Wedding Photographers - Where and do you find second shooters?

haring

Established
Local time
12:23 PM
I a wedding photographer. I need second shooters for some of my upcoming weddings. My question: where and do you find second shooters?

Thanks so much!

Interesting post...
Yesterday, I was asked to fill in as Second Shooter for Wedding today...
I've known Alan for five or six years now and we've discussed photography many times...I know he does Weddings and really likes it...I was going to ask him someday if I could ever tag along and be a third shooter getting filler/fluff stuff or B&W...
Maybe you can start by getting someone you can Mentor as a filler/fluff shooter and grow them into a Second Shooter...

I'm also really curious about this, as I am a second shooter looking to work with more wedding photographers. So far I've found soem work through the local photo-services section of kijiji (but boy, some days that is wadding into murky waters), and I've done some cold-calling as well as networking through the local professional photographer's association (PPOC, equivalent to the PPA).

One thing for photographers looking to take on a second photographer, or others like me looking to be that second shooter - be very aware of the primary photographer's insurance coverage. I carry my own business insurance because contractors (ie second shooters) are not covered under insurance here. Aside from the realities of having general liability insurance in this day and age, some locations (churches, convention centers, etc) require you to be insured while working on their premise. I'm always surprised when I talk with other part-time photographers who don't bother with insurance or realize that contractually they may need it.

I’d be surprised if you were not inundated by messages from people wanting to be our second shooter if you posted something on the “social medias”. Or perhaps in a forum such as this one. But who knows, maybe there is a shortage.

I got to be a second shooter once because the original one had a schedule conflict, and recommended me. We happened to work together in our regular jobs, so that's how he knew to ask me.

I don't remember exactly how he got the second gig, but the main photog was familiar with his work, and asked me later on if I would consider doing second camera work too. But that was the last wedding I ever worked, as it just wasn't for me.

So look around, see who is doing weddings in your town, maybe they can tell you who is available.

PF

I was once a second shooter for weddings when I worked for a studio in southern California.

I hated that job (shooting weddings) more than any other job before or since. But, I'm sure there are some folks out there who must enjoy wedding photography :rolleyes:.

BTW, I certainly did enjoy the remainder of my duties at the studio and I learned a lot! One thing I learned: avoid weddings like you would avoid Ebola.

Back