kudos to Fuji, they did a great job and the camera has been working perfectly ever since.

I purchased a used X-T1 from a local shop last November. It had the bowed port door but came with the vertical grip, the price was good and the shop offered a 3-months warranty.

A couple of months later I did bring the camera for a trip in Havana. The camera started to overheat very rapidly and once hot, would shut down automatically after 1 or 2 pictures! Temperatures weren't even high : between 10 and 20 celsius during the day. Nothing suspicious happened to the camera (I am very careful with my gear).

Back from the trip, my shop sent the camera to Fuji Canada. When I got it back three weeks later, they had changed the motherboard, the port door, all the rubber grip and many other things...all without charging me. Kudos to Fuji, they did a great job and the camera has been working perfectly ever since.

I've read read many good reviews about the camera. In one of the reviews, someone had mentioned about the bowed port & loose rubber. If I were to buy brand new, I might have a better chance of not having these problems as opposed to buying preloved. Thanks to your reply. Cheers.

I have a pair of XT1 bodies in moderate event and travel use for nearly 3 years. No issue with the body covering or, for that matter, the card door or any ports.

I owned two X-T1s. I used them regularly on interiors photography gigs. I didn't baby these cameras at all. I occasionally used them in light rain for building exteriors, gardens, etc. I quit doing gigs and still own one X-T1.

I did not experience issues with the rubber grip coming off or the port door cover. In fact, I found them as robust as the D700 bodies they replaced. I had a D300 rubber grip loosen... I just re-glued it as soon as I noticed the problem.

In very hot climates, with extended hand-held use, and other extreme situations I can see where the X-T1 battery door and port door cover could fail before some other DSLRs would fail.

I owned two X-T1s. I used them regularly on interiors photography gigs. I didn't baby these cameras at all. I occasionally used them in light rain for building exteriors, gardens, etc. I quit doing gigs and still own one X-T1.

I did not experience issues with the rubber grip coming off or the port door cover. In fact, I found them as robust as the D700 bodies they replaced. I had a D300 rubber grip loosen... I just re-glued it as soon as I noticed the problem.

In very hot climates, with extended hand-held use, and other extreme situations I can see where the X-T1 battery door and port door cover could fail before some other DSLRs would fail.

Thank you for your reply. Many of the reported loosening rubber grip & bowed port doors were in 2014, when the camera was first launched. We only have 1 camera store in my geographic locale. I need to actually see & "feel" the camera in my hands to determine its ergonomics, handling, etc. I truly appreciate your reply. Cheers.

My x-t1 has been to several countries through rain and freezing weather. The button labels aren't even worn like they are on my x100. Very rugged camera. And seriously, your worries can be fixed with double sided tape.

I am torn between an XT1 & X-E2s, but leaning towards the former. Cheers.

As someone who is leaning the X-E2s route (or the next rev, if it comes out), can you elaborate why you are preferring the X-T1? Just wanna know if I am missing something. Thanks!

As someone who is leaning the X-E2s route (or the next rev, if it comes out), can you elaborate why you are preferring the X-T1? Just wanna know if I am missing something. Thanks!

I own an X-E1. It's slow in terms of focusing; its viewfinder has a narrower view than an XT1. I prefer the SLR-like behavior of the XT1. A matter of personal choice, if you ask me. :)

I own an X-E1. It's slow in terms of focusing; its viewfinder has a narrower view than an XT1. I prefer the SLR-like behavior of the XT1. A matter of personal choice, if you ask me. :)

FWIW
I have both the Xe1 and Xt1. They each serve a purpose.
The XE1 is super with a 27mm for everyday carry. The lower Mag vf gives a wider view nicely.
I'm using it mostly in daylight in a kind of "snap focus" mode (manual).
It focusses plenty fast this way and becomes a great tool.
The built in flash has also be come a great tool for fill and evening.

The XT1 is wonderful for Portrait and a closer view or for use with the excellent zoom lenses.
It's also much faster to write and when Auto Focus modes are more important it's super.
It's a heftier camera than the XE1 and not nearly as handy.
The XE1 with a simple hand strap is great!

I've thought of updating my XE1 to an XE2(s) but will wait for the XE3 if it comes.
Other than write speed, I don't think I would benefit from the faster AF in the XE2 the way I use it.
Plus I like to limit myself to skip at least one iteration with these cameras as they keep rolling onto the market.

It is nice to have many low budget choices of excellent quality.

@Sharpf8
Did you find an XT1 yet?

X-E2S vs X-T1? I have both. I like the VF placement on the X-E2S but I like the VF size on the X-T1. I'm not even a fan of EVFs but I've been pleasantly surprised with the one in the X-T1. The extra features and weather resistance of the X-T1 is nice to have but unnecessary for how I shoot photos. For example, I envisioned using the tilt screen on the X-T1 but, in practice, I never have. Both cameras are great in my opinion. Neither of them have any glaring faults that I've noticed.

Another cheer for Fuji Canada! I sent them my XT-1 because of a different problem that occurred when I dropped my camera. They fixed it, as well as the problems folks have mentioned, and they didn't charge for those. BTY, I also had previously simply fixed them with gaffer tape.

If you buy a used body, and run into those difficulties, don't hesitate to contact Fuji Canada!

I've had two x-t1s and both have been rock solid. Used in rain, dust, taken everywhere on strap and both have been flawless.

Back