Yashica LTM Was it a Yashica?

Yashica M39 M39 screw mount bodies/lenses

Dralowid

Michael
Local time
7:21 PM
I can't remember....

As a student I had a camera that looked a little like an 'M', was an interchangeable ltm and had a flap on the back that opened like an 'M'.

I remember quite a good viewfinder/rangefinder. Lens had quite a wide aperture. Whole thing felt much more modern than my Leica III.

It wasn't expensive...am I right in thinking it might have been a Yashica?

I swapped it for a collapsible Summicron.

Michael

A great camera. Very smooth, and with frame lines much like an M3. Here in Japan the YF is a desirable and rather expensive camera. The Nicca 3L version is even more desirable, and clean models sell for as much as an M3.

Many years ago, a local dealer had one of these. It was in his window for months, probably more than a year. The price was very keen and I kept thinking about it, thinking about it, thinking about it...

Needless to say, when I finally made my mind up and went in with my card in my sweaty paw, he told me he'd sold it just that week.

I keep telling myself that I don't mind.

:bang:

I found one in a Goodwill store. It had a very hazy Canon 50/1.8, the film spool support stud was missing, and someone ran a fingernail along the shutter. I cleaned the lens, made a temporary replacement for the spool stud, and sealed the shutter with some fabric paint. It's got some film transport issues that may or may not be related to the spool support, and somehow I lost the film loading instruction placard in the bottom of the camera. So when I finally save up some money, I'll be sending it in for an overhaul. I never got through a whole roll of film without it malfunctioning, but what I did get was very nice.

PF

Oh, it'll go higher than that. Right at the last moment there will be a flurry of collectors trying to out-do each other. I've only seen one instruction manual for sale, and the BIN price for it was $75 (about 48 pounds). the Yashinon 1.8 was the export version, with the Yashicor 2.8 reserved for the home market. And this one has the original lens cap, too. Yes, there are probably fifty or more watchers on this one, just biding their time.

Here's mine with the Canon 1.8/50, and a Series VI filter and hood.

Yashica YF (NICCA) with Canon 50mm f1.8 by br1078phot, on Flickr

PF

A Pro photographer asked me to shoot some models, on Saturdays. I was still in High School..I had to use a Hasselblad. The studio lighting was not the brightest and my focusing skills were worse. I noticed this Yashica/Nicca RF. I focused that and set distance on Hasselblad. A "whoosh" over my head was a light stand swung by the irritated pro! He was so angry of my using that "cheap" camera for focus.. Actually i later borrowed it and it really was a nice camera.

That's a nice price, if it's actually in good working condition. It will probably need a going over seeing as it's been sitting for many years.

PF

Back