We Surrender: sign of the hard times

Wow...haven't seen this thread in a long time and not going to spend time reading all of it, though it looks interesting.

"The richest man in the world is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least." - A wise person.

Back to the OP:

Chris, I wonder if you thought about a documentary on the effects of the economic turmoil in the Fort Wayne area? I am working on something similar around my town but I need to spend a LOT more time on it.:eek:

Same in Europe. Ten years ago in our village there was a butchery, a dairy shop, a bakery, a greengrocery and a hair salon.

Today we have a common grocery, two hair salons and a nail bar :confused: Nice progress to the important things of live...

Yeah... Our butcher has closed, and is now a beauty salon. We do however (still) have a baker, a chemist (drugstore, pharmacy), grocer's, two café-bar-brasseries, and, um, yes, a hairdresser. And a post office, and a primary school, and a cheese-maker's (goat farm), a bank (cash machine and open two days a week), and a doctor and a dentist (the last only two days a week). The nearest butcher is 2-3 miles (3-5 km) away in the next village, along with another café-bar-brasserie and two garages (we have none). But we do have two visiting butchers (an hour or two a week each in their trucks) a visiting fishmonger (an hour a week), and a visiting shellfish-seller (Sunday mornings).

I cannot work out how some villages have so (relatively) many shops, and so many others have none.

Cheers,

R.

Last edited:
Olsen is right. Norway has a net fortune through our pension fund called NBIM (Norges Banks Investment Managment). We even have clock counting how much money we have: http://www.nbim.no/en/

While the newspapers in many countries expresses worries about how to pay down national debt our newspapers are full or articles about how to invest our fortune as wisely as possible. This NBIM is a Sovereign Wealth Fund larger than that of China (SAFE): Look down this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_wealth_fund

Last edited:
Best description of net debt is this:

"The difference between a country's external financial assets and its liabilities (also referred to as external debt) is the net international investment position (NIIP).[1] Both public and private held external assets and liabilities by legal residents of the respective country are hereby taken into account. [2]
A country's international investment position (IIP) is a financial statement setting out the value and composition of that country's external financial assets and liabilities.
International Investment Position = domestically owned foreign assets - foreign owned domestic assets".

Look up this list. Please note that the figures of International Investment Position is in local currency:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_international_investment_position

Olsen,

Also this is misleading since it includes private debt and liabilities. As for instance, Sweden has a net governmental debt of some 400 billion Swedish Kroners (ca 67 billion US$). As you mentioned. We must have seen the same newspaper article. Which is technically the amount of Swedish currency circulating in the economy and which "the Swedish people have borrowed from the banks. In other words, a book keeping technicality. And not real debt.

Spoks,

I agree.

But I could not find anything else. Why is it impossible to find a list of countries by their 'net governmental debt'?

Back