WAR-TIME LEICA IIIb (1939-40)

FUJINON

Local time
9:23 AM
Hello Jim,
I have a war-time Leica IIIb that is in unused condition. It has a 3/8ths tripod socket base-plate so was not produced for the U.S. market.
I find it difficult to understand why a Leica camera, which was produced in 1940, should never have been used.
Is there any way that I could find out to which country Leitz sent this camera , and which Leica dealer took delivery of this war-time Leica IIIb in 1940.
Many thanks for any information you could provide.

Greetings Fujinon, Your IIIb looks new. 345762 is without question from 1940. With 3/8th's base it would be a European delivery The body cap you show is associated with deliveries 1940-1945 and is rather difficult to find.
I suggest you contact Leica Germany ( archive section) and they should be able to identify the country destination. I suspect a dealer will not be listed.
The IIIb is the last of the short base Leicas and has always been a favorite of mine. Thanks for writing, Jim Lager.

Many thanks Jim for your advice. I will write to Leica Germany (archive section) like you suggest and will post any further details when I hear back from Leica.
Many thanks indeed for this information.

Hello FUJINON, An older post here of yours, but I’m in the same situation and doing some research on a ‘war-time’ IIIb I have. I was wondering if you still have the camera and found any more information. My camera is ser. No. 349639. In very excellent condition (only some light chrome scuffs on the back edge top plate from a case, and some light scuffs/scratches on the bottom plate), with the smaller tripod socket baseplate. I wrote to Leica Wetzlar and they were happy to give me their record of the camera;

"Many thanks for your request.
The SN. 349639 was delivered on 24.4.1940 , the place of delivery or recipient is not noted.
No entry in the old maintenance/repair books for this serial."

The Nazi government banned all exports of 'vital military equipment' including cameras I found in the early part of 1940, a couple of months before this camera entered the records. Leica cameras were valued for export as foreign currency exchange before this. It may have been intended for export (the smaller tripod socket), but what happened after that is a mystery. It probably was not used by the German military if only because there is no Fl. top plate engraving, and survived the war in almost unused condition. My speculation is it may have been sold in a Nazi-occupied country, or even in Germany, and 'hidden way' and so not used much. Or even maybe keep at the Leitz Factory/employee because the "place of delivery or recipient is not noted."

It has the original pre-war fine-silk shutter curtains in good condition, the finder is clear, and RF split image is bright, camera's leather covering is very good. The camera seems to have spent most of its life in a case, has not been used very much at all, and needs a good cleaning of the old lubricants as the shutter speeds are sometimes off/sticky, otherwise, it is a very beautiful camera. It's 84th birthday is coming up in 2-months!

It came to me a couple of years ago. I've always wanted a IIIb, the last version of a somewhat rare original smaller body Leica, brass shutter cage, and with a few improvements; closer RF and viewfinder view, diopter adjustment location, 4-screw spring accessory shoe, and brass lens mount stiffeners (for a couple heavier lenses Leitz had introduced). It didn't come with a lens, but I have an early 1938 pre-production run of a 5cm Summitar with a 'bar-door' hood that looks great on it, and at some time Leitz applied lens coatings to this lens so its performance is very good.

That's what I've found, theories on the camera.
Best

I’m in research mode I guess… Just found this old classic connection blog post from Jim; Hi Jim if you do read this!

"Events to come in September 1939 surely had a sobering effect on Leica sales. Could equipment still be obtained? Did New York continue to receive merchandise? Delivery ledgers presently secured at Leitz Park suggest the last direct shipments from Wetzlar are dated 3.6.40 (June 3 , 1940). Included are the Leica IIIb and Elmars 35, 50,and 90mm plus a few 50mm Summitars and 135mm Hektors. Five Leica 250’s ( Reporters) equipped with the 73mm Hektor were shipped earlier on 23.10.39."

Although the camera I have, Leica informed me there was no record of ‘place of delivery or recipient,” Maybe it is possible it was shipped on the 3.6.40 date mentioned above to Leitz NY?

After reading this thread, I check my Barnack camera serial no. out of curiosity. It is 349380. Is it a Leica IIIB too?

It is in excellent condition, full working order. I paid $150 for it a few years ago and have been shooting with it sparingly. Its shutter is quite accurate but it is a bit louder than than of my IIIf.

Still doing the research thing and see you are also interested in this camera. Yes, your’s is a IIIb and not too far off mine! Nice to hear you are using it even if “sparingly,” How is its condition otherwise? Lens? As mentioned, with mine the shutter speeds sometime are unreliable so it is need of a cleaning and re-lubrication. DAG is the only person I’d trust with it, so I’m saving up for the funds for Don to do the work. Great camera to use!

Still doing the research thing and see you are also interested in this camera. Yes, your’s is a IIIb and not too far off mine! Nice to hear you are using it even if “sparingly,” How is its condition otherwise? Lens? As mentioned, with mine the shutter speeds sometime are unreliable so it is need of a cleaning and re-lubrication. DAG is the only person I’d trust with it, so I’m saving up for the funds for Don to do the work. Great camera to use!
It is in good functional order. Only 1s sounds a little longer, else all speeds work great. VF/RF is contrasty and accurate too.

I got it without a lens but mostly using it with an early uncoated nickel Elmar 5cm (with knob number 1.)

IMG_2372.jpg

Last edited:
BTW; that 5cm Elmar of yours looks to be a very early version, nickel with the ‘knob’ no rings on the top focus tab (not spring locking, and small 'o' just above the tab) - nice. Originally on a Leica C standard 1931.

Last edited:
BTW; that 5cm Elmar of yours looks to be a very early version, nickel with the ‘knob’ no rings on the top focus tab (not spring locking, and small 'o' just above the tab) - nice. Originally on a Leica C standard 1931.
Yes, this Elmar is a very early version, likely ca 1926. According to a Leica Forum member this lens is known as an old type Elmar, made with Geortz's glass rather than from Zeiss/Schott. The knob no.1 means its true focal length is 49.6mm. No sure if it is really true though.

Back